THE ULTIMATE EDITION!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ace007, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm starting to get REALLY FED UP!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have been browsing a few sites and notice not only is there an ULTIMATE EDITION for The Mummy but also for American Pie and now for Notting Hill.

Why don't they bring these out in the first place??? because they want to RIP OFF the consumer....no other reason for it really!

How many copies of the same damn film must we own for the studios to be satisfied?

Cheers
    Ace

2. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree.

I realise that on first release that there may be some differences in extras between regions due to copyright or some other silly reason.

What I don't find fair is that the movie is released in a region with extras on it that should of been included in the first place.

The first release DVD should be the Ultimate Edition !!

3. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +697
    Hey Ace And Glimmer,
    Have you also noticed how many limited edition dvds are beginning to show their face on the net.Limited edition 30,000 copies then 50,000,soon they will have limited editions 2 million copies,the total seems to be rising all the time......what a rip off....as you rightfully say Ace they must be making a mint already....but I guess if people keep buying these discs at higher prices who am I to argue.

:)swartzy :)

4. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, i,m really p!!!!d off with it now as well, everything"s special edition, i,ve just payed through my nose for the criterion edition of s of the lambs to find out that there,s another spec edition coming out with everything and it,s in 5.1 for £15. :mad:

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Silence Of The Lambs DVD doesn't have most of the supplements of the previous one. Criterion as a rule don't give the supps to anyone else.

6. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can add Meet Joe Black to the ULTIMATE BOLLOKS list!

I just managed to get hold of Robocop Criterion and was shocked :eek: to discover it was only in ProLogic!!!! After all the trouble I went to in order to get it! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ace

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Ace, (and everyone else),

As the saying goes: "You pay's your money, and take's your chance!"

Some of the best films, aren't always presented in the best way. I own the Criterion Edition of both "RoboCop" and "Hard-Boiled", but one is in Mono, and the other, as you rightly say, is in Pro Logic. I still think they're worthwhile DVD's though.

However, no matter what we say or do, there will always be a bigger, better, more desirable edition of a film out there. The same applies to cars, stereo systems, DVD players, computers, books, etc, etc. The list is endless.

All you can do, is either wait until the edition that you feel is the best for you, comes out, or else keep buying every edition of a film released, and flogging them off second-hand, until you find one that you want to keep for definite! I know that is a bit of a crappy scenario, but that's the way it is. Sometimes I buy a film as soon as it is released, and then am dismayed to find a newer, super-improved edition is due out. Then again, sometimes I wait.

I could have bought "Die Hard" several times over, but have waited until the up-and-coming THX edition. Maybe, they will release a bigger, better edition in 6 months, but there's not much I can do.

Apologies for such a negative posting. I'm not slating you personally. It's just as frustrating for me, and every other DVD fan to find their fave film, is to be re-released again, with something extra. But... what can we do?

The answer is this: be more selective in what you buy! Don't always buy a DVD the exact day it gets released. It's not essential to have a DVD on the day of release, (although it is nice to do this)! If you think that a better edition is due out soon, then maybe the best solution is to wait awhile, and see what news comes out! Then make an informed choice.

Surely it makes more sense to wait for some "big" titles, than to keep buying it, over, and over, and over again, just like with the "Star Wars Trilogy" on VHS! Maybe we simply have to be content with what we currnetly have, until the difference between our current edition, and the latest released edition is really worth shelling out for....?

Pooch

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: PoochJD ]

9. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PoochJD,

So what you saying is don't get the ULTIMATE EDITION, instead wait for "THE NEVER BEFORE SEEN FOOTAGE OF NOTHING SPECIAL ADDED JUST SO WE CAN GET MORE MONEY OUT OF YOU SUCKERS" version?

From your potst it seems you are content on shelling out money for new versions of films?
    Flippers should NEVER of happened!
    Pro Logic films (especially made in the last 20 years) should NVER happen!

We have waited Sooo long for certain films namely Star Wars but you can be sure once it's released on DVD at some point there will be a new version with all new interviews with the Tea Boy....

When you make comments like "that's the way it is" it really doesn't do consumers any favours. We get ripped off enough as it is and shouldn't just accept it.

Quote:
    All you can do, is either wait until the edition that you feel is the best for you, comes out

How do you know this is the case? Do you have inside information when another version is in the pipeline?

Quote:
    Apologies for such a negative posting. I'm not slating you personally. It's just as frustrating for me, and every other DVD fan to find their fave film, is to be re-released again, with something extra. But... what can we do?

