The Toshiba's RCE problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tan1415, Feb 4, 2001.

1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

We have had the discussion about which DVDplayer is better...tosh SD100E or the Pioneer 535.
    The picture/build of the Tosh is maybe better,BUT isn't the fact that the Tosh is not RCE capable make the 535 the better multiregion player?!?

I mean right now it's not that big a issue. Only the patriot and Hollowman region1 dvds are RCE protected.
    But i believe there will only be MORE DVD's using this protection in the future.
    All sony owned moviecompanys will be using it,because they made the RCE protection.
    Of course other big distributors can also start using it.(Warner,Polygram,Dreamworks etc)

And if this will happen. Your Multiregion Tosh sd100e will be like any other regular DVD player and you'll still be forced to buy a RCE proof DVDplayer to play your RCEprotected region1 DVDs.

If you consider this and you're thinking of buying a DVDplayer now....isn't the DVD535 or anyother RCE proof DVDplayer superior to the Tosh SD100E?

Looking forward to your views.

Daniel Tan

2. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tan,
    I have to disagree.First off,the Tosh 100 is the best 'budget' player around.It will be replaced by the 110 in April i understand.However,the 100 can be bought for around #200 multi-region,which is a steal.In the latest 'What TV&Video, they have printed the method to get around RCE for the Tosh 100/200.Accepting your argument for a moment though,there is an obvious solution.Buy all the discs you want, as soon as possible from R1.I have done this,and i have to say on my discs i have not come across RCE.To be honest it is a bit over-hyped at present,but i have taken reasonable steps.One important thing to remember is R4 have a lot of the extras of R1,and no RCE,so i don't really see a problem.
    PS:I received Escape to Victory today,R1,
    and it looks great in 2:35:1 anamorphic ratio.Totally destroyed the pan/scan vhs copy!

3. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it me or do companies like Toshiba seem to like replacing products with updated versions every 6-12 months. I bet the new 110E will look exactly the same as the 100E and will have almost identical features!

I have the Pioneer 626D on my Home Cinema TV and a Toshiba 100E on my other TV. The Toshiba beats my Pioneer for picture and sound quality. Also IMHO the RCE problem is not too bad as Techtronics will have a solution ready next month!

4. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DaBuzz,
    Two televisions,and two dvd players is rather decadent methinks.If you donate one tv and one dvd player to charity, you will surely feel a lot happier.Better to give than to receive i was always told...

5. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Napoleon which issue of "what hifi video" was it in?
    The February issue?
    If so can you tell me which method they used?

And is it maybe the same method as mentioned in http://www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/rce.html

Also RCE is not that widely used. Sofar only Hollowman and Patriot reg1 DVDs use RCE.
    Both are from Columbia pictures a subsidiary from Sony.
    But newer DVDs from Sonyowned companys will start using RCE. And like normal region coding this will not only make your player not able to play region1 DVDs but also region 4.

And Dabuzz the rce solution that techtronic is promissing is that only for machines bought and decoded by techtronic or can it also be used for other multiregion SD100e.

6. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well tried both solutions with a SD100e.

Only the Multregionmagic solution worked...the one from techtronic didn't.

But the one from multiregionmagic only works on the Film. The special features were still protected and nor accessibble.

A real bummer.