The ultimate center speaker thread

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sea surfer, Feb 23, 2014.

1. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    I thought I might as well get the ball rolling, I seen this asked a few weeks back on the forums here somewhere, as to why there was not a thread just for center speakers!

The importance of the center speaker: The center speaker delivers virtually all the dialogue and it can, depending on the mix, convey upward of 80 percent of a movie's soundtrack, so why don't we read so much about the importance of this channel on the forums? all the focus seems to go to the front L&R and the Sub with the center speaker and rears probably last!

Anyway here we go :beer: :

Past and present center speakers I've had, they mostly where all where used with the same speakers brand all round:

KEF TDM 23C:

Performance : if I can remember right it needs good amplification to get the best out of it , it's THX certified, sounds great partnered with the right amplification 4 OHM load, I used to run it from an old Yamaha DSPA1 at the time, it used to clip the amp most of the time, I never really got the best out of it at the time TBO, still a good performer though.

Build Quality: Good.
    Finish: Mostly cloth with gloss painted MDF sides, the speaker cloth can be had in Black or White.
    Looks: 6/10 real ugly to look at IMO. its more suited to a dedicated room.
    Sound: 6/10

Monitor Audio Gold GSCLR:

Performance: good sound, maybe a little bit boxy, the voices actually feel as if they are contained in the cabinet, over all a nice speaker, after you experience the PL though theres no going back, it then sounds muffled in comparison!

Build Quality: 8/10 Very good.
    Finish: I had the real wood finish, very nice, there is a cheaper finish which is not nice at all, same speaker made in China, maybe a different letter in there somewhere, can't quite remember.
    Looks: 7/10
    Sound: 6/10

Monitor Audio PL300:

Performance: this speaker weighs an absolute ton, the finish is second to none, great imaging brings voices right into your room, it can sound a little bright, maybe a touch harsh if not partnered with the right kit IMO, I tried the MA PL200 against it, there was no competition, the 300 destroyed it. The ribbon tweeter is sweet, it throws out a wide dispersion of sound if I can remember right I read somewhere that MA manufacture their own ribbon tweeters. I was sorry to let it go.

Build Quality: 10/10 Phenomenal.
    Finish: It doesn't get much better, beautiful,1 high gloss, 10 coats I think, I had the Ebony stunning
    Looks: 10/10, maybe it can look a bit intrusive in a smaller room.
    Sound: 9/10

Dali Helicon C200MK2:

Performance: but still a great performer, great clarity, once again the voices come into your room, so you don't focus on the speaker as much, great imaging, really solid bass from the drivers, really clear, excellent center speaker.

Build Quality: 10/10 Excellent, no where near the weight of the MA PL300, still a slolid speaker though.
    Finish: 10/10 Excellent, high gloss.
    Looks: 10/10
    Sound: 8.5 /10

On trial at the moment: Dali Epicon Vokal:

Performance: not as heavy as the MA PL 300, what can I say with the performance, its a revelation IMO its like lifting a veil of the Helicon sound, which is no mean feat, its clarity is phenomenal, it brings everything to life, the mid bass from the drivers is wonderful, really punchy and tight with great weight behind voices etc. Tested this with the speaker on full range "no sub" still early days testing it out, so far it has me drooling, Dali say it needs at least 100 hours to break it in! so it can only get better :eek: it has a pretty expensive price tag though, so it should be special! all in all a 10/10.

Build Quality: Excellent.
    Finish: 10/10 Excellent, high gloss on par with the MA PL200 / 300 finish.
    Looks: 10/10
    Sound: 10/10

Another speaker that blew me away was the Vivid Audio C1: On par with the Epicon, never tried it at home only demoed in the showroom, its special and so is the price! you would need a lottery win to buy one! I would love to hear KEF Reference 204c that looks a beast and the new M&K in the future

As with any speaker as we all know, to get the best out of your speakers you need the right amplification and processing, so opinions will vary no doubt, these are just my opinions :suicide:

what is the best center channel speaker you've guys have heard and what have you compared it to?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    It would be useful to know what the rest of your front line-up was.

3. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946

Its in my signature.

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    Whatever centre speaker you get it should be the same as your left & right speakers IMV as if it is not exactly the same it will detract from the sound signature you get from the front soundstage as you will hear when the sound pans across the screen.

That's probably why there is not much said about centre speakers on there own as any serious system would have a matching front soundstage. Therefore you would be buying as a package rather than just slotting in a mismatched centre.

5. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946

Your right, I have tried to match different center's to different speakers and it never sounds the same, even now running with an Epicon center and Helicon's there is a big difference when panning.

Maybe as you said that's why there's not been a thread before, saying that I have seen lots of members using different rears, including my self and my mates and getting good results when staying with the same brand.

I was actually recommended to go with Dali Phantom speakers as rears.

6. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    That's what confused me: so you tried each of these speakers with the same L/R speakers?

7. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946

Ye, I should have said, when I had the KEF's I had the full package, same with the MA Gold, I was using the GL60's with GSFX rears. The same also with the Dali C200, I'm using Helicon 400's at the front with Dali Phantom's at the rears with Ribbon tweeters, now trying the Vocal with the Epicon's with a view to maybe further upgrade to the Epicons front and rears in the near future. As Kbfern has said the panning smoothly is everything, especially more with the front 3 speakers.

8. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    You can certainly get away with different surrounds rears heights and wides as these tend to carry effects only so are not as critical. Even then though if finance allows the matching effect speakers should be used if at all possible for a seamless 360 degree soundstage.

9. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Although a lot of people have mismatched rears I would always look to get a full matching set to ensure the best overall effect. There is also at least one member on here that has some good quality speakers (had PMC I think and now has MK) and each change they made they had mismatched rears (albeit it good quality ones). They reported a reasonable gain in surround sound effect by getting the matching rears each time.
    Hence I would always look to get matching speakers all around since your system is only going to be as good as the weakest part.

10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    Kelvin1965 I think you mean, he had pmc fronts with pmc wafers as surrounds and has now changed to MK MP150's for the front soundstage and SS150's for surrounds.

He was running a phantom centre with the MP150's for a couple of months while he saved up for the matching centre as he was also building a pair of USC15 clone subs at the time.

In the last few weeks he has purchased a single MP150 matching centre and is very pleased with it's addition as the soundstage has improved considerably.

11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    That would be me:

Last January I found a pair of PMC Wafer 1 for sale in the classifieds, which finished off my PMC set up at the time (with matching TB2+ across the front). I'd been through various upgrade steps using different PMCs across the front as I bought and sold from my initiall all DB1+ fronts.

To me it only ever sounded right when they all matched, so the interim step of TB2+ centre and DB1+ fronts lost balance until I got the pair of TB2+ fronts as well. Adding the Wafer 1 surrounds also put paid to the idea that I could get away with non matching surrounds (little M&K K4 at the time).

Since then I've changed to an all MK SOUND set up using MP150 on walls at the front and S150T side surrounds (and for now the same M&K K4 as surround back). I only got the final matching MP150 centre last week which involved some major DIY to make space for the centre behind my TV, which is now mounted on an electric lift: A lot of work and cost (I had to buy a thinner TV to fit behind my projector screen) but having watched a few films and concert discs since I installed the centre I feel it was worth the extra expense above the cost of the centre itself.

A full set of MK MP150 across the front under pinned with a pair of 15" sealed subs is giving me a lovely rich tone to speech, music, etc that I was lacking with my previous PMC set up (partly due to not being ideally located for rear ported speakers).

I did hear a PMC CB6i centre at the Hifi Lounge last year (can't remember what the main speakers were, but definitely PMC; larger floorstanding models). It also had that lovely rich tone especially noticeable on male voices that I immediately picked up on,though it wasn't boomy as my TB2+ set up tended to be due to the centre being too close to the floor.

Had I been able to accommodate a full PMC LCR using a CB6i I think that would have been a great set up to have at home, though I do feel that I've ended up with a result that gives the same pleasure (a year on it's hard to do a direct comparison of course), but in a very discrete package.

Having tried various centres and surrounds over the years, I'm now very much in the 'no centre unless it fully matches' camp (hence the last 3-4 months with a phantom centre until I got the MP150). I also never suffer from the effect where voices are hard to hear, then special effects are too loud, at high or low listening levels.

12. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,282
    I've always tried to have identical LCR's or at least the same brand of speaker for fronts and surrounds.

The last non-matching centre I had was an Infinity CC-3 that was paired with some Yamaha NS100's and Infinity Quadrapoles about 13/14 years ago. The CC-3 did have voice matching/tone controls on it though, so it ended up matching quite well.

Next centre I had was a Kef Model 100 with RDM Ones as fronts & surrounds. Was good, but to this day it's the only centre speaker I've owned that I needed to increase the channel level to hear dialogue properly. The Kef Reference 200 was a far better match and is currently in the lounge with the RDM's.

After that, all my setups since have had identical LCR's with matched Surrounds. Kef THX LCR & Dipoles, M&K S150THX & S85's, Genelec 8040's & 8020's, M&K LCR-851's & LCR-651's and my current M&K S150THX & S125's.

13. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Having matching Front and Center is about ...well... ...you know... having matching Front and Center. But what is important is not that they are brand and series matched, but rather that they are Tonally matched. That is, the speakers have the same tonal characteristics so when sound pans from Left to Center to Right, the quality, clarity, presence, and general Tone of what you hear is consistent.

The simplest way of doing that is to get Front and Center from the same brand and series. They are generally made from the same drivers and will, on the broad scale, sound the same.

However, they are probably many Center speakers that will match the sound characteristics of your Front speakers. The problem is, how do you know in advance? Answer: you don't. It is trial and error until you find the right match.

Now, if you are not going brand and series matched, then the second most likely is brand matched. For example, you could potentially use a B&W CM Center with B&W 600 series Front speakers.

Next, the standard horizontal Center speaker (MTM) design is itself inherently flawed. There will be adverse characteristics like Lobing in the horizontal plane, which is based on the distance between the mid-bass drivers. This is most often a problem in 2-way Centers.

But, there are ways to overcome this. Rather than a 2-way, make the Center a 2.5-way. In this case the two mid-bass drivers are only running in parallel below the frequency related to the driver spacing. Another alternative is to make the Center a 3-way. Again, this pushed the frequencies of the twin bass drivers down below the lobing frequency.

Lobing, in a sense is like standing waves. If you are straight on dead center on the Center speakers, then lobing doesn't matter because it occurs off the center line. Much like standing waves, with horizontal mid-bass drivers, you get areas of re-enforcement and areas of cancellation. One on each side of the Center line you will find an area where the sound drops out. If you are in that space, you will have a hard time hearing the center speaker.

This same lobing is also true in vertical MTM (mid-bass, tweeter, mid-bass) speakers, but the lobes are near the floor and ceiling, so they don't really effect the listening position. In a horizontal MTM, the null lobes are to the right and left of the center line and if you happen to be sitting in the null lobe, then the Center sound is recessed.

Think of the Lobes as petals on a Daisy. The petals are the areas where you can hear, and the space between petals is where the sound is recessed.

The red line on the top graph on this page best illustrated this type of lobing.

[​IMG]

Linkwitz-Riley Crossovers: A Primer

Or scroll down to post #10 in this forum for another graph illustrating this characteristic -

Tweeter Placement

Again if you are typically on the center line of the speaker, this characteristic really doesn't matter.

Of course, though completely impractical, the ideal Center speaker is precisely the speaker you are using for you Front speakers, in the same orientation and on the same plane. Unfortunately that place the Center speaker in the Center of the TV screen. So, we make sacrifices for practical reasons.

Then there are the quality of the speakers themselves. We would not expect the Monitor Audio Platinum, the Dali Helicon, and the Dali Epicon to sound any less than absolutely stellar. We are evaluating a pretty high standard of speaker here.

The Dali Epicon Vokal is £3500.

The Dali Helicon C200 is £1600.

The Monitor Audio Platinum PLC150 is £1900 and the PLC350 is £2800.

For that price, they damn well better sound good.

It seems clear, you get what you pay for.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. twoeyedbob

twoeyedbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Would be really nice if the first poster on these threads had a
    Panasonic htib...then i could have a go at some
    one-upmanship..
    Oh well..i'll just have to keep drooling:p

15. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    Sorry, but I've cut the long post down to comment on the bit that I'm in disagreement with: IMHO and in my experience of the models/makes I've tried over the years there is only one centre that will properly match the left/rights and that's the same model. I don't see the point in trying lots of different centres in the hope that one will be a match, though if you aren't as picky as some of us, then perhaps it isn't so critical. I know you are a fan of floorstanders, but IMHO for a cinema based set up then you will get much better matching and therefore a more cohesive front soundstage using identical speakers such as MK, PMC or KK and others offer.

It's not completely impractical if you were discussing a 'proper' home cinema with an acoustically transparent screen though. In fact it's the best I've heard cinema sound when I've heard such set ups (which coincidently used fully matching LCR speakers). I would dearly love to have such a set up myself, but I have a window behind my projector screen, so the next best thing I could do was put the row of MP150 speakers directly below my projector screen so they are all the same height. The MP150 have an angled front baffle, so when sat back 3.5 metres away they do a surprisingly good job of giving the illusion that the sound is coming from the screen above. I think this illusion is helped because, being black they are invisible in the dark when using my projector.

Clear as mud from where I'm sitting: Just because something is expensive doesn't make it good.

16. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I have 3 MA Gold LCR's across the front. I've often wondered how good the Platinum range would sound but I can't afford/justify the cost of 3 of them and I can't see that the improvement in just a centre would make up for the overall mismatch in speakers. With that in mind I've come to the conclusion I've hit my limit when it comes to speaker upgrade options.

I take it I'm right in thinking there would be little benefit to having a second matching centre speaker?

17. twoeyedbob

twoeyedbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Like this you mean ?
    1393189005051.jpg

18. Mumu

Mumu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    By ultimate, do you mean biggest? In which case I make a claim for that prize :rotfl::
    [​IMG]

Does sound rather nice too (fortunately)

19. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,563
    Matched MK150's all round. Simply a stunning cohesive soundstage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it doesn't sound good.

Yes, there is a rare speaker at a high price that is not up to scratch, but in general, up to a point, I find that most moderately expensive speakers are well worth the money. You gain clarity, coherence, and life-like detail.

Also keep in mind just because something is good doesn't mean you will like it. Some people actually prefer bad speakers. And, more power to them; who am I to judge.

Steve/bluewizard

21. Normal Bias

Normal Bias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I'm gonna be different and say that for me, the best centre is no centre :). I'm running a phantom centre with a pair of Genelec monitors and dialogue has never been clearer or more...centred. I'm a stickler for getting things right and being uncompromising but was delighted when I experimented with it and found I preferred it. I understand what comb filtering is and the potential problems of interference, superposition and cancellation fwiw.

There are a few caveats, though. If you have a A/T screen and the same high quality speakers across LCR then this is probably the ideal. Also if some of your audience sit to one side it may not work as well. But it works for me so I'm happy. Locating a centre speaker is also a challenge.

Worth a try for anyone stuck trying to position their centre speaker (you could reuse it as a surround rear ;)

Also it may not suit all LR speakers.

Who said nothing in life was free, lol.

22. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    I ran for 3-4 months with a phantom centre and due to all the hassles involved in actually being able to accommodate the last matching centre I nearly gave up and left it like that. As you say, unless you sit off to one side then the results can be really effective (not to mention 1/3 cheaper if you're buying identical LCRs as I did).

The plus point is that it gives you more money to fuel that Cerbera if your avatar is what you drive. :cool: (I fancy a Chimaera myself if I ever get the RS2000 finished and sold).

23. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,563
    I tried running a phantom centre with a pair of MKS150's. It was ok if sat dead opposite but moving just an inch and it didn't work for me.

24. Normal Bias

Normal Bias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Thanks Kelvin, I was expecting to be shot down in flames by the AV community for suggesting doing without a centre but I was genuinely surprised that it sounded clearer without one. I used to use a Genelec 1030A which is no slouch in the clarity department but nevertheless, like a lot of people judging from the threads on here, I was forever turning up the centre gain or turning up the master volume and messing with the gain of the other speakers regardless of what my SPL meter was telling me and still struggled to hear the dialog in quieter passages.

Yes it leaves more cash for other things as you say (the cerb doesn't cost me much tbh, you tend to spend out getting it right and then it just ticks along - had it 8 years now. A chimp will cost you less in maintenance though). Not that a centre speaker would pay for much in the car stakes :)

I will stress (again) that it does depend on your LR and my monitors have very good "imaging" or whatever it's called, sat in the sweet spot and shut your eyes and you would never know there is no centre speaker. My particalur speakers have to be parallel with the listener though (no toe-in) and close-ish range but the point is you can get great results with the right setup which solves a lot of problems.

Looking forward to seeing your TV lift contraption btw :smashin:

25. Normal Bias

Normal Bias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Fair enough. I just realised another factor with my setup is that my LR are quite far apart (about 3.7m), in fact the distance between them is about the same as my distance from them. Also my centre speaker positioning was always somewhat suboptimal so no wonder I'm happy, lol :)

26. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    I'm the opposite; my left and right are quite close together relative to my listening distance. Probably just over 2 metres apart, but I sit 3.5 metres back, so not the 'perfect triangle' that would usually be recommended. The imaging is good with the MP150s and I get a rock solid 'centre' sound with speech and vocals which tend to be panned to the centre. Of course I'm glad to finally have the proper matching centre now though to spread the load if nothing else.

I can't put the left/rights any wider at the moment due to a sofa on the left, though the bookcase to the right will be going eventually when we fit French doors. If we replace the sofas at some point I hope to get a smaller second sofa rather than 2 x 3 seaters as now, so then I'll be able to move the left rights further apart as it won't be in the way as much as now.

Slight delay on the TV lift as I swapped the TV I bought last week for a different model and guess what? The fixings are a different spacing. :facepalm: I've got the new TV sat on the floor on it's stand tonight, just to check it out for any issues (non obvious like the last one thankfully) so I'll try to get it on the lift over the weekend.

Neighbour a few doors down has a Chimaera which I've been out in quite a few times (even had a little drive): I've been known to open a window if I saw him driving off just to listen to that V8 sound. :cool: I have a video of one drive we had with a bunch of fast cars which I'll play back to him on my set up to see whether he thinks it sounds as good. :D

27. TomScrut

TomScrut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I currently use a phantom centre but have had centres and heard them in other systems. My opinion on the matter is that two really good fronts might be better than two lesser fronts and a centre. I will use B&W as my examples as that is what I have most experience with. Normally the price of a centre will buy you the next range or model up which could make a bigger difference. For example a pair of 802 Diamonds vs a pair of 803 Diamonds and a HTM2 Diamond.

I would think the same can be said of a pair of CM9s vs a pair of 683s and a HTM61.

But I have my fronts quite close together as I have a small room so that might be why I feel this way

28. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    I think the added complication with using a B&W centre is that they don't really seem to match properly to the floorstanders anyway: After all if the relatively small centre really did sound exactly the same as those floorstanders why would you need to pay as much for the floorstanders as you could just buy three of the centres?

In your 683 and HTM61 example only the tweeter looks the same between the two models, let alone that the centre is much smaller. I don't blame you for just having a very nice pair of floorstanders and phantom centre.

29. TomScrut

TomScrut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    The mid is also the same, and in the example if the HTM2 the drivers are almost the same as the 803 Diamond. I would have a HTM3S if I could find a cherry one and afford it. But then again the price of one and the value if my speakers would put me up to almost second and 803 Diamonds

30. Zardoz

Zardoz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a followup question.
    Currently my home theater system uses my STEREO speaker system only. A pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's.
    I have been unable to get the "center sound" to sound right on most DVD movies's so I am giving up and now desire to add a center channel speaker and amplifier.

Do you have any recommendations? Or a recommended fix to the system to properly get the center channel sound to both speakers properly so that it sounds right with software. (I don't have much home on the latter.)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014