As you know the Editor of HCC browses these forums, maybe it could inspire him into writing an article about it. Remember some Studios are more likely to bring out ULTIMATE EDITIONS than others. Either way there's no harm in discussing it or airing your views.

Ace

10. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear what you are saying, and patience is a virtue.

When The Mummy came out on DVD I was quite happy with all the extras on it and had no reason to believe that another edition would come out !!

If a first release DVD blockbuster comes out pretty much stuffed with extras I would buy it.

11. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to completely agree with ace007, they are taking the p.ss, they really should make clear what editions there is coming out and what will be on them so you have the choice to go and buy the release version or hang on for the muts nuts version, at least then you know where you stand, it,s not has if it happens on a few occassions, it,s all the time now. :mad:

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Ace, (and everyone else),

Thanks for all the responses, which have made interesting reading. I would to like to say the following, in my defense, if I may:

1) I am not saying that people shouldn't get whatever Ultimate Edition is availabe. All I'm saying is, that there are some films (like the Star Wars movies) that you know will be re-released with some more extras, due to a cinema release in the US, or to tie in with an anniversary, or a seasonal holiday.

2) Ace said: "From your post it seems you are content on shelling out money for new versions of films?" Yes, and no. Yes, I don't mind, if the newer version is significantly better than the old version I own. I can always flog the old one, second hand. Then again, no, because like everyone says, it is taking the mickey out of consumers, having to buy multiple copies.

3) Ace also said: "Flippers should NEVER of happened!" and "Pro Logic films (especially made in the last 20 years) should NVER happen!" I agree with you on Flipper discs, but then I never purchased one, so I guess I was lucky in that respect. As for Pro Logic films, check out the recent 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY thread, a little bit further down the list, and there is an interesting point made.

4) I totally agree with Ace that we shouldn't simply accept things the way they are, but sometimes we consumers are powerless, and big, faceless companies just do as they please, anyway, regardless. Sometimes, by taking proactive action (e.g. stopping buying R2 titles, etc), we could potentially do more harm than good. (The companies might see our refusal to buy films that only have a stereo soundtrack, as a way of them refusing to release any films, full stop! I'm not saying that will happen, but it could.)

Finally, when I said that "All you can do, is either wait until the edition that you feel is the best for you, comes out", I don't have a crystal ball, nor do I have access to inside information. However, sometimes it isn't necessary to buy a film on the very first day of its release. I bet that within 6 months, a newer, better edition of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" will be released, somewhere in the world! Yes, it'll be a pain in the butt to everyone who has shelled out on the R3, R1 or R2 editions, (including myself!) but then what else do we do?

As for my apology, I didn't want Ace or anyone else to feel that I was attacking them personally. It is great to air our grievances in these forums, and hopefully people (and companies) will listen to customers, and improve their products, but we can't expect changes to take place as quick as we might like them to. I am neither siding 100% with the customers nor am I siding 100% with the companies who release the DVD's. I'm simply looking at both sides of the situation, and then making my opinion heard.

Okay, posting endeth! :)

Pooch

P.S. Chryst said: "They (companies) really should make clear what editions there is coming out and what will be on them so you have the choice to go and buy the release version or hang on for the muts nuts version, at least then you know where you stand." As much as that would be nice, they aren't going to do that, because they will loose sales. Also, technology moves faster than we humans can contemplate. A good example are computers. As soon as you buy a new, up-to-the-minute PC, by the time it leaves the shop or showroom, or warehous, it's out of date. Who's to say that in 6 months time, someone won't invent a way of getting a 4-hour film like the Director's Cut of "Dances With Wolves" on one single layer of a single-sided, dual layer disc, complete with a DTS 6.1 soundtrack, the entire CD-audio soundtrack, and tons of extras that take over 2 hours to watch? It's feasible, if unlikely. But wouldn't that be a good thing? Yes, it may mean having to buy a new DVD for £15 or whatever, but it would still be worthwhile, wouldn't it?!

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: PoochJD ]

13. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    Just a little reminder to folks about 5.1 remixes - in order to do one you need all the original sound elements that made up the original soundtrack to be both available and in good enough condition to remix, which isn't always possible.
    But....in the cases of most films mentioned here, it's just a case of the distributors giving us a length from behind, which never feels too good really, rather than the sound elements not being available.

I really would like to see the original soundtrack as an option aswell as 5.1 remixes on many of the films that get released. I still think the mono track that Jaws had was perfectly servicable and should really have been included on the disc....hey, maybe that's reason enough to release it as an ULTIMATE edition