The Toshiba RD-XS34SB observations

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alan8477, Aug 1, 2005.

1. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had my XS34 for almost two weeks now, and I am hugely impressed.

For example I setup today to record Ice Station Zebra. Being a little distracted, I assumed it would be around two hours duration. So to be on the safe side I set it for 2.5 hours. It turned out to be almost 3 hours (with adverts and trailer)! No problem, with the XS34 I was able to hit the EXTEND button a few times to add 45 minutes of recording time.

Things I like:
    * I can set the timer, but don't have to turn the machine off or put it in timer mode to make the recording happen.
    * I can just hit record if something pops up on screen.
    * Timeslip is just fab.
    * The selection of ready composed menus is lovely.
    * The satelite control on timer recordings.
    * The timebar.
    * Chapter divide whilst watching the recording.
    * The who awesome editing suite.
    * Picture in Picture.
    * The fab remote (so glad it has not been dumbed down).

This is a real enthusiast's machine. I just wish it had EPG for satellite.

This is a great machine.

2. spannersuk

spannersuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mentioned you liked
    The satelite control on timer recordings.
    How does that work - which type of sat box do you have.

How do you find the fan noise?

I see you live in Worcester (so do I) -- did you get it locally? I've been trying to see / hear one in the flesh without luck.

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Spanner, the sat control works through the use of a cable attached infra red transmitter. I have a bog standard Pace Sky box (not plus). The satellite channel is entered in the XS34 timer setup and just before recording is due to start, the sat channel is triggered by the Tosh. Very reliable so far.

I sit about 2mtrs from the Tosh. I can just about hear it when there is no sound. In fact I have just muted my TV sound, and it really is almost inaudible. Be different if you sat right next to it I would imagine.

I bought it mail oder from RGBDirect.

My father-in-law had bought an XS32, and I had played around with his.

Where abouts do you live in Worcester?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Never been to Worcester but Comet sells the RDXS34 nationwide - so if you have a store local to you try there. In some stores they will even setup a brief demo for you.

5. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just had one delivered and was wondering how you have connected it to the Sky Digibox.

I connected the Sky VCR out to the AV2 on the Toshiba, I then read the Sky box manual which indicates that the Sky VCR out is not RGB (RGB in only).
    I have now connected the Sky TV out to the AV2. The problem is that to watch sky I have to use the Toshiba as a switching box.

Apologies if this does not make sense.

6. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I just received mine from Buy Your AV. Ordered Monday afternoon, delivered Tuesday morning, good price as well - £268 delivered. Can't fault them.

7. AVJ

AVJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the toshiba XS34 fan always "on" even the recorder is in standby mode ?!

Plus do anyone of you know any link showing the "inside / interior" pics of this toshiba recorder ?
    I would like to know what Harddisk, DVD burner models are used, and how good is the circuit layout inside.
    Thanks !

8. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You must have got the last one, I ordered Monday AM took delivery Tuesday AM, they said they had 2 in stock when I placed the order. I must say considering I had never heard of them they seemed on the ball.
    I think the user manual although very comprehensive could be made a bit more simple.

9. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I took the lid off mine, didn't notice what writer it was, but the hard drive was Maxtor.

The fan is not on when the unit is in standby. I believe the US models do have a permanently on fan as it updates the TV guide whilst in standby. The UK model does not have a TV guide facility.

10. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone mentioned that with the cover off, the noise of the fan, such as it is, pretty much disappeared completely. Did you notice this?

11. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It was disconnected from the mains when I took the lid off.

I don't find fan noise a problem at all.

12. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree the noise from the fan is not a problem, in my room the ambient noise masks it unless you get really close to the machine.

13. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like you guys I haven't found the fan to be a problem but vaguely recall someone saying that witht he casing off, the fan itself was virtually silent and that all he could surmise was that the noise that some have was due to the vent holes in the case. That said, I've had the XS34 since launch and, touch wood, it's been pretty much faultless and never failed to impress.

14. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes, think that was probably me! I queried the fan noise when I got my recorder, and the shop sent out their engineer with a replacement fan. He fitted the new fan, and with the lid off it was silent, but as soon as the lid went back on, it was back to the same old noise. But to be honest, I just decided to live with it, as I'm so impressed with the machine otherwise - and now I really only very rarely even notice the fan at all! (And not when the TV's at a normal volume with a normal soundtrack.)

The inside of the machine looked very tidy - I seem to recall one of the components was possibly a Samsung, but can't remember if that was one of the disk drives or the tuner!!