The Toys That Made Us (Question Why They Made a Movie) - AVF Movies Podcast Discussion Thread

jonah.gif

My toys were 1) Star Wars, 2) Lego, 3)Action Man/Action Force. Action Force morphed into what is now (I understand) GI Joe.

I suppose with Star Wars the toys came after, so that really doesn't count. But I was all about Star Wars. The Lego movies are really well done I think, even the straight to DVD/Streaming ones. Very tongue in cheek. Not really seen the GI Joe movies so no real opinions there either.

Was never into He Man or Transformers, and I was too old by the time Turtles came out.

I do remember a limited run of A-Team and Battlestar Galactica figures in the 80s. I had some of them I think.

1627911979771.png

Remember these guys the Red Shadows? (pre-Cobra)
1627911908902.png

1627912031836.png

Last edited:
I gave it a number 2. Sorry!

Masters of the Universe was picked up by Cannon Films. They could get away with B/C/Z grade actioners on a peanut budget starring Chuck Norris, Bronson, Dudikoff et al.; but not so much sci-fi/fantasy spectaculars (see also Superman IV). What made it worse is that they were just starting to get into deep doodah financially just after acquiring the rights. That’s why it’s not as good as Star Wars, maybe? :D Just like Superman IV being inferior to Donner’s origin story from 78. The director of MOTU was also a journeyman whereas a fresh George Lucas had a vision for his space opera.

Masters of the Universe gets bonus points for having the best bald actor outside of Kojak - the mighty James Tolkan as a beleaguered cop.

Thanks for some interesting responses.
It went in a bit of a different direction than I thought it would which is great!

Maybe we can have a talk on the podcast about franchises with prolific toy lines too. I'll see how we're pushed for time!

Don't forget, it's tonight at 7:30pm on the AVF YouTube channel. See you there!

My toys were 1) Star Wars, 2) Lego, 3)Action Man/Action Force. Action Force morphed into what is now (I understand) GI Joe.

I suppose with Star Wars the toys came after, so that really doesn't count. But I was all about Star Wars. The Lego movies are really well done I think, even the straight to DVD/Streaming ones. Very tongue in cheek. Not really seen the GI Joe movies so no real opinions there either.

Was never into He Man or Transformers, and I was too old by the time Turtles came out.

I do remember a limited run of A-Team and Battlestar Galactica figures in the 80s. I had some of them I think.

View attachment 1550042

Remember these guys the Red Shadows? (pre-Cobra)
View attachment 1550039

View attachment 1550045

Those must be the older incarnations as the Action Force figures I owned had different packaging:

D9174E33-F84D-4411-B76C-A9F07FBE19C3.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom