1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The transition from prologic to DD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nickoff, May 9, 2001.

1. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently run a Denon 2500 prologic reciever that has served me well for about 4 or 5 years.

It does a good job with music(to my ears anyway) in stereo, driving 4 ohm main speakers to reasonable levels, but in prologic mode it is rather weak as it is only rated at 25 watts x 1 in the rear channel.

I have been surfing the net for some time now to educate myself on the DD, DTS formats and equipment that are available. What I would like to know is would an upgrade to say a the Denon 2801 be a significant improvement over what I have now?

I would love to go for the 3801 or even the next Denon model up, but the "trouble and strife" factor is kicking in and I may need to curb my ht desires (and budget)!

Also, I do not run a sub at the moment and wondered whether adding a sub to my current system would "lift" it enough in the ht department to get me by for another few years?

Your educated and knowledgable advice is appreciated.

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Go for it!. I was amazed at the difference. Its not just the stereo rears. It is also the dynamic range afforded by both DD and DTS. I sometimes start waching a film (by accident!) in prologic, and i can tell straight away. I notice that sound effects just don't have the vigour etc. I you can, get a demo of a digital amp. Watch a scene in DD/DTS then watch the same scene in Prologic. I will sound fairly flat in comparison!. Don't get me wrong, Prologic can sound very good when the sound mixers have done a good job. But it is a hit and miss affair...Paul ;)

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I agree with Fulabeer, if you remember the difference it made when you went from nicam in your tv to prologic surround then it is probably a bigger difference in to DD/DTS.

Go for it.

BTW a friend of mine has just bought the denon 2801 as a replacement for an old Prologic setup and even in prologic it is a significant improvement over the old setup. DD is just a different league! :)