The Ultimate DVD player?

Gingerone,

You'd be right if this was the final solution, but it's not (previous centre speaker was a Merid. DSP33C) - my tactics are all about 'one step at a time', rather than a BIG step up in one go which would prob. have caused a big 'domestic' (WAF again). It's worked so far :D , so I must be doing something right - rest assured a good projector driven by good scaler is next on the list for those long winter nights. I had already said that audio is more important that video (mind you the Tosh does look a bit odd stuck on the top of the DSP5500C - it's HUGE).

Aid.

Ah right, I was wondering as to logic of having such a good player with a crt.
Can't say I'm not a teensy bit jealous mind you!

I haven't seen any of the £5K+ units in action so can't comment on those. I have seen one of those sodding great Uvem HTPC's going into a Sim2 DLPRP and that was the best picture I've ever seen. The demonstrators were clearly confident as well as there was a good selection of films on the Uvem not just the usual Pixar eye candy.

Greggles said:
Can you really appreciate the fantastic PQ through a 32" CRT though?

I'm sure cham32 will not be useing that for long as yes the best way to appreciate it would obviously be atleast a plasma or better still a nice big projector.. :)

One of the best pictures I,ve seen was D Theatre being fed into a crystalio and a Marquee 9500LC Ultra CRT PJ. Still can't beat a 9" CRT in my opinion :) The digital audio feed from my Tag is hard to beat when sync linked if CD sound is your main concern.

the top of the range denon, thx certified!

depends how you read the thread,

Ultimate as insane cost or ultimate as in the best picture. If best picture no need to spend anything over £2500 unless you want an excellent music setup that can also spin a film to the standards of a £800-£2500 dvd player, much like the meridian and teac efforts

I also think that when buying a High End player such as Meridian the real benefits in say Audio are when they are paired with there matching processors as the MHR link is superb and creates a perfect digital link for Audio and the results are simply stunning my G91 & G68 offers superb clarity for both DVD's & CD's and the 800 series goes yet again beyond mine and even better audio, it's just a real bonus that the Video is 1st class too... :thumbsup:

don't forget some other high end players allow a simple digital output (480i / 576i) to other devices which allow SOTA external video processing, this combined with top audio leads to the best of the best in my book.

Nic - do you think i would get any benefit running an interlaced signal out of my G91 into a scaler as my existing plasma only has component in at present and i want to keep it for atleast another year but it does accept 480i/576i/720p/1080i thru component.

Thanks
John

recruit said:
Nic - do you think i would get any benefit running an interlaced signal out of my G91 into a scaler as my existing plasma only has component in at present and i want to keep it for atleast another year but it does accept 480i/576i/720p/1080i thru component.

Thanks
John

Yes I think there is a benefit here, modern devices like Lumagens do FAR more than just deinerlacing now and really can get the best out of display devices.

I always thought Tandy's Realistic brand were difficult to beat. Did they ever make any DVD players? If they did, they would be the best :rolleyes:

top of the range Bang and Olferson, about £40,000!

OK then, whats the best DVD player for picture quality regardless of price...?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom