1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The ultimate 36" round-up

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sonyhunter, Mar 14, 2004.

1. sonyhunter

sonyhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Among other things, I'm considering buying a 36" TV to replace my current 28". So far, I have identified 5 models which may be suitable, along with my opinions/questions. Could anyone tell me if my overall view is correct, or offer their views on which is the best. At the mo, the Philips looks the best. P.S. Please ignore the cost of the set as a factor.

PHILIPS 36PW9618
    PixelPlus = best image quality of the five? (heard P.Plus intensifies grain)
    Can this accept Pal Prog?

TOSHIBA 36ZP38B
    Picture quality perhaps second to the Philips?
    Seems like a nice robust all-rounder with few/no probs
    I know this can do Prog, but does this include Pal Prog?

TOSHIBA 36ZT29B
    Is this actually any different to the above Tosh (bar the look)? It it the same set/technology but in a different casing?

PANASONIC TX-36PD30
    I know this is Prog, but Pal Prog too?
    Have read the sticky thread on this.. sounds like problems galore

SONY KD-36NX200TNS.U
    From what I gather, the img quality isn't better than the others.

BTW - using components and almost all viewing is DVD. Have HDMI on DVD player, but obviously can't use it without plasma! :mad:

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I don't own any of the sets you mention, but based on my limited knowledge :smoke: I'll do my best.

I wouldn't buy a Pixel Plus set unless I'd had the chance to really have a good play around with it (with an RGB connected dvd player), and had the chance to decide if it was really for me or not. Many people hate it, complaining that it adds too many artifacts to the picture, but there are those that like it. It seems to be a bit of a "you either love it or hate it" type of technology.
    Current Philips sets have no component inputs, and can't display PAL (or NTSC) progressive signals.

Displaying a progressive signal, this tv is capable of very good performance, preferable in the eyes of many to the Philips. Unfortunately the set is prone to green trails on moving objects in dark scenes, but this seems to be something that some people are more sensitive to than others. Other complaints involve bad impurity and "dirty screen " problems, but this varies from set to set. Whether you get a "good one" or not is down to luck. This tv can do PAL progressive.

There are differences between this set and the ZP38. It also has it's share of problems, again the severity varying from sample to sample, but the ZT29 suffered from the famous "light bars at the sides of the picture" syndrome (which seems to have been corrected on the ZP38). Capable of lovely pictures if you get a "good one", and find that your not too sensative to the "light sides". Capable of NTSC progressive, but not PAL progressive.

The Panasonic does have it's problems, but to be fair this is a trait of all CRT tv's of this size. As with all these tv's, you could get one and find you can easily live with it, but there is an element of luck involved. Capable of PAL and NTSC progressive.

The Sony's DRC 50 processing does produce very good pictures (at least I thought so :cool:) but it's price tends to put a lot of people off (which is why you read very little about on this forum). I had a chance to have a fiddle around with one of these, and it's certainly a very high quality tv, but it has no component inputs meaning that PAL and NTSC progressive are a non starter. A case of Sony shooting itself in the foot I think.

Another set you might want to consider is the new 36" JVC. It also has PAL and NTSC progressive capability, and is also 1080i high definition ready, but by time we see that in the UK, this tv will probably be an antique :mad:. This set has only recently been released, so there's no word yet about any inherent problems.

Cheers.

3. sonyhunter

sonyhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow fatbob,

A most comprehensive reply. Can't thank you enough. Philips and Sony are definitely out of the equation then, since want component inputs. Meanwhile, the older Tosh, the 36ZT29B, is also out of the question since I want Pal progressive.

Looks like the field has now been narrowed down to the other Tosh plus the Panasonic TX-36PD30. This new JVC also sounds interesting and I'll have to do some digging on this.

Thanks again, anyone else got any views on the three sets I've just mentioned.

4. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a quick note that the 36zt29 is an IDTV, and will get 30+ channels compared to the 4/5 on the others.

5. sonyhunter

sonyhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Supersonic87,

Thanks for the tip. Freeview would be quite nice, but I've already got Sky ready to hook into it. Plus it can't do Pal progressive, which is the real deal breaker.

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Sonyhunter,

Having similar requirements to your good self, I've done a thorough investigation and decided on the Panasonic (it comes Wednesday).

However, as you've seen from the sticky, it's vital to get a good one so I would recommend the John Lewis route to be on the safe side.

Good luck with your purchase Sonyhunter (or should that now be Panasonic/Tosh/JVChunter???).

7. sonyhunter

sonyhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tight Git,

You're right - maybe should get the UserName changed.

By the way - am thinking of NOT getting the Panasonic now. I'm not concerned about the problems, in fact I was looking forward to the Acuity res booster. However, at Panasonic.co.uk, it says Prog for NTSC only, which is not good for me (all R2). Therefore, it's either the JVC or the Tosh...

One more down, the hunt continues..

8. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sonyhunter,

The Panasonic website got it's facts a bit mixed up.

I've put a link here where the subject is discussed in a bit more detail.

The Panasonic will accept a PAL progressive signal, although according to the link 50hz flicker might be an issue for some.

Cheers.