The Trouble With Engineers

R

Ricardo

Here we go, had to happen.

I have a Tosh. 32ZP18Q. It has a slanting screen. Other than that, I'm really pleased with it. I phoned John Lewis about the slant and they said "Sorry sir, we'll send you another one". Although impressed with the response I said no, send an engineer out it's probably just a bit of tweaking. Anyway, two weekends ago the engineer cancelled, apologies but he'll be there between 9 and 1 on 23rd. At 1pm on 23rd I called and asked where is he? The woman said he's about two hours drive away and he will be taking your TV away and leaving you a "loan TV". How big is the loan TV I asked. Anything up to 21" said she. I said forget it, I don't pay £1400 for a TV only to sit and watch portable for the next 6 weeks.

So I phoned John Lewis, and said if the engineer wants to take it away, JL may just as well take it away and give me a new one. It's due for delivery on Thursday and I hope to G I made the right decision. Part of me just wants to say put up with the slant as there's no telling what could be wrong with the next one.

Oh, what to do, what to do.

:confused:

Seems to me you were treated very fairly in being offered a new set so quickly - I would have taken it!

There's always a chance that any set delivered will have a fault, but I have to say that most of the sets I have installed in recent years - both large and small, are fixable if the set up menu is used properly.

The worst fault in many of them is overscanning, but that's because most viewers don't notice it, however they would complain about underscanning!

Some big screen sets allow you to alter the horizontal pitch of the picture from the service menu - it would be worth checking to see if you can so you can do it yourself in future...

Don't assume the worst until it happens!

Originally posted by jim.rae
Some big screen sets allow you to alter the horizontal pitch of the picture from the service menu - it would be worth checking to see if you can so you can do it yourself in future...

Toshiba 32ZP18PQ does not allow Geo-Magnetic correction, the newer ZD models and some other Toshibas do.
The solution to level your slant is for the engineer to adjust the scan coils manually, your swap-out may be bit better / bit worse in this regard.
Next time I would allow the engineer some slack as it is very tricky hitting time slots, that's why many companies insist on 8am to 6pm window.

The slant is not adjustable so i've been told as it would take physical adjustment of the scan coils and the TV repair guy said this was not possible. It probably is by a competent repair guy ? but every one involved with JL seems just to replace eveything.
Does it slope Left to right, all mine did?
Also, not wishing to sound like an intellectual snob these guys are not engineers, the more accurate description would be Technician or good old repair man ( all I've met so far, would insult the term , repair man). The use of the term engineer rather demeans the people whom studied for their engineering qualifications and now bulid bridges, satalites, planes and so on.

Originally posted by mattheu
the TV repair guy said this was not possible.

It definitely is possible, but a stressed service guy will always take the easy swap-out option, usually he can move on to the next call and get home in time for tea.

I thought it may have been, but as I said no service guy wanted to have a go, I felt he knew Jlewis would replace it and he couldn't be bothered, he was hardly streesed, thefirstguy met me at booked time, walked in, said 'I'll get you another' and walked out. I complained to JL they never sent him again. I think the the company that JL uses to delever and install in the Bristol area, are now retissent(sp?) to come near my house.( more likely me than the house, thinking aabout it!)

These guys are NOT engineers, they are technicians.

A properly qualified engineer.:(

Engineer, techician, repair man, call 'em what you like. If they don't turn up at my house two weeks in a row I know what I call 'em and it can't be repeated here!!!

personal bug bear, don't take it personally, us engineers always deliver, technicians, well.........:(

Wasn't it engineers who designed the equipment which doesn't work???? (I'm not a technician but couldn't resist it.)

No, the specs are done by the marketing department, nothing to do with us engineers. :devil:

Oh sorry. So the marketing dept. ask for these problems to occur when writing the specs.

I have the same telly with the same problem. You cannot manually alter the slant. Mine supposedly needed a new tube....10 wks later, yes I did say 10 weeks, a new tv was delivered instead, as Toshiba didn't have any tubes left. Mmm I wonder why. What a joke you can't alter something so critical. The tolerance is 5mm max difference from 1 side to the other. My last set was 8mm difference. This one is 4mm. Noticable if you look right at it I guess and for £1200 atrocious, but at least it doesn't look like you're looking out of the window on a sinking ship anymore :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom