1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Two Towers Extended Edition NTSC or PAL for you!?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by one_jedi, Aug 27, 2003.

?
  1. NTSC version, prefer system, don't notice judder but don't like Pal speed up etc

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. NTSC, Have read the the NTSC version is superior, don't care about NTSC judder or PAL formats techni

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. NTSC, has better packaging.

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. NTSC, Have Pal version of 2 DVD set but want the NTSC for the better Extended edition so I have one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. PAL, prefer system, like higher resoloution and don't notice speed up but can't stand NTSC judder et

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. PAL, Have heard NTSC version is supposed to better but PAL version is still excellent and no judder

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. PAL, Easier to get, especially the box set.

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. PAL, Have NTSC version of 2 DVD set but want the PAL for the better Extended edition so I have one f

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Getting Both versions

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so the thread about which DVD's you generaly buy, NTSC or PAL, has proved quite popular so I'm going to something similar but about a specific DVD with similar options. Basically which version of the Extended Edition of The Two Towers will you be buying, NTSC or PAL and why? I Chose The Two Towers as it's bound to popular and also because of the many factors to consider when buying it, ie NTSC version is supposed to be superior but from what I have read the Pal version is still supposed to be excellent. So get voting if you have the time.

2. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Will rent the theatrical version and wait to buy the NTSC extended version

3. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have to be NTSC version at least i know it will be uncut (fellowship was cut on R2) Plus Fellowship had a very poor soundtrack on R2 due to the pitch correction so theres a good chance TTT will be the same.

4. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The film was OK though. only one fo the documentaries was cut/substituted.

I will be going for R1 but not because it is NTSC but because it has one more disc.

BTW bought the R1 of TTT for a change as I have the UKR2 for both FOTR editions and I can't see no idfference in quality and hance take the best equipped version.

5. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What extra DVD is this? Both versions have the WETA workshop Gollum DVD? Plaus both are 4 DVD's.

The Fellowship box set misssed out on the national geographic lord of the rings dvd but I think this was because of licensing in the different countries. Something like New Line had a deal with Natonal Geographic to distribute it in the box set but the same deal wasn't arranged in the UK hence we didn't get it, however you can buy it seperatlty for £10 if you really want it and there is space in the box for it.

If you look on site's like amazon.co.uk it say that the Gollum DVD is included, this is made by Weta/new line so there is not problems with distribution like with the NAtional Geographic.

Also not that this time The Two towers is a 12 where as Fellowship was a PG whcih resulted in the cuts to the features, should be no cuts to the features for The Two Towers.

6. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will be getting the R1 version, simply because I use NTSC Prog Scan and not PAL on my LG Plasma and I agree that the packaging on the R2 FOTR was not of the same quality as the R1 release.

Cheers,

Kirk

7. Repton

Repton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Even though I have a multi-region player, I'll be getting R2 for a sharper picture quality.

8. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard from some places that the NTSC version has a better picture, althought in all the reviews I have seent TTT pal version has got full marks for picture soI don't know if this is true.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSC, because PAL sucks big time. FOTR had messed up audio (either clicking/pitch) and it seemed to show Mpeg artifacts more, and PAL 50hz flicker. I wouldn't be suprised TT will be the same.

I guess BBC progs will probably be better on the PAL R2 version, but sometimes the R1 boxsets are better (ie Blackadder)

10. dtsfan

dtsfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSC for me as i too dislike the PAL speedup.Also the R1 version is cheaper and just looks and feels better made.

11. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, none of the above, but I'll be getting the R1 NTSC because I have the R1 FOTR, and I want the boxes to match!

12. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    on FOTR EE UKR2 one documentary was cut, can't remember which one. it also lost the MTV spoof (not a great loss and I'm proud to own a copy without that piece of [insert swearword])
    I also have the National geographic DVD (long before NEw line announced it for the set. but I was under the impression that that DVD changed in content as well. nevermind.

As for the gollum DVD. that will be part of newline then and maybe EIV will get the rights as well, I don't know.
    the details on amazon.co.uk and play are taken from the R1 announcement available on www.lordoftherings.net this does not necessarily apply to the UKR2 as EIV haven't announced it yet.

HTH

13. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It thought it was just part of a documentary was cut not the whole thing! Can't remember. I still think the UK version will have the Gollum DVD as well tho, have to wait and see....

14. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +725
    NTSC for me so i can give it some prog scan loving

15. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    R1, due PAL speedup. I'm happy to accept fewer scan lines in exchange for correct audio.

16. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    R2 extended version for no particular reason. *edit* ok there is a reason, 576p does look higher definition than 480p on my screen if both transfers have been done optimally. I have no problems with the sound on R2 fellowship extended version.

17. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    NTSC because it will map 1:1 with my fixed panel display device (plasma).

18. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To the people who have voted for the NTSC version or i'm just wondering are you just going to import the normal Extedned Edition or the Collectors Box set edition with the statue?

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Extended edition- not bothered paying extra for the statues. Also due to a bigger box- it'll fill my racking system up (almost full already)

Rather put that extra (£10?) or so to another DVD.

20. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Extended, without the statue.

21. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump in case people havn't voted

22. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like some of the other polls this one has also slowed down but if you havn't voted than feel free. The NTSC versions seems to be more slightly more popular. Personally after getting the R1 version of TTT I much prefered watching the judder free R2 version so I think i'll go for the R2 EE.

23. Jsinger

Jsinger
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the NTSC, Region One extended edition on order for some time now. That'll do nicely.