The ultimate doubter needs help

Naafets88

Hi Guys,

I owned an Samsung QE55JS8500 TV for around 5 years from which I was really happy, but it started to gain the grey screen issues for which it's well known.
So it was time to upgrade my TV to a newer version.

We're hardcore TV users at home, while being at home, the TV is always on playing music.

I recently purchased the Samsung QE65Q95T which seemed to be a logical choice due to we have a bright living room (Windows on both sides of the TV), the One-Connect box and always being happy about the former Samsung TV, but unfortunately the first one had issues with DSE and now the replacement has less DSE, but also some damaged pixels (I think).

The TV will be replaced, but now I'm honestly doubting to go back to the Samsung TV, so here's my question with ignoring the information above.
If I would want to buy a new TV, what would be the logical choice?

Here some more information:

Room info:
  • 4 meters away from the TV
  • Windows on both sides of the TV (Left window around 3 meters, right window around 4 meters)
  • TV hangs on the wall, but no integrated cable housing, 1 small housing on the wall itself that can hold 2-3 cables)

Current Usage:
  • 70% Netflix, Disney and Youtube
  • 15% standard programs
  • 15% Sports (Football/soccer mainly)
  • Nintendo switch for my son

Future Usage:
PS5 once they bring out the slim version, don't like the bulky they launched now

Playing hours:
Weekdays: 3-4 hours average
Weekend: 12-13 hours average

Soundsystem:
Samsung HW-Q80R soundbar with Dolby Atmos

Budget: €2000

Needs:
Smooth transitions (Like you would watch a movie/sports on high grade mobile phone
Good image quality
Future proof (At least 5 years)
E-ARC

I'm really a picky guy and the ultimate doubter for these things, so what would you pick knowing the information above? (PS, I'm from Belgium).
I'm also scared of burn-in to be honest, my former phone was traded in for this (Oneplus 8 Pro).

Thanks for the help!

Dodgexander

Sony XH9505 its the only real alternative to the Samsung, and is usually priced better too.

Its downside is future proofing in the sense it doesn't have any HDMI 2.1 ports, but it does have eARC compatibility. HDMI 2.1 is really only a factor if you plan to use a next generation console, and even then there are doubts about its worth compared to normal 60hz gaming.

If you can wait for 2021 models to be released and come down in price, there may be better options then. OLED TVs are becoming more durable and Samsung's lineup should be a lot better. Perhaps if you wanted more future proofing you could buy a stop gap in the mean time until those are released and come down in price.

Unfortunately prices on newly released TVs are heightened, so you can expect to wait at least until Black Friday 2021 until the prices become more reasonable.

Naafets88

Sony XH9505 its the only real alternative to the Samsung, and is usually priced better too.

Its downside is future proofing in the sense it doesn't have any HDMI 2.1 ports, but it does have eARC compatibility. HDMI 2.1 is really only a factor if you plan to use a next generation console, and even then there are doubts about its worth compared to normal 60hz gaming.

If you can wait for 2021 models to be released and come down in price, there may be better options then. OLED TVs are becoming more durable and Samsung's lineup should be a lot better. Perhaps if you wanted more future proofing you could buy a stop gap in the mean time until those are released and come down in price.
thx for the feedback.

so you wouldn’t recommend an Oled?

Dodgexander

I recommend OLEDs often, but it depends on your usage. If you use the TV a lot with static elements you are at risk of burn in. If you have unvaried usage, you are not. Only reason I didn't mention an OLED is because you said you were scared of burn in.

But nothing you mention about your usage makes with think you'd be susceptible to burn in, you should take the time to understand its risky to use repeated static elements/tickers on the TVs and to judge yourself whether your own usage will put you at risk. Depending on which games you play, that may be a problem in the long term.

More on burn in here:

I've also edited my last post quite a bit with some extra info.

Naafets88

I recommend OLEDs often, but it depends on your usage. If you use the TV a lot with static elements you are at risk of burn in. If you have unvaried usage, you are not. Only reason I didn't mention an OLED is because you said you were scared of burn in.

But nothing you mention about your usage makes with think you'd be susceptible to burn in, you should take the time to understand its risky to use repeated static elements/tickers on the TVs and to judge yourself whether your own usage will put you at risk. Depending on which games you play, that may be a problem in the long term.

More on burn in here:

I've also edited my last post quite a bit with some extra info.
Thx for the updates.

so with the usage mentioned above (also the long hours) you think an Oled would survive?

i already got rid of the old TV unfortunately, so I need a replacement.

Also just noticed that the back panel of the Q95T is lose, so it needs to be return

I really prefer a high quality image that can live up to my demands and normally a budget of €2000 should do that trick?

if you or anyone else can help me, please make some suggestions

Dodgexander

Raising the budget doesn't really help. Your budget is already more than enough to get a capable TV.

There's no reason to think an OLED wouldn't survive with your usage provided you don't leave the TV with static elements on for a long time. You should also practice not using the TV for more than 4 hours at a time without letting it go into standby to perform a refresh cycle.

If you bought a cheap stop gap TV now, you could perhaps instead go for a 2021 OLED with the new adjustments to make them even more durable. Do you have anywhere local you can rent a TV in the mean time?

Naafets88

And what would happen if I skip the refresh cycle once or twice a week?

I’ve never heard of renting a tv actually.
Also the new models will be quite expensive in the beginning.

i’ll discuss it at home

Dodgexander

The TVs perform a refresh cycle each 4 hours to reduce the risk of burn in, so any you skip can decrease the life of the TV. Missing some here and there probably isn't a big deal though. Most people who own the TV don't even think about it, but its important to know if you have a habbit to use the TV a lot in long sessions.

There are also people who cut the power at the wall when they don't use the TV which prevents them from running the cycle completely. In these cases it can be pretty detrimental since they can't perform a refresh cycle at all.

Depending on the TV you may even get a notification after using it to enter standby so it can perform its cycle.

Worth noting the cycle can take up to an hour. So if you don't want to have to be without the TV for an hour every 4h or so, perhaps OLED isn't for you.

Naafets88

The TVs perform a refresh cycle each 4 hours to reduce the risk of burn in, so any you skip can decrease the life of the TV. Missing some here and there probably isn't a big deal though. Most people who own the TV don't even think about it, but its important to know if you have a habbit to use the TV a lot in long sessions.

There are also people who cut the power at the wall when they don't use the TV which prevents them from running the cycle completely. In these cases it can be pretty detrimental since they can't perform a refresh cycle at all.

Depending on the TV you may even get a notification after using it to enter standby so it can perform its cycle.

Worth noting the cycle can take up to an hour. So if you don't want to have to be without the TV for an hour every 4h or so, perhaps OLED isn't for you.
I think this is quite clear then actually that Oled isn't for me unfortunately.
I'll check with the store where I bought the Samsungs of it if's a known issue.

Also noticed the backpanel isn't fixed well to the TV.
I think I just have back luck with them

Dodgexander

Build quality on modern TVs in general is pretty poor. Loose back panels, front bezels etc are not uncommon.

With screen uniformity Samsung models tend to score worse with grey uniformity whilst they do better with black. Sony are the opposite with better gray, but worse black.

Grey is usually where you notice DSE where there is a uniform, but not dark background - for instance green grass in grass sports.

Black is where you notice problems in darker conditions, with some areas of the image lighting up greater than others.

Lighting conditions in the room have a big part to play, watch in darker conditions and without any lighting you'll screen uniformity problems more, particularly poor black uniformity. Bias lighting can help a lot.

Another thing to think about is each year TVs are released (or refreshed) is not neccesarily an increase in quality accross board. Sometimes a regression is made. This happened in 2020 with Samsung models. The 2019 Q90R has more dimming zones than the 2020 Q90T and was considered the better TV. In 2021 Samsung's replacement is the QN90A which is promised to have even more dimming zones than the Q90R. So if you are talking strictly how a FALD TV performs, 2020 was not a good year to buy a Samsung.

JustTheFacts

I'm also scared of burn-in to be honest, my former phone was traded in for this (Oneplus 8 Pro).

Thanks for the help!

Naafets88

Build quality on modern TVs in general is pretty poor. Loose back panels, front bezels etc are not uncommon.

With screen uniformity Samsung models tend to score worse with grey uniformity whilst they do better with black. Sony are the opposite with better gray, but worse black.

Grey is usually where you notice DSE where there is a uniform, but not dark background - for instance green grass in grass sports.

Black is where you notice problems in darker conditions, with some areas of the image lighting up greater than others.

Lighting conditions in the room have a big part to play, watch in darker conditions and without any lighting you'll screen uniformity problems more, particularly poor black uniformity. Bias lighting can help a lot.

Another thing to think about is each year TVs are released (or refreshed) is not neccesarily an increase in quality accross board. Sometimes a regression is made. This happened in 2020 with Samsung models. The 2019 Q90R has more dimming zones than the 2020 Q90T and was considered the better TV. In 2021 Samsung's replacement is the QN90A which is promised to have even more dimming zones than the Q90R. So if you are talking strictly how a FALD TV performs, 2020 was not a good year to buy a Samsung.
In the meanwhile I got the tv replaced for the second time.
DSE on the Samsung is actually really low and almost not noticable.

But now I have issues with Judder. Resetted the TV 3 times and got now better response, but still doubting to go the the CX line of LG.

It's strange you don't read a lot online about the refresh cycles of the TV for the burn-in, I assume it's a way of living with it?

It's sure it's every 4 hours it refreshes?

Dodgexander

It's strange you don't read a lot online about the refresh cycles of the TV for the burn-in, I assume it's a way of living with it?
It reduces temporary image retention, which can reduce burn in.
It's sure it's every 4 hours it refreshes?
Yep, it will try to every 4 hours. If you use the TV during, it will warn you on the screen to perform a cycle. Its not mandatory, but recommended. If you continuously avoid it, then it may be detrimental, but if you do it occasionally it won't matter so much.

Naafets88

It reduces temporary image retention, which can reduce burn in.

Yep, it will try to every 4 hours. If you use the TV during, it will warn you on the screen to perform a cycle. Its not mandatory, but recommended. If you continuously avoid it, then it may be detrimental, but if you do it occasionally it won't matter so much.
Thanks.

went to different stores to watch compare the Q90T and LG CX.

on first look it looked ok, but on demo mode.
We’re quite convinced we should give it a go after some reviews, just scared of the brightness at this point.

any idea how I can check this, tweak down the settings of the Q95T to the max nits from the CX?

Dodgexander

Thanks.

went to different stores to watch compare the Q90T and LG CX.

on first look it looked ok, but on demo mode.
We’re quite convinced we should give it a go after some reviews, just scared of the brightness at this point.

any idea how I can check this, tweak down the settings of the Q95T to the max nits from the CX?
You can just reduce the backlight setting. HDR is designed to occupy the peak brightness of the TV though, so by doing so you may see some picture quality problems with HDR.

Naafets88

You can just reduce the backlight setting. HDR is designed to occupy the peak brightness of the TV though, so by doing so you may see some picture quality problems with HDR.
ok thanks!
Almost convinced to trade in the Q95T for a CX.
Just need some confirmation that the Jutter will be lower and it's a goo

Dodgexander

ok thanks!
Almost convinced to trade in the Q95T for a CX.
Just need some confirmation that the Jutter will be lower and it's a goo
I'm not sure which TV you currently have. The Samsung has reported issues with stutter, the LG is not perfect with motion either. If motion is a priority for you go for a Sony or Philips OLED or the Sony XH9505 LCD TV.

Naafets88

I'm not sure which TV you currently have. The Samsung has reported issues with stutter, the LG is not perfect with motion either. If motion is a priority for you go for a Sony or Philips OLED or the Sony XH9505 LCD TV.
Current is the Samsung QE65Q95T.

Sony looked good (oled) but is lacking the 2.1 port for the Ps5

Naafets88

Slept over your message and the Sony could be a good thing to check also.
This eve I'll check some comparison videos of both.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom