The Trees!

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Silas Greenback, May 8, 2007.

1. Silas Greenback

Silas Greenback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Signal problems..

Hi All,

I have a Samsung LCd tv with built in freeview and a topfield twintuner 5800 PVR.

In the winter the Signal is great, but from around about now to about august the signal sucks!

This is due to large trees behind my house being in leaf...

So the question is, what can I do about it. I can not cut down the trees as there not mine, I cannot extend the Aerial higher as the trees are about 50 ft tall.

I have as part of the original setup a labgear cm7272 12db gain line powered amp/splitter (only one tv is plugged in) and a 18 element aerial

The tv has a signal meter and this shows about 60% strength for digital at the moment. (this goes from 40 % to 60% as and when the trees blow)

Analogue tv is also poor at the moment.

What do you guys reckon? do you think I should go for a more powerfull amp?

my post code is anyone needs it is cv31 2tn

Thanks

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I doubt very much that an aerial amplifier will help you with your problem - if the aerial picks up a bad signal (i.e. one with a lot of [electrical] noise) then more than likely all an amp will do is amplify the signal and the noise. Might be an idea to try to borrow one (on the promise that you'll buy if it does the job), that way at least you won't end up wasting your money.

Other than that, I don't know what else to advise.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. Caralfa

Caralfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that an aerial Amplifier will only amplify the problem. I had to get an amplifier because living in a detached cottage my signal was blocked out by a 300 year old sycamore and I was thankfully able to move the aerial to the other end of house and direct it at a much weaker transmitter. Hence the amplifier then worked as I hoped it would and I got signals that are pretty good. If I turn the amplifier off it's :(
    In the winter when there are no leaves on the Sycamore the signal from main transmitter is fine, but I just couldn't keep getting in an aerial rigger twice a year to move the aerial backwards and forwards. Before Freeview for which I purchased a new and much bigger aerial, I had two aerials with one at each end of the house and I just ran the separate cables to a junction and swapped them over as required. The amplifier and aiming the aerial at the weaker signal was the cheapest option for me.

4. Silas Greenback

Silas Greenback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ho Hum, Thanks guys!

I kinda new it was bad news, but hoped some one would come up with some magic cure I hadn't thought of!

the problem only happens when its windy, so it looks like the only way out of this is to cut down the trees by cover of night!

Thanks

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Who owns the trees ?

I too am looking at "stealth methods" - might be chemical or a ring of copper nails.

Chris Muriel, Copenhagen (normally Manchester)

6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    See if you can find yourself an alternative transmitter.

Oldham has the Winter Hill transmitter as the main one but using the website below and grid reference I find we have a line of sight obstruction close by. (This turns out to be a high ground motorway bridge).

Using this website I have found that I have clear line of sight to the Moel-y-parc transmitter, near Rhyl, North Wales and although its 40 miles further than the Winter Hill transmitter and on a different bearing it is picking up 62 freeview channels - and the quality is much better than Winter Hill. It does have a couple of Mux missing tho' not really that important and by using a wideband aerial replacement instead of the current 18 element 20 year old aerial it may give a complete freeview line-up.
    It already gives me S4C on prog 4 and Channel 4 on prog 8 and it makes a nice change to receive all the ITV, four and five channels when bad weather conditions blot them out on the Winter Hill reception.

http://www.tellyaerial.34sp.com/ta.php/transmitters

7. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    My ex's step-dad built a microwave gun out of an old microwave oven and used that over a period of nights...:rotfl:

8. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    Apologies if this a stupid question or been asked before but when the analogue signal is switched off will all the freeview boxes recieve a better signal? I suppose what i'm trying to ask is will it free up more space for the digital signal?:confused:

9. Caralfa

Caralfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know the signal strength will be increased once there is no analogue signal for it to interfere with. Will still be the same problem with the trees though:(

10. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    If they increase the power of the Freeview transmitters by 10 dB, then you will get an overall gain if the attenuation caused by the trees is less than 10 dB.

Chris Muriel - now in Helsinki, TV crews everywhere for the stupid Eurovision Song Contest:(

11. Silas Greenback

Silas Greenback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was In Helsinki last Thursday, Friday, Espoo to be exact! man it was cold!

Thanks all for your reply's, it looks like I can turn the aerial round to face another further away transmitter with a clear line of sight.

However according to Wolfbane, I would be on the "Extreme outer fringe"

Its not the first time I have been called a loner, but it still hurts! :D

But really, has anybody else tried tuning to a transmitter on the Extreme outer fringe? is it really possible, or am I going to have to sell thing great 5800PVR and go for sky?

can been seen

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=M&HT=10&OS=cv312tn

12. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    There's one way to find out...

Actually it's well worth trying if the trees don't extend round to the direction of the Lark Stoke transmitter.

Where I live is outside the Freeview coverage area according to the Freeview postcode checkers. Wolfbane predicts 21dBuV/m and suggests an extreme outer fringe aerial for digital reception from the transmitter that my aerial is pointing at for analogue reception. This is 2dB below your predicted field strength from Lark Stoke. But I can receive four multiplexes. The BBC ones are fairly solid and Channel 5 is useable. (And I've made no attempt to improve the aerial since Freeview started. It's a wideband Tandy, which dates it, on a rotator that stopped working long ago, so it may not be pointing directly at the transmitter.)

To give yourself the best chance, you will need a high gain wideband aerial and a masthead amplifier. The aerial should be mounted as high as possible, with the elements vertical. By all means try turning your existing aerial first to see if you can get anything (you will also need to rotate it through 90 degrees so the elements are vertical), but don't be put off if you don't. You might need more gain or it might happen to be mounted in a poor position for receiving Lark Stoke. Moving the aerial can make a big difference, either up or down a bit, or sideways a bit, or even to a completely different position.

Your existing aerial might be a group B if it was installed to receive the analogue channels from Sutton Coldfield, or a group E or W if it was installed to receive Freeview from Sutton Coldfield. As I said, you need a Group W (wideband) aerial for Lark Stoke.

But in the end you may simply find you are out of range. It depends on the local terrain and what lies between you and the transmitter.

13. earwax

earwax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thre's Megalithia for complete terrain twixt you and transmitter, For your grid reference Streetmap is good IMHO.

14. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I believe I have been delivered from the tree problem by a combination of tuning to a different transmitter *and* pointing my aerial up. I have the DAT45, which includes a +-15 degree elevation setting. May be worth a try.

15. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The Moel-y-Parc Transmitter is over 56 kms from my address. Wolfbane doesn't give all the choices. You have several others available from your grid reference.

http://www.tellyaerial.34sp.com/ta.php/localtx?homeNGR=SP320639