The ultimate DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by scook17, Aug 28, 2002.

1. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have an old Samsung DVD player I bought many years ago, which I intend to replace. I wanted the following, in order of preference, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest such a player:

1. Component Video Output.
    2. Coaxial Dolby Digital Out.
    3. Progressive Scan.
    4. Plays DVD-R disks.
    5. Multi-region.
    6. Macro vision disabled.

Five and six are not absolute requirements, but nice to haves.

Any suggestions as to which DVD player to look at? Thanks.

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

2. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd re-order that since so few players do PAL progressive.

1. Component Video Output.
    2. Coaxial Dolby Digital Out.
    3. Multi-region.
    4. Progressive Scan.
    5. Plays DVD-R disks.
    6. Macro vision disabled.

And I'd suggest a good choice would be the Pioneer DV-747A from techtronics with the Enterprise mod. It does do progressive PAL, and I'm guessing that this comes through as 625/25p but I'm not totally sure on the notation.

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-pioneer-dv-747-multi-region-dvd-player.html

C

3. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the price of progressive scan, I'm not so sure I want it. I'll wait until progressive scan comes down to sensible money.

I've found the 'CYBERHOME AD-L528' for around £99 and it's multi-region with component video out. Anyone had any experience with this one? Does anyone know if it plays DVD-R disks?

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

5. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    You asked for the ultimate dvd player ??????

What you should of said was
    Best Budget Player :D

6. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What equipment is this to be used with? I ask because of the feature list you are seeking and the price you are willing to pay.

7. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the DVD player with a Toshiba 56 WH08, a 56" widescreen rear projection TV. My current player is a Samsung 909. I'm happy with this, except it doesn't play DVD-Rs and it doesn't have component video out. I bought it before I got the DVD-R recorder for my PC and the Toshiba TV. I thought, as I had a big TV, progressive scan would be useful, but it comes at a very high price.

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    But your tv isn't PS capable is it?

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nic is correct.

10. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might assume a 100Hz TV could accept a progressive scan signal, but no, we're still stuck in the dark ages. Progressive scan seems to be aimed at the US HDTV market, from what I've read tonight, so it doesn't seem much use for PAL anyway.

My £99 cyberhome DVD player seems to be all that is required.

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

11. snyphr

snyphr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shane

Compared to the picture of the 909 that you have right now the ADL528 will look sub standard and you will be DISAPOINTED :mad: . And when you see the LACK OF DETAIL:eek::eek: , especially on a 56" TV, it will make things WORSE. The picture is no better than vcr, very grainy and pixelated!

I don't deny that for £99 you get a fantastic player and lots of features that you wont find on players that are double the money. But then again the picture....:eek:

For most people who are virgins to dvd, this is a great product and they don't notice the little flaws that the player has. But if you've owned a player and are thinking of getting this as a second player then be warned.:devil:

I'd suggest that you pay that little extra and go for something like a Toshiba SD220e or Sony 305 if you're looking at the budget end of the market. You'll get far better picture quality...:D

12. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I would be inclined to go with the Toshiba SD220e if price is a deciding factor.

13. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just read the review on www.whatvideotv.com and the Toshiba one appears to be quite a nice player.

It was when the 909 first came out I bought it. I thought all DVD players were fairly much the same these days, given the advances in technology now over four years ago. I didn't realize the Cyberhome one was blocky, and no, I would not have been happy with that either.

Thanks for the help guys!

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.

14. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs.

oh and...
    You can get some great cheap players, a friend has the Mico Classica 20 as recommended by HCC, under £100 from Sainsbury's, and multiregion with a remote handset hack. It gives a very decent picture, and I only paid 170 last week for a modded Pioneer 454 which I think is far better in every way than the 525 that cost 300 just 3 years ago.

15. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Accoring to the Toshiba site, none of their players claim to play DVD-R disks. Do the Toshiba players play DVD-R disks? This is the main reason for updating my DVD player.

BTW, is the SD120E much different from the SD220E? There doesn't seem to be much difference between them.

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.