The Top 10 Best Movies of 2020 & Comments

From what I gather 'UNDERWATER' would have been better had it not had the surfer dude (TJ MIller?) spoiling it with his ill-timed one-liners?

I've seen most of those films... it's a great list.

'LET HIM GO' wins it for me. Diane Lane's performance just stays with you too. Haunting.

Some good films on here don’t really agree with the invisible man yeah some good ideas but overall it bored me only ended up watching it to see what happens maybe I watched a different film to everyone else? For me on that list it’s gotta be Let Him Go if it ever gets a Blu-ray release I’ll be picking it up

I loved The Invisible Man and glad to see it in the top 10.

Parasite is terribly over-rated IMHO. It was just stupid. I'd definitely put Extraction and Possessor in my personal top 10. Both amazing.

1. Babyteeth
2. The Personal History of David Copperfield
3. Let him go
4. 1917
5. The Wolf of Snow Hollow
6. The Trial of the Chicago 7
7. Extraction
8. The Vast of Night
9. Da 5 Bloods
10. Tenet

Havent watched Mank or Nomadland yet though I understand they’re decent. Tenet only makes my list because I’m still trying to wrap my head around it and when I finally do I’ll no doubt enjoy it a lot more.

Only seen 4/10 on the list. Will have to check my notes when i get back home to see if i can even make a top 10 list of 2020 movies :rotfl:

Parasite may well be my No 1 though.

Surprised not to see Richard Jewell and The Trial of the Chicago 7 on this list. 2 of my favourite films of the year

After much thought, my top ten of 2020 goes something a little like this -

1609447623404.png

1) Let Him Go
Loved this, and absolutely worth the wait after several delays this year. So glad I managed an online rental last week, before Amazon inexplicably pulled it.
2) The Last Tree
Until 'Let Him Go' came along this month, this was a clear number one for me. Lovely stuff.
3) Uncle Frank
Another fantastic surprise from Amazon Studios
4) 1917
5) Yes God Yes
6) The Gentlemen
7) The Devil All The Time
8) Calm With Horses
9) Rocks
10) The Invisible Man

Biggest disappointments -

Da 5 Bloods
Tenet

Ok here we go -
14.Waves
13.The Gentlemen
12.Little Women
11.Possessor
10.Extraction
09.Dark Waters
08.Bombshell
07.A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood
06.Invisible Man
05.The Devil All The Time
04.Parasite
02.Trial Of Chicago 7
01.Uncut Gems

Brilliant cinema experiences- Unhinged first film after lockdown and Gremlins a few days before Xmas for the first time on the big screen.

Best films I’ve seen for the first time not from this year -
Train To Busan/Peanut Butter Falcon/Zodiac

Worst - Bloodshot

Brilliant cinema experiences- Unhinged first film after lockdown and Gremlins a few days before Xmas for the first time on the big screen.
Love this. I remember having a similar experience with Tenet as my first post lockdown flick (even though I didn't rate it!) . Just to be back where my real passions are was quite a thing. I love my 65" OLED, but it can't quite replicate the full fat cinematic experience. Long live cinema!

I think I missed a trick not seeing Gremlins as part of all the reruns this year. It'll always be one those films I remember feeling utterly crushed as I was turned away at the door for being a shade under the 15 rating...As a result it was VHS all the way (and a long wait) for my first viewing. Maybe a real cinema visit will help exorcise those demons...

^ first 20minutes of Tenet was ruined for me by a couple dopes sitting in front of us, we moved, then the next 2 hours were ruined for us by Chris Nolan.
To young to have seen Gremlins at the cinema and had not watched it for years. Was a festive blast.

Ok here we go -
14.Waves
13.The Gentlemen
12.Little Women
11.Possessor
10.Extraction
09.Dark Waters
08.Bombshell
07.A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood
06.Invisible Man
05.The Devil All The Time
04.Parasite
02.Trial Of Chicago 7
01.Uncut Gems

Best films I’ve seen for the first time not from this year -
Train To Busan/Peanut Butter Falcon/Zodiac

Worst - Bloodshot

Great shout there for Peanut Butter Falcon barnaby.

Definitely one of the best films of the last decade for me. Simple genius, beautifully told, with a host of great performances.

Deserved far more plaudits than it got.

There are a number of levels once can enjoy a film including just pure spectacle, intriguing story or understanding the sub-text. I didn't really get the last one until Back Panther and now again with Da 5 Bloods. Indeed, the comments on Da 5 Bloods remind me a little of the comments around Black Panther.

I won't pretend that I understand what it is like to be a war veteran, but as shown in many films, it can a complicated mess. Add on top of the complications of fighting for a country you know hates you for no reason. The enemy knows this too and uses it as a propaganda tool you have to deal with along with the other psychological issues only a war veteran who has been in battle will truly understand.

Thinking about most of what I just said, is that really sub-text? It seemed pretty clear to me. But maybe the experience of the Vietnam war told from a completely different viewpoint along with some deliberately amateurish camera techniques could be alienating for some.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen many films this year but my top 10 would include:
Parasite
Tenet
Uncut Gems (2019)
The Gentlemen
Greyhound

Honourable mentions:
Buff John Wick in India ;)

There are a number of levels once can enjoy a film including just pure spectacle, intriguing story or understanding the sub-text. I didn't really get the last one until Back Panther and now again with Da 5 Bloods. Indeed, the comments on Da 5 Bloods remind me a little of the comments around Black Panther.

I won't pretend that I understand what it is like to be a war veteran, but as shown in many films, it can a complicated mess. Add on top of the complications of fighting for a country you know hates you for no reason. The enemy knows this too and uses it as a propaganda tool you have to deal with along with the other psychological issues only a war veteran who has been in battle will truly understand.

Thinking about most of what I just said, is that really sub-text? It seemed pretty clear to me. But maybe the experience of the Vietnam war told from a completely different viewpoint along with some deliberately amateurish camera techniques