The UK Housing Market, Post Corona March 2020

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Well this probably going to save me about 600 /800 quid ...

Better than nowt but I'm not rushing out the door to book the cruise

Obviously better for all those middle classes out there .....

They need all the help they can get ;)

essgee

So, no stamp duty on the first £500,000 of house purchases and the Chancellor has just announced this does apply to additional properties as well :thumbsup:

First thing the Government has got right since this pandemic started. Time to start browsing Rightmove for a pair of new rentals :)
You'll still pay the 3% though so you're only saving the normal stamp duty, not the additional property tax.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
You'll still pay the 3% though so you're only saving the normal stamp duty, not the additional property tax.
Its still a significant saving that moves us back to normality after the punitive, anti-landlord measures of recent years.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Well finally completed and moved out :clap:

Took about 13 months in all :eek:

Now I need to find somewhere else and start it all again :confused:

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Mrs TG and I have moved eight times and each move seems to be getting more fraught!

I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that it's the solicitors who cause the most problems.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Just seems that theres no sense of urgency with everyone involved with the housing market

I don't know what my estate did for their money....stuck it on right move...which someone told me costs them about £300 a month regardless of how many houses they put on.....and took a few phone calls

I did the viewings....and most of the chasing up of solicitors .

.....get what you pay for I suppose

iamsludge

Anecdotal: houses near me are selling quite fast. The house next door was bought for £130k a couple of years ago by a builder who lived in it while doing it up, it recently got listed for offers over £300k and is now sold.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Just seems that there's no sense of urgency with everyone involved with the housing market
I do have some sympathy for Estate Agents, as they usually don't get paid unless there's a sale.

Solicitors, on the other hand, are guaranteed payment even if it all falls through.

In fact, I'm convinced some of them go as slowly as possible, in the hope that they can charge extra to sort out the problems caused by their own tardiness!

But then I'm a cynical git as well as a tight one!

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
So, after all the dire predictions of a house price crash due to Co-Vid and/or Brexit, they're now at their highest level ever!

I've always maintained supply & demand over-rules all other factors. :lesson:

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Yep. A few houses on my road have gone up for sale and was surprised at the asking prices. Most being sold quite quickly as well

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom