1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Top 40 bands in Britain today...

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Whiting, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    ...or so says today's Guardian.

Ok, it's another "one of those" lists but the article is fairly interesting. Here's the full list if you don't want to bother with the article proper (look forward to Dr. Fox reading out #40 in the chart rundown one day -- I hope the masking is sufficiently heavy Mr. Moderator ) :

40. Selfish C*$&
    39. Fallacy
    38. Mr Scruff
    37. Joss Stone
    36. Franz Ferdinand
    35. Lone Pigeon
    34. Martina Topley-Bird
    33. Hundred Reasons
    32. Spiritualized
    31. Girls Aloud
    30. British Sea Power
    29. The Cinematic Orchestra
    28. Rishi Rich
    27. Muse
    26. Richard X
    25. Belle and Sebastian
    24. Lemon Jelly
    23. Four Tet
    22. Pet Shop Boys
    21. David Holmes
    20: Broadcast
    19. Beth Gibbons
    18. Coldplay
    17. Robert Wyatt
    16. Goldfrapp
    15. Basement Jaxx
    14. Sugababes
    13. Chemical Brothers
    12. Super Furry Animals
    11. Dizzee Rascal
    10. David Bowie
    9. The Streets
    8. The Darkness
    7. Mis-Teeq
    6. Blur
    5. Roots Manuva
    4. The Coral
    3. P J Harvey
    2. Radiohead
    1. The Libertines

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Streets. The Darkness... Mis-Teeq!!!!! what the hells going on? How on gods earth does girls aloud come before Spiritualized:confused:

3. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    (Cough) I will now attempt to defend the Girls Aloud entry(/Cough)

Well, they're not for me (and I'm not one of the ones who, should know better, who found the first single great by any means) and they're not for you, Keanyboy, but to be fair to them, the album has had great reviews, especially in some of the more "respectable" publications (please note the quote marks). So perhaps there is some substance to them ? Perhaps the album is chock full of killer pop tunes with intelligent lyrics ? I don't know, I've not heard it and I don't intend to but, just maybe, some 10-year old girl has had this band rock her world and will be demanding a little more from the pop acts of the day...

Anyway, that's enough of the pap...:D...

Spiritualized, I think, have lost their way recently...to be fair, the new one is growing on me but they do have the albatross of "Ladies and Gentlemen..." to contend with.

The Streets, I like. An excellent debut album. Witty and very listenable whilst being fresh and inventive much better than Dizzee Rascal (but we won't go there again, will we ?)

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Complete ********.

Based on what?

Let's have a list of best tasting foods next, based on the opinion of only a small group of people... or just one bloke with a word processor and a lot of spare time! Then of course everyone would have to agree!

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i did move the bloke who lived next door to the parents of the blond one from girls aloud, so i'll let them of. Plus i will sell the address for a fiver.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Its an unusual list, loads of bands I havent heard of, it all falls apart with the Libertines at number one (nothing wrong with the Libertines). I could mention any of the top 20 in conversation and apart from Roots Manuva and the Coral, most people would probably know them and would have heard of the other two. Im not sure anybody would have heard of the Libertines.

On a slightly different tack, did you catch The Darkness on TOTP, they were cheered for ages after they finished the song. Flash in the Pan, I think not, they already look like a band on the same level as U2 and Queen.

7. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yeah, of course you take it with a pinch of salt. To take your food analogy, it's similar to those "Best Restaurants in Britain" lists (99% of which are in London) -- well, I'd wager my favourite corner cafe's not in there but it doesn't make it any less relevant to me.

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    erm... Massive Attack? Ian Brown? Groove Armada? Leftfield? Manic Street Preachers? Primal Scream?

9. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm, I really like 'Ladies and Gentlemen...'. In fact, it's my favourite Spiritualized album.

British Sea Power are definitely dodgy, mind. I can't get into the 'the demise of' at all.

10. Kali

Kali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    errm "in Britain today"... all the above groups you've mentioned have had their time in the limelight and are now content to churn out uninspired records to please their respective record company contracts and to cash in on their lingering fans.

I'd say the same for Chemical Brothers & Spiritualized as well, even though I'm a very big Spiritualized fan :)

11. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: :laugh: :nono: :rolleyes:

12. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I think its the Libertines at 1 that irk me the most. They really aren't that good and I would hope the Coral would climb at the expense of the top three if the list was repeated in a year

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

[​IMG]

14. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: :laugh:
    i thought you were being sincere, and had broken into a cold sweat:laugh:
    i thought thet looked quite subdued on totp.
    maybe they are starting to tire of themselves:clap:

15. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's funny that, cos I was listening to Up The Bracket on the way into work and thought how brilliant the album is. Except one track, Radio America which I don't like, I was singing along and drumming the steering wheel to every song.

And the odd thing is, I find The Coral quite dull, and for some reason I can't get Showaddywaddy out of my head when I hear them (it may only be 'Dreaming of you'). Maybe I need to listen to them more, or maybe they're just not my thing. I heard The Bandits album a few weeks ago and that is so much like The Coral that it put me off the 'liverpool scene' even more, and I think The Zutons are in a similar vein aren't they? In contrast I do find Libertines material very original, though that may be as much to do with the raw studio production as the sound. I've never managed to see them live so dunno.

Still, each to their own, & let's include the guy who wrote the article in that as well ;)
    I'm sure he was just reporting his opinion, the same as we all do on here.

16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Quite so and I must admit to not having listened to the Libertines album the prerequesite 3 or 4 times to really get a handle on it, it just didn't grab me the way that some albums instantly do, which in turn leads to my confusion at it being at number 1. As someone who pretty much worships the ground the Chemical Brothers walk on, I feel they should of course have taken top spot :D
    But what do I know?

17. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mate, I used to be like that............................until I listened to the Libertines :D :D

18. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Would consider Goldfrapp to be a potential successor for me- felt mountain is one of the best albums I've heard in 2003.
    On a different note- I listened to "The Wall" on vinyl last night, whilst listening to that, I couldn't have cared an iota about those 40 bands. Still totally brilliant.

19. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not heard Felt Mountain, I thought it was a bit Royksopp-ish who tends to make me doze off, but Black Cherry, now that's a good album. I like a bit of 80's influenced sleaze every so often!

BTW - if you can, try get to see Alison Goldfrapp do a DJ set - she rocks the house

20. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The Zutons just might be the best of the lot based on the singles to date. Watch that space.

I think the Coral are great but that last album flatters to deceive. Seems a little...I don't know...flat ? Pass It On is fantastic though.
    I saw a Pete-less Libertines support them in the Summer and, whilst both bands were fantastic, the Libertines edged it for me.

21. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, must say Pass It On is a good track. Hopefully you should soon be able to see a Pete-complete Libertines again soon. He's out the nick and patching up his friendships as far as i know. The good ship Albion will sail again.