1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Two Ronnie’s Sketchbook

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    I just finished watching this. It was a nice reminder how good they were and the very first sketch about eyesight was clever beyond belief. And how Ronnie Barker remembered his lines in the round of drinks was just phenomenal I bet even some Oscar winner could not have done it.

The sketches put the vast majority of modern days sketch shows that do not even have a funny punch line let alone numerous jokes though out the sketches.

The program was a good reminder how good Saturday nights entertainment use to be, and how far the standards have fallen.

Sadly I though Ronnie Barker was not looking in the best of health I just hope it is purely because he has lost some weight rather than somthing else.

2. eveofthewar

eveofthewar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that too. Corbett seems well though, still full of beans lol

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    These things are subjective. The two ronnies reminds me of being a kid, but then so does Russ Abbot:rolleyes:

Many sketch shows makes me laugh, little britain the fast show ect. I prefer the harder edge they have personally. It's a different time and i love the new stuff as much as the old. But like all things there's good and bad.

4. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as i know Mr Barker is not unwell - he's mentioned in a few interviews recently that he was concerned that the extra weight he carried round for the early part of his tv career might affect him later in life, so he pretty much went on the fitness wagon as soon as he 'retired'. Still, it is a shock to see him looking so slim.
    So the show was pretty good then? Somehow managed to miss it tonight, but won't make that mistake again. Loved their shows when i was younger, especially the Charley Farley and Piggy Malone 'episodes' :D

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    Russ Abbott was on ITV, they were not renowned for there ability with comedy, even Morecambe and Wise was a shadow of its former glory when they was on ITV. One of the best things ITV did in that line was Benny Hill.
    As to little britain the fast show ect, the later I did not like and Little Britain had some good spots but tended to run the same joke week after week. And both are nether Saturday night family entertainment. Look at Ronnie’s credentials http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0054985/ and I doubt very few will equal it today.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
  7. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Got this recorded. Was looking forward to it with trepidation but it appears that it might be quality after all if you people are right :) Will watch it tomorrow night where proper telly should be :D

Mike.

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Couldn't agree more. There's an awfully fine line between a running joke and the same joke repeated over and over again. To my mind many modern "comedy characters" and "sketch shows" fall on the wrong side of that line far too much of the time.

9. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Timeless classic , i enjoyed the sketches more than when i was younger.
    Also been watching Faulty Towers recently ,even better than i remembered.

10. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Missed this. From what I remember of the 2 Ronnies, their output was pretty prolific. How long did they run for? Ronnie Barker must be in his 70s by now or not far off, so I suppose he would look a little more frail than we remember.

I don't know what they showed last night, but I although I didn't like all of their stuff (found some of it a bit "carry on"), they had some gems which are real classics.
    Who can forget...
    Mastermind (answering the previous question)
    Fork 'andles
    That folk song ("Your flies live but a day but then drop dead upon the floor")

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    He is about 76 now, Ronnie Corbett is a year younger but as says he has been loosing weight and at his age the skin is not as elastic as on a younger person.

Some of the classics I remember is the one where they sell
    Corbett a duck as something else (dog or a racing pidgin?).
    The one about Barker telling a tale in rhyming slang, e.g. a man was walking down the street and almost walked on a brown Richard the 3rd and thinks thank goodness I did not walk on it, then picks it up and puts it back in its nest.
    Then the classic one they always show Fork Handles.

I also though they was also very good in the By the Sea and The Picnic, both right seaside postcard humour.

12. IAN

IAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great to see the welcome return of comic genius :clap:

13. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    David jason refers to ronnie barker as the governor, say no more!

14. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Hi to all, and what a thread for me to post my first comments on this forum.

I've been waiting since before Christmas for this programme to be aired after first hearing about it towards the end of last year. And what a return it was Ronnie C looked well and Ronnie B looked ok, but i believe he had to loose his weight due to low blood pressure (no doubt something i will find out more about when i get round to reading R.B's authorised biography).

Anyway back to last night, superb sketches including, the ice cream shop, the opticians and the drinks order (pair of white boobs and a sack of coal anyone??? :rotfl: )
    The Phantom Raspberry Blower was ok, but i liked the worm that turned and other 'Charlie Farley and Piggy Malone' stories.
    The only thing that did disappoint was the musical guest, could have done without i think.

And just as a side note not only have i got R.B's book but also R.C' autobiog and R.B all i ever wrote, which for a fan is an excellent read, has loads of sketches and plays in the form of the scripts in which they were performed (and written as Gerald Whiley).

Hope i haven't bored you all with my first post but as you may be able to tell im a bit of a fan and only 26.

Thanks
    M.

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    Welcome to the forum Mendes hope you stay around. :smashin:

One thing I did like the musical interlude, they always hed them in the original series I remeber Barbara Dickson use to be one of the regulars. And I like the song they played on Friday.

16. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Thanks for the welcome, and im sure i will.......... :thumbsup:

I liked the song that was on, but will the others guests be in a similar standard, guess time will tell. I know they had the old musical interludes, just i cant remember them being on :oops: . Each to their own, although i was probably just happy to see em back on the box after all the usual nonsense and tripe that is knocking about these day's (Gowd, now im sounding like and old man).

And there are LOADS of classic sketches to come as well, like 'Swedish made easy'. 'The Rook cafe', 'Four Candle, Fork Handles', and there was one when Ronnie B was stood infront of a board that had big pictures on, and when he pointed to it, they formed sentences,which i beleive went something in the vein of.......'im off to the bush to pull a couple of birds' :rotfl:

Thanks
    M.

17. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As i've said, these things are subjectiv. The two ronnies ran to the same format for years lads. Ronnie in his chair, a song and dance routine ect. Good night from him every week

Thats how these things are

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    There is a big difference in a format and using the same joke week after week.
    You cannot compare someone telling jokes in a chair to a bloke dressed as a woman spewing up over everybody week in week out, or someone else getting breast feed week in week out.

It’s a bit like dissing An Audience With; Ken Dodd, Al Murray, Harry Hill, Freddie Starr and saying they are the same format. You could though if everyone said I’m the only gay on stage, or I want bitty.

19. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    There are bits of Little Britain that are very funny, but for me you only need to see a couple of episodes to have seen it all. 2Rs produced a lot of material and (for me) it's not all great, but there are some classics. Same with Monty Python. If you ever see the original episodes, sometimes it's 90% tosh, but there's still the timeless gems.

But I digress. I believe the Rs worked with Cleese on something pre-Python (Frost Report or something?). Some of Mr Barker's clever wordplay sketches are reminiscent of that old Python "word association football" routine. Society for pispronunciation etc.

20. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Proud to say my uncle used to write for The Two Ronnies :) ...

21. Lofty2005

Lofty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ronnie didn't look to good did he?

22. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: