The UE**F8000 Owners thread part 1

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by arenaman, Feb 20, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Wow! They have the Full array Backlit Sony HX950 for only $2,600 and Amazon has it for $3,100 I think..

Sale Price Through March 17th: $2,665.00

2. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,975
    The spec sheet from Value Electronics shows PB

http://un65f8000.com/uploads/Samsug_2013_LED_Product_Guide.pdf

3. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hmm! Yea your right., I just noticed that. We haven't seen Robert pop up since he got his set in the store. He must be really busy.. Hopefully he will pop up again for an update :)

4. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I couldn't remember where I saw this precision black, but its was at VEs website.. I can't find it anywhere else though

5. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    This is very interesting.. I've always heard that LGs panels are better then Samsung's as far as panels failing goes. Maybe this is why Sony has moved to using LGs now as well?? My 27" iMac from 2009 and all my iPads have never had any issues, but I've never owned a LG TV before. Its funny cause one of Samsung's EX employees once told me I should start buying LG's instead of Samsung's

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...5_March+13,+2013&utm_term=newsletter_sub1_jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    :hiya::hiya: Corey from Amazon's review of the UN55F8000 has just confirmed the panel # being used in his 55" its version: TS01 just as last years.. I can't remember if that's the good one though as my 60" has HS01 and my 65" I can't see cause its on the wall. Where's Cmay when you need him??? Lol! I wish he would join this forum. I love his strong voice and attitude when it comes to these manufactures :). Can someone please PM him with a link to this thread? He would be a great asset to this forum

7. alitech

alitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
  8. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  9. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Ok, now I'm really torn! This is 4 statements/reviews from people we can trust so far. Ugh, I was hoping Robert didn't say this though as now I'm very curious to buy one. I do love the stand and the pop up camera, so maybe if I get it and it does turn out that the Evo kit makes the ES look like the F, I can just tell myself that I have a better "looking" stand and a "Better" camera! :eek:

Here's what Robert from Value Electronics has said so far...

I've been watching our 55" F8000 for two days and have been working on our review. Here's a preview of our findings and more information can be found on our F8000 website with some screen shots.

Basically and very briefly here's what I can say now.

First, I'm viewing in the "Movie" mode with very high ambient light in the room. (not the recommend mode for bright rooms) Also I made a few adjustments, like lowering the backlight, contrast, and sharpness. I will say this display will definitely benefit by a professional calibration by a experienced calibrator. The more time I spend with testing all of the very numerous picture and motion settings the better I can tweak the image quality.

I examined the panel very carefully with solid panels of RGB and white and it has no stuck or dead pixels.

Overall picture quality is excellent with accurate flesh tones and color accuracy, good color saturation, but not as punchy as the ES8000. Motion resolution is better than expected even with fast camera panning. Of course this is a 55" panel, but no visible vertical banding and absolutely no flashlighting.

Seeing totally black cropping bars makes the CinemaScope content stunning.

Very precise local dimming and no visible haloing. This is a big improvement over all edge lit panels I've ever seen. Inky jet black images butt next to bright scenes that effortlessly move across the screen with good detail, the blackest blacks possible and brilliant bright areas that perfectly butt up to the darkest images. This is another great upgrade for Samsung's F8000 2013 LED edge lit locally dimmed technology.

Tomorrow we're doing a professional calibration and we'll take peak luminance and MLL reading as well as the rec 709 plots. We'll also publish the gamma across all luminance levels and take pictures of the screen with 0 to 100% signals generated to demonstrate the worst case screen uniformity.

The design is truly beautiful, very sleek and forward thinking. The ultra thin .20" flat black flat bezel frames the image and you can just see the slim edge of the brushed metal edge. The back is very very clean with a cover over the jack-pack area.

I know the pedestal stand has been criticized, but I like it. It flows with the sleek design and is far less conspicuous than any other table top stand. It's about 11.5" deep at the widest point, which is about the same as all other 55" TV stands. It's also well made, heavy all steel construction and the wide base and feet make the TV stable and secure. I can't imagine this clean and elegantly designed display with any other table top stand. As it stands it's truly gorgeous.

Off axes viewing is as expected and very similar to the ES8000 series and all other LCD based panels.

Check out some photos that were taken on my iPhone 4S with very high ambient room light at our dedicated F8000 website.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll have much more to report with lots of technical measurements we'll take during the calibration so check back again tomorrow.

In summary, considering it's no full array LED or PDP; for an edge lit display this is a big upgrade from what we have seen from any manufacturer to date.

10. Richard

Richard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,627
    If that's true I'd buy one right now.

Fingers crossed.

11. Agus2013

Agus2013
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The european models of the F8000 aparently missing the PB feature that have the F8000 american model.

12. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Me too! I just wish they would release the Evo kit while they still have the ES8000 for sale, just in case the Evo kit does improve the pic like the F :rolleyes: I just wrote a comment to that new owner on Amazon and asked if he can post some pics or videos :)

13. Richard

Richard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,627
    Sure they're just don't call it something else?

14. manuxs

manuxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Steve Withers doesn't mention it in his review.

15. Richard

Richard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,627
    So what is PB supposed to do?

For me, Cinema Black is the key improvement over the ES.

16. manuxs

manuxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    - Cinema Black enhances black on the cinemascope bars. This prevents
    bleeding.
    - Precision black allows to control the local dimming areas more precisely all across the panels. This helps with clouding and is much more important than Cinema Black.

17. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Richard, I've been going through this every year with Samsungs 8000 models since 2007. Doesn't anyone find it strange how they release Cinema black every other year? Its all a marketing tactic.. I'm trying to save you guys here. I've giving them thousands of my money from all these years, for nothing.. Just a better smart hub experience

18. sillycargt4cs

sillycargt4cs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    a choice of either would be nice for my uk es8000 :lease:

19. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Smart LED= Precision black. Same thing different name :)
    If you look back on the D8000 LED, they have both Smart LED and Cinema black. If you read what the Smart LED setting does, you will see the same description as the the precision black

20. manuxs

manuxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Yes, but there is not Smart LED on EU/UK ES8000 or F8000.

21. Agus2013

Agus2013
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As Samsung says in CES 2013 the F8000 is based over a ES9000, but with more features. Well, the european model mised ONE VERY IMPORTANT, the PBlack that have the ES9000. Samsung lie or not?

22. agustinforever

agustinforever
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Anthony, I forgot to tell you, yesterday, that I'm the one who asked rasmus larsen about the evolution kit ( through my facebook. Not whith this nick ) and, as you know, he told me It won't improve the picture quality :nono:. Maybe the EV ,we saw at ces ,was only a prototype and it could give us an unexpected surprise.

I thought the smart led feature was vital to make precision black works, so I'm really worried 'casue It has been excluded (taken out ) In the F8000 menu-presets or perhaps it's whith other name , but steve just told us the lack of that feature. I don't know wether or not the american version has removed that characteristic as the European one :rolleyes:..., thank u.:hiya:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  23. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'm going to say this once and once only, and I'm only, saying that I THINK, not know just to be clear cause I don't need to be sued for trying to keep repeating myself to help people who aren't understanding this :)

Smart LED is a setting that "I think" can be taken out through a FW update just like the black enhancer and edge enhancer and shadow detail can be taking out. Why would they take it out? Because they are still making the ES9000 and they need to market it as their "best" TV in order to charge $9K for it. If they don't take the Smart LED out of the ES8000 and F8000 then what makes the 75" ES9000 worth $9K??? Omg! I can't say anymore.. Just be smart and stop giving your money away so easily

24. Agus2013

Agus2013
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agree!!:smashin:

25. Richard

Richard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,627
    Not for me, I have really bad clouding on me ES8000 but it rarely bothers me.

It was the bleed that killed this set for me. Couldn't watch a blu ray on it it bothered me that much. The ES is now relegated to the bedroom where it's fine and got a GT50 for the lounge.

I don't particularly like the GT so if the F8000 fixes the bleed problems then I'm sold. Sounds like that's the case so far.

I saw a couple of pics on a link on AVS of the F8000 and I nearly ordered one there and then.

26. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Richard,
    i hear ya mate.. did you see the pics I posted? On one pic, you Can see now bad my light bleed and clouding was and on the other, you can see its all fixed now. This was done from the FW updates though, not from me spending even more money on the newer model :)

27. Richard

Richard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,627
    No, could you post them please?

All the firmware updates I have done on my ES8000 in the year I've had it haven't touched the bleed or clouding one little bit.

28. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,975
    Post #901 on the ES thread

29. Anthony5362

Anthony5362
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  30. manuxs

manuxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Ok so on avsforum, someone posted a picture that confirms there is a smart led option on the US F8000.
    Question is : is there such an option on the UK/EU F8000 ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.