The Trapdoor (EPL 17/18)

Which three?

• Total voters

When In Rome

Ex Member
Reaction score
Who do we think will leave the top flight next year?

Untitled.png

League table as at 2nd October 2017, courtesy BBC Football

Palace
Newcastle
Everton

Palace, Bournemouth, Swansea.

All 3 have been consistently poor for a while now.

There's immediate hope for Crystal Palace. After the Chelsea game, the cut-off point might well be just eight points, easier to make up at this stage. After that, still a season long battle but if they can put something together now, relegation can be avoided, hence my reluctance to write them off so soon.

I've gone with Palace and Brighton based on what I've seen. Last spot is difficult to call, but went with Swansea (only because they've scored so few).

How many think Palace now?
Sticking with Swansea - Carvahal is too nice.
Watford are in freefall and drew no voters at the start.
Brighton and Southampton - maybe Bournemouth too, all in danger.
And Stoke?

Palace have looked pretty good since Hodgson took over and no longer look like relegation certs. The relegation race is so tight I think there might be more surprises to come.

Untitled5.png

Of the original favourites, Palace have climbed clear but no-one in the second half looks safe.

Easy to be swayed by current form both positive abd negative but I feel Lambert might prove the wrong choice for Stoke while Carvalhal could keep the Swans ib safe water.

David Wagner has now said that being in the bottom three will make it easier because they will have to chase instead of looking over their shoulder. o_O

40 points is usually the cut? I think it will be around that figure and I'd put money on all but the current bottom three for the drop.

See how easily I am persuaded by current form? :D

Untitled5.png

Of the original favourites, Palace have climbed clear but no-one in the second half looks safe.

Easy to be swayed by current form both positive abd negative but I feel Lambert might prove the wrong choice for Stoke while Carvalhal could keep the Swans ib safe water.

David Wagner has now said that being in the bottom three will make it easier because they will have to chase instead of looking over their shoulder. o_O

40 points is usually the cut? I think it will be around that figure and I'd put money on all but the current bottom three for the drop.

See how easily I am persuaded by current form? :D

NO way will you need 40 points, I'd say it may be a record low of 35-37 (if that is a record).

NO way will you need 40 points, I'd say it may be a record low of 35-37 (if that is a record).

I'm not sure what the record low is but with the third bottom side already at 24 points and with a dozen games so 36 points left to play for, I would say 40 points might even be a conservative estimate - maybe the cut will be 42?

I'll stick my neck out and say 37-38pts will be enough to avoid the drop(for it get to 40pts it would require a huge improvement in form from 2/3 teams at the bottom which is very unlikely). I don't think WBA can win 7 of the next 12, so they're favourites to go out along with Huddersfield who haven't won for almost 2 months and lost the last 5 games.
Then we've got everyone below Watford in the table right now fighting to avoid the last relegation spot, but I think it will be between Stoke, Newcastle and Brighton.
Having said as much this season has been so unpredictable, if I ignore the title race.

CRY - Zaha injury a killer
HUD - sinking now, bit like Blackpool years back
SWA - lost bodies in Fer + Bony for rest if season

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that the three promoted teams might find themselves all going straight back down.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom