1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dsp fan, Oct 10, 2004.

1. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I am really just starting to get my head around this but if money was not object (it never is) how about a survey on what the best items are for a HCPC obviously taking into consideration compatibility to an extent.
    Here are some of my conclusions, anyone else:

Processor 3.0 GHZ intel/AMD
    RAM 1GB min
    Hard Drive 160GB min
    O/s XP Prof
    DVD Player Theatretek
    front end - XLobby
    DVD catalogue - DVD profiler
    Graphics Card - ATI 9800 XT ? overkill ? Does it do scalling to 1080i DVI HDMI output ?
    PVR card ?
    Freeview card ?
    NTL Cable card ?
    DVD/CD Rom writer/reader?
    HCPC case - UVEM classic case
    CD catalogue - itunes
    INputs - Firewire USB2 ??
    Keyboard - wireless ??
    Windows Media 10 player for whd

In trying tobuild up to the ultimate HCPC, i thought it would be good to start to go for the right case and DVD ROM player with the theatretek sw and something that would play HiDef content files output to 1080i, then build from there.

Any suggestions on how i achieve this and a little future proofing to keep the boss in doors happy. ?
    thanks i look forward to your feedback. Or is it a case these days where you just go get one built full spec and bite down hard on everything ?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you're planning to use FFDSHOW for video processing you'll want more than a 3.0G processor for any sort of decent resizing and noise reduction etc.

Also, from discussions on AVS it appears the nVidia 6600GT is probably the card of choice now instead of ATIs. TheaterkTek 2 will do HD I believe, it also will play .TS streams.

My choice of DVD drive would be a LiteOn, there's a utility that resets region codes indefinitely so it's preferable IMO to having to use an RPC1 flasher .. the point is moot of course if you plan to use AnyDVD for the conveniences it gives like 'play movie' if you don't plan to rip to hard disk using DVD Decrypter.

3. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is this question just too wide ? , been covered off before ? not of interest to the pros who are already beyond this ??

I am pretty new and trying to get my head around the next step. I think I want to spend some money but need a little direction from the forum on how to spend wisely.

Happy to share my mistakes once on route.

thanks again in advance

tony

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't have any TV stuff on my PC so anything concerned with DVB cards etc. are beyond me .. though I know for a fact I think that there's no such thing as an 'NTL card'.

Front-ends like 'Lobby' are by and large personal I think, as are computer cases and other 'environmental' aspects of an HCPC ... you can't say 'x is better than y' without going into all sorts of discussions about personal requirements.

Perhaps the issue is too broad.

5. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why on earth do you think you need XP Professional ?

1 Gig of memory is overkill.

What is there to talk about inputs ? - "Yes, USB2 and FireWire are the current inputs"

Talking about requirements for HiDef TV is far too premature if you are talking about the UK - no UK broadcasters are transmitting yet and the EU standard was only decided on last month. Sky decided on a different standard. No one can give you advice on HiDef that is meaningful yet. Unless someone if going to send you US HiDef captures.

It sounds like you are very eager. Why not buy some equipment and get stuck in.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Also missing a remote control .. a wireless keyboard/mouse is fine, I love Gyration kit, but you'll need a wireless or IR remote, I use iMon Inside and ATI Remote Wonder at different times.

7. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    You'll need to migrate to a PCIe motherboard to take advantage of the 6600GT as a AGP is not due out till end of the year. I heard that Abit are due to release a NForce 4 board and Asus support 600Mhz on the memory speed.

For HTPC use, It would be nice to see with this new gfx card how small a processor you can use. If the onbaord video processor is as good as it's hyped to be, then there is no reason for most to step outside of a PCIe SFF (if they are due out) for HTPC use if connected to a server for supply of films.

The ulitmate HTPC would be a PCI-e micro ITX that can boot from say a 4gb CF card or even the network. With just xp and TT2 with all films accessed via a server. With a 600GT gfx card and a xlr balanced souncard that support WHD surround sound. And a touchscreen monitor to control the system via xlobby.

8. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks for the input guys, it seems to be very personal and at the cusp of the next phase.

I will spend some money and ask some questions.

keep the advice coming i am a sponge.

tony

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Why PCI-e? Yes, the AGP version of the 6600GT will be a month later than the PCI-e version (according to nVidia at any rate), but what does PCI-e offer an HCPC over PCI+AGP boards?

10. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I thought PCI-e was faster than AGP?

Maybe i've got it wrong :confused: Isnt faster better when pursuing the ULTIMATE? ;)

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No you're right, it is faster .. that's my point, I don't see any area of HTPC processing where an 8x AGP is a limiting factor.

Of course, as a willy-waving exercise then PCI-e is pretty much bleeding-edge. :D

12. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Willy-waving and bleeding-edge together make me feel a bit faint.

13. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Willy waving :eek: only just got mine to :censored: spit :censored: at women :smashin: - you are a clever dick. :p

My thought was that pci-e motherboard also take pc's to the next level and allow for even faster memory speeds. Mind you as you say doubt this will improve HTPC use.

Lets wait till TT2 is out and see if it's worthy of the hype and delay :mad:

14. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to be kidding me?

I need a processor more than 3.0Ghz?

I have an intel 3ghz prescott .. Do I need something more powerful?

:eek:

15. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still not sure, 3.0ghz prescot or 3000+ 90nm athlon64 - do we need to consider more power?

16. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    IMO no.

You can get high quality resizing using Theatertek and FFDShow with a P42.8 Ghz and a decent video card. In my case I run a 2.8 plus a GeFroce 6800GT and I am ecstatic with the image quality. Don't be too concerned with the noise reduction, in my opinion it simply ends up making the image look too processed. I only use FFDShow for resizing and a little sharpening. Runs like a dream on my gear - so 3.0Ghz should be fine.