The Toys That Made Us (Question Why They Made a Movie) - AVF Movies Podcast Discussion Thread

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score

Hello, orcs and elves, and welcome again to this month's AVF Movies Podcast discussion thread.​

The next Movies Podcast hosted by me, @Simon Crust and introducing @Mark Costello will be livestreaming on our YouTube channel on Wednesday 4th August 2021 at 7:30pm

As per, we want to hear what your informed reckon is regarding our topic of the month, which is "Do films based on toys always turn out bad?"

With the release of the new He-Man show we got to thinking, 'Are there any toy-based movies we actually like?' to find out, tune in, but in the mean time, we'd like to ask you if you have a favourite in the...genre? Is it a genre of its own? Sort of? We're excluding video game adaptations here, or were just opening another can of worms.
The most interesting responses will be discussed on the podcast!

- What films based on toys or board games do you like and, importantly, is that the same as them being good?

- Are there any particularly heinous examples?

-Do TV shows work better? Why (not)?

Let us know your thoughts in the special box for replies provided by the UI just at the bottom there.

I remember going to my local cinema as a 7 or 8 year old to see Masters of the Universe and very excited for it. Hard to believe now, but the film was so in demand that the teatime showing we intended to watch was sold out, and I vividly recall the sense of disappointment. Luckily, we were able to book the later showing. My prepubescent self absolutely loved it despite the low budget resulting in a lack of action on Eternia itself. I don’t think I’ve watched it since the days of VHS and most regard it as a bad movie it would seem. I’m not in a rush to have my childhood memories destroyed by watching it now, although I may have done so before now if the blu-ray is not so expensive!

It was Turtles for me. One Christmas I literally got everything Turtles.
Overall though it would have to be Star Wars. Between me & my brother we had the lot and played with them relentlessly.

For board games, Clue surely has to be one of the successes from a critical standpoint, if not box office (but I think it's become something of a cult hit since). The first Lego movie is also a great example of what's possible if the filmmakers get decent creative freedom.

I remember going to my local cinema as a 7 or 8 year old to see Masters of the Universe and very excited for it. Hard to believe now, but the film was so in demand that the teatime showing we intended to watch was sold out, and I vividly recall the sense of disappointment. Luckily, we were able to book the later showing. My prepubescent self absolutely loved it despite the low budget resulting in a lack of action on Eternia itself. I don’t think I’ve watched it since the days of VHS and most regard it as a bad movie it would seem. I’m not in a rush to have my childhood memories destroyed by watching it now, although I may have done so before now if the blu-ray is not so expensive!
The fact that playing the synthesiser is essential to saving the universe makes this an all-time great.
Plus... Frank Langella.

Those first 15 minutes just looked out of this world. I remember loving this as a child, and then going to a family BBQ where a friend of the family spent 20 minutes telling me why the film was rubbish. He was like the Internet guy before the internet :laugh:

Think I may have to rewatch this some time soonish.

It was Turtles for me. One Christmas I literally got everything Turtles.
Overall though it would have to be Star Wars. Between me & my brother we had the lot and played with them relentlessly.
This is a good shout I remember watching and enjoying this well in to my 20s. Well due for a revisit.

To be honest I'll fight anyone to the death that has a bad word to say about Masters of the Universe. Dolph and Frank, the most inspirational bit of casting in cinema history.

Are you not interested in video games, as there's an absolute wealth of discussion there, Mortal Kombat perhaps being the most recent and relevant example.

Last edited:
To be honest I'll fight anyone to the death that has a bad word to say about Masters of the Universe. Dolph and Frank, the most inspirational bit of casting in cinema history.

Are you not interested in video games, as there's an absolute wealth of discussion there, Mortal Kombat perhaps being the most recent and relevant example.
Video game movies will return in a dedicated podcast all to themselves.

I have A LOT to say about Super Mario Bros.

Stephen Sommers’ GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra is an enjoyable CGI fuelled romp. As well as He Man, I was really into the GI Joes figures (or Action Force as it was known in the UK). I thought GI Joe: Annihilation was quite average but I will give Snake Eyes a chance (despite the bad reviews).

I used to love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie. It was the height of Turtle-mania and you were the coolest kid around if your mum/dad was able to procure a pirate VHS copy (which I obvs don’t condone ;) ) at the market. The recent Turtles films are ok as a watch once job.

Bay’s first Transformers movie is watchable despite the shakey cam action sequences. 2 is crap whilst I’m quite fond of Dark Side of The Moon. I haven’t watched the others yet.

Popular toy ranges I wished were made into films:

Thundercats
Centurions
MASK

Video game movies will return in a dedicated podcast all to themselves.

I have A LOT to say about Super Mario Bros.

Everyone has A LOT to say about Mario Bros.

No slagging Bob Hoskins though :nono:

Fair enough on Video games, I have A LOT to say about those as well :D

Star Wars all the way for me. I've still got my (very much played with) vintage figures, and will never forget being presented with C3-PO and R2-D2 at aged four by my grandparents. That moment pretty much shaped my entire toy collecting childhood, not to mention my love of cinema. I was open to other stuff, and remember getting a full set of Black Hole figures from Poundstrecher of all places. I dabbled with the Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rodgers range too, and remember getting Buck, Wilma and Twiki. All good fun, but nothing ever surpassed my love for Star Wars.I

1627839603729.png
1627839742265.png

1627838812909.png

1627839232944.png

Attachments

• 1627839435837.png
    1627839435837.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 52
At the risk of pedantry, Star Wars is not a movie based on toys is it? :) The toys/merchandise came off the back of the success of the movies.

This is all bringing back dark memories of my toys :laugh:

My sister telling me that my AT-AT could walk down the stairs on it's own, that's why it had 4 legs.

So I set it loose then watched as it fell down them and smashed into pieces.

The worst day of my life, and I was only 7 years old.

At the risk of pedantry, Star Wars is not a movie based on toys is it? :) The toys/merchandise came off the back of the success of the movies.
Sorry in my excitement, I got the wrong end of the stick. By whilst we're there anway, I'll have a mini rant about never getting that Millenium Falcon I wanted sooooo badly. I've still not quite forgiven my parents...

Once I got the SW bug, I could never quite get get to grips with figures that werent based on films. They all seemed liked pretenders. As friends got into He-Man, certainly the cartoon never did much for me, and neither did the eventual film. A proposed new version might work these days , seeing as we have movies based on flimsy ideas such as theme park rides.

This is all bringing back dark memories of my toys :laugh:

My sister telling me that my AT-AT could walk down the stairs on it's own, that's why it had 4 legs.

So I set it loose then watched as it fell down them and smashed into pieces.

The worst day of my life, and I was only 7 years old.
I know a good therapist Rich...

I know a good therapist Rich...

It's too late. In subsequent years my sister buried my Battle Beasts in the garden never to be found, sold my He-Man so she could buy My Little Pony, and left my Fall Guy truck in the road to get run over.

The damage is all done.

I guess you could throw Toy Story in as the absolute pinnacle of this. The premise couldn't be anymore apt.

I realise that Woody and Buzz were toys created afterward based on the original's success, but the heart of the series is that special relationship with your toys. And throughout we see many of our old favourites like the Toy Soldiers, Ken, Barbie, the Slinky.

The Transformers cartoons and cartoon movie were just awesome.

The HE MAN movie just destroyed all faith I had in it ever being made into a good movie. I just wanted Orko and not have it on Earth, And he never really said the main lines.
Just pish.

I was disappointed in the Turtles movie also. Although at the time watching it on a pirated VHS I struggled to see what was going on really but it was the same old plot.

Not really toys I suppose but the Garbage pail kids movie was pretty pish also.

Did you just try and give Masters of the Universe a 4!!? :eek:

I gave it a number 2. Sorry!
Masters of the Universe

My mate and I's 'movie to get drunk to' choice for the evening.

Two thoughts occurred after laughing and cringing our way through this mulleted bowel-movement: 1) how fit was Courtney Cox in 1987; and 2) how the hell did this come out 10 years after Star Wars and still get presented as mainstream popular entertainment. Characters more wooden than a branch of Ikea; production values equivalent to a village carnival; and special effects less convincing than a pair of 8 year olds playing with action figures.

Honestly, we brought the full force of beer goggles and nostalgia glasses to bear on this, and it still stinks.

2/10

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom