1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Two Towers Good or Bad??

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Adrenochrome, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Having really enjoyed The Fellowship Of The Ring i waited patiently with baited breath for The Two Towers to be released on dvd. (i cannot imagine any film getting me to enter a cinema again).

Unbeleivably it has taken me three days to get to the end of this movie as i found it even more boring than Spectre finds some of our posts in general chat

:eek:

I Am aware that there will be a great number of fans of this movie but surely i am not alone in thinking it was boring:boring:

Or am I?

I would be interested to hear other peoples views on this.

Adrenochrome.

* Adrenochrome steps into triple skinned kevlar suit and crash helmet *

2. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    You enjoyed FOTR but found TTT boring?:confused:

Although the "middle" movie in any trilogy is perhaps the most difficult one (having no clear beginning or end)...I found TTT action packed and...well amazing really.

3. miniroll171

miniroll171

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The first film does have more action and more WOW! factor, but I wouldn't call TTT boring. I did notice that it had a bit more comedy in then Fellowship though, I hope this trend doesn't continue into ROTK!

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    maybe a touch too long..but still stunning.:), of course this is the beauty of DVD, pause, toilet breaks and coffee :D

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hardly "boring" but I didnt enjoy it at the cinema due to its length - the DVDS [especially the extended one] will get some serious workouts when they arrive [I saw MVC had the DVD in store yesterday btw £17.99]
    Paul

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Great film, good DVD but can't wait 'til the Extended edition comes out.

On sale everywhere now - saw in Tesco that if you spend £50 (excludes the value of the dvd) you can buy the DVD for £11.99 (£5 off) - almost tempted me to buy another copy!!

7. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't say nothing more than GREAT:smashin:

8. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Looks like the retail trade decided to break the embargo on it as they can sell tousands more over the bank holiday. The studios probably wanted to hold it back so that more people would go and watch their latest releases at the cinema. Serves them right imo.

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    The second book (film) has more to do with the peoples of middle earth and their relationship with each other! The special effects could have overwhelmed this series as Peter Jackson states in the "special features" part of the disc and I for one agree and applaud him for holding back on this film, though Helms Deep is pretty spectacular :clap:
    Can't wait for ROTK as I believe the special effects in this movie will restore peoples faith with not only Tolkien's vision but Jackson interpretation.
    Roll on Shelob and especially The Paths of the Dead which is probably my favorite part of the book(s) ;)

10. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Your entitled to your opinion, and no matter what I say, if you found it boring then there's not really a lot I can do to change your opinion.

All I can ask is how did you expect the plot to develop?

Have you read the book?

How you any suggestions as to how to improve the pacing?

I found the theatrical release of both movies very good. I felt that the extended version of TFOTR sublime. I expect that the extended version of TTT to be just as unique.

I am rather pleased that I have lived through the creation of what I consider to be one of the greatest cinematic contributions.

All the other movies that i love and respect usually tend to have been made before i was an adult, which has always made me feel that i have missed an "Golden Era".

In 30 years time I can watch the LOTR trilogy with my grandchildren with the same sense of nostalgia that my parents can with "The Adventures Of Robin Hood" & "The Third Man" & "Seven Samurai".

11. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Nope i haven't read the book so i have no idea what happens.

My wife and i both felt that we were still waiting on the film starting when in fact it was finishing.

Although to be fair we had just arrived back from a 6 hour drive so perhaps we weren't in the best of nick for watching an epic.

We shall watch it again this week as my projector screen shall be fitted on tuesday :clap:

I really hope it was just a case of being too tired as this is the first movie in a long long time i have been desperate to drop through my letterbox.

Adrenochrome.

12. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I think that FOTR was a better film overall, but TTT will be a better demo disc (gotta love that fighting!)

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    TTT is definitely a film that should be seen at the cinema. The scene where (spoiler, highlight to read) Gandalf leads the charge of the Rohirrim army down the hill to relieve the beleaguered garrison at Helm's Deep is simply breathtaking on the big screen.

There are good aspects and bad aspects. Most of the bad ones (as in the first film) come from diverging too much from the original book; the worst are a) silly attempts to introduce comic relief which snap you completely out of the mood (usually at either Gimli or Treebeard's expense), b) the omission of everything in between (spoiler) Theoden's curse being lifted and the evacuation to Helm's Deep, c) (spoiler) Faramir dragging Sam and Frodo all the way back to Osgiliath, and d) the messing up of the relationship between Elrond and Arwen. In particular the section where (spoiler) Elrond warns Arwen about how miserable she will be if she loves Aragorn and then outlives him - when the whole point is the tragedy that to be with him in the first place she would have to renounce her immortality.

And Gollum sounds a bit too much like Daffy Duck.

But ultimately all of these are merely flaws in a film that, as a whole, is absolutely splendid. Well worth seeing.

14. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Must admit I didnt think it was as good as FOTR - I started re-reading the books a couple of years ago, but gave up during Two Towers - too much of Frodo and Sam wandering around in circles for me.

Film was brilliantly made but a bit dull really.

15. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think The Two Towers is great. But no matter how good your home theatre set-up is, it can't beat the cinema (unless you have a poor cinema near you). I'm lucky in that I have many, many cinemas near me, although I always go to one because it is only £9.99 a month for unlimited access and it is a great cinema :D

But back to Two Towers. I think it is brilliant. The cinematography and music take me to a whole new place, just like Star Wars does. Then there is the story and the characters. I can't find many faults with these Lord Of The Rings films. I still think Fellowship is the superior film, but only slightly. I can't wait for the Return of the King, especially after watching the 10 minute preview on TTT DVD :smashin:

Also, just thought I'd say that I can't wait for the Extended Edition of Two Towers. I thought Fellowship was improved and hope this will be as well.

16. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me it was quite the other way around. I found FOTR rather bland when watching it at the cinema. It didn't really entertain me...

Over the year that it took for TTT to come out I got to know the story a little better, got the FOTR DVD...

When I watched TTT at the cinema it was absolutely stunning...

From the very moment I saw Gandalf doing battle with the Balrock at the start, WOW, and it's just even better at home on DVD...

Has anybody else watched the ROTK preview yet?? I cannot wait four months for it to come out - just, well, I don't really know how to describe my excitement, aside from a long piercing scream, which is difficult to communnicate on the Forums.

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    I thought both film equally as good, I was dredging The Two Towers and in the previous film (the animated on) I thought it was rather a jumble, also on the excerpts the film looked rather dark and dismal but on seeing it I was very pleasantly surprised how good it was.

I’m really look forward to seeing the last part as I know practically nothing about it.

PS as above says I think the trilogy is one of those that you have to see on the big screen to actually appreciate the scale of the films.

18. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

Did not enjoy film nowhere near as I did the first. Perhaps I built up my expectations too high? Could not buy the extended version this film dragged too long. Loved the scenery shots and quality of the picture. Last night watched the LOTR in DTS-ES, enjoyed it so much more. Wont stop me from looking forward to seeing the last one though,

Phill

19. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I taotally agree i found this film to be boring, i loved the first from beginning to end, but two towers i found my self praying the battle would kick off, seemed to take an age, definately not a film i could watch over again.

20. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And even when the battle does kick off you REALLY have to stretch your imagination. I mean, what was it, 10,000 demon-type monsters vs 300 humanoids and the monsters STILL get slaughtered!!

21. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing that irritated me about TTT was the fact that - to my eyes - it seems they'd 'bent' the integrity of the film to fill it with 'Trailer' moments...

Stupid and unconvincing deliveries of Dialogue (particularly from Elijah Wood) such as "You will lead us to the black gate". Infuriating!

However, the presence of Gollum and the opening sequence of Gandalf & the Balrock more than made up for all the film's other inadequecies (such as that rather silly battle sequence).

22. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hardly the fault of the film - that's how the story works, although the "disappearence" of the Uruk Hai after they flee will be explained in the extended edition of the DVD

23. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont forget those good old trees :) but i did enjoy the battle alot definately a scene to show your system off :)

24. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    If you know your mediaeval history there's nothing at all unrealistic about a few hundred men being able to hold off thousands, so long as the fortifications and terrain are good enough. Many castles and fortresses were built for precisely that reason.

25. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mediaeval warriors were all humans - even the French, I believe. My emphasis was more on the fact that they weren't fighting men. Not having read the book I guess I was just a little disappointed with the lack of overall ingenuity/ferocity/demonic magical powers of these supposedly hellspawn warriors.

26. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    actually the odds were not so extreme in the book.
    They spiced it up for the film
    I think the extended version will explain what happens to the remaining orcs at the end of the battle.

27. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    When I saw it at the cinema, I didn't enjoy TTT as much as FOTR, but then I'd been watching the extended Fellowship every weekend for 2 months before I saw TTT, which made FOTR appear to be a much more well-rounded film (which at 3.5 hours it is). So I picked up a screener of TTT, watched it another 8 or so times over the next few months and enjoyed it more each time, so now I feel TTT will reap the same benefits of an extended version as FOTR did - I find myself unable to watch the theatrical release of FOTR now as I miss all the bits they cut out to get the running time down.
    Roll on November.....

28. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +567
    There's actually relatively little out-and-out magic in Tolkien. Magic is wielded only by very specific people - Gandalf and his fellow wizards (there are 5 altogether), Sauron, the leader of the wringwraiths perhaps, Elrond, Galdriel, one or two of the other senior elves (such as Glorfindel who doesn't appear in the films), the balrog. But the vast majority of Middle Earth's inhabitants are not inherently magical and do not wield magic. This certainly includes both orcs and uruk-hai. The uruk-hai are physically powerful, but they are also relatively lacking in intelligence. "Hellspawn" is really not an accurate description of orcs.

29. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Two Towers does improve with repeat viewings. The anticipation factor had been cranked up to the nth degree after the triumph that is The Fellowship of the Rings - nothing could live up to the expectation.

Once you watch it for the second/third time, you do appreciate the film a lot more. It is a stunning piece of work.

It is a more difficult narrative than FoTR as there are at least 3 different plot lines running throughout the film. You are also introduced to a number of new characters which, if you've not read the books, you can be forgiven for thinking "I want more Aragorn, Legolas etc etc". On subsequent viewings you will start investing more emotion into the lives of these characters (Eomer, Theoden, Eowyn, Faramir etc) which is testament to the job Jackson has done so far (and the source material of course!)

Bring on the extended edition, and Return of the King!

30. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i thought the two towers was ace, just as enjoyable as fotr :)