The Ultimate Freesat+HD PVR setup for 2012

daarrgh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been saving my pennies and am now ready to take my first steps into HD tech. And I need your help.

I have decided to buy a Philips 37PFL7605H/05. (feel free to let me know if you think that I should go for a Sony, Panasonic or anything else and why)

We would like you guys to reccomend to us the best Freesat Box available that has.......
Recording capabilities,
A responsive GUI that my wife and kids can navigate if I'm not there,
A remote that is well made and isn't the size of a VHS cassette,
A reasonably simple setup,
A good track record.

What do you think?

Humax Foxsat HDR.

Visit the TV section for TV info, personally I'd go bigger and would only consider a plasma but each to their own.

Sony and Panasonics are worth the small extra cost in terms of reliability.

Bog standard if not the best - Sagem

If you are particularly interested in doing fun things like sending an SD version of what you receive over your home network to a computer or tablet or watch from abroad via a good internet connection at both ends. the Echostar with its Slingmedia capabilities.

Probably most highly regarded and certainly the most supported by users writing software to add features like remote booking of recording - the Humax. Prices vary according to hard disc size and the admittedly largeish remote control can also be programmed to operate your TV, DVD or audio system. Will also access the Freesat HD version of the BBC iPlayer and the ITV Player. It is so far the only freesat box to do the latter.

The Samsung is a mid priced model that apparently has been much improved by software updates.

If you want to archive to DVD (SD) or Blu-Ray for HD, Panasonic do a small range of boxes with the relevant recording decks built in. Only really useful if you want to take them from home as a better alternative for archiving is to attach a separate hard drive to a Humax (the archived HD recordings can only be played back on the original machine due to copy protection restrictions).

Richer Sounds are currently doing the Humax, Samsung and Panasonic Freesat receivers. I mention this as they self fund a 5 year warranty for 10% of the price so presumably are satisfied that these margues are reliable.

Humax Foxsat HDR.

Visit the TV section for TV info, personally I'd go bigger and would only consider a plasma but each to their own.

I will visit the TV sectio right away.
I am fascinated about your opinion on plasmas. i thought it was old and heavy technology. There are some amazing deals going on plasma tv's right now.

Is this the Humax you would recommend?

Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder for ÂŁ233 on Amazon

I wonder if we would need such a big HDD. I can't see us recording stuff that we would watch again and again. I can always download stuff that I wish to keep.

BTW, the Cnet review for the TV you are interested in mentions good quality sound but awful picture processing software that should be turned off to get the best picture.

It does not have a Freeview HD tuner which is becoming standard (and causing picture problems with some makes and models, notably LG). My suspicion is that large screen TVs without that will be being cleared out in the Christmas sales so you should get a good deal. The only downside for you will be that Five HD may launch a little later than its Freeview HD version but this will depend on exactly when their contract with Sky ends.

I am fascinated about your opinion on plasmas. i thought it was old and heavy technology.

Plasma and LCD are both old technologies but they continue to be developed so it is not a concern. I do not stand in my living room holding my TV so I'm not concerned about it's weight... :D the heavier the better I say as it generaly implies better build quality. Enjoy the TV sections then get yourself to an independant dealer who will have the TVs setup in living room like lighting conditions and judge for yourself.

Is this the Humax you would recommend?

Yes, 320gb is the smallest size you can get, though its an older version and you should be able to get it cheaper. The 500gb should be around the price you mentioned. Humax Direct also sell factory refurbs with 1 year warranty.

What do you think?
Hi.
The range of HD PVRs is really quite small and here they all are: freesat+ HD TV recorder - freesat.
Humax is the name that gets mentioned around the forum most and although they're all made to same specification that may have some advantages so there's no reason not to go with the crowd!
You mention the 320gB version having too much capacity, but actually that's small for any PVR and you'd probably soon find that you needed something bigger.
The same applies to the TV and you'd get a better 42" LCD or plasma for less than the price of the Philips - which writes itself off anyway by not having an HD Freeview tuner.
As you're looking for ultimate capability for next year you need at least to have Smart features and 3D capability.
I don't get the point about plasma TVs being "heavy", and although I too used to think the technology had been left behind, it now seems to have caught up, and the price difference would certainly encourage me to look at them now if I needed something new.

Last edited:
Yes, 320gb is the smallest size you can get, though its an older version and you should be able to get it cheaper. The 500gb should be around the price you mentioned. Humax Direct also sell factory refurbs with 1 year warranty.

Comet now have new 320GB Foxasat's for just a couple of quid more than the Humaxdirect refurbs.

I have found that the Philips TV's are more expensive. Is this not the case in the UK?

It's hard to find exactly comparable models. Panasonic are generally a bit more expensive than Sonys, Phillips TV's you rarely see these days in retail outlets in the UK are maybe midway between the two.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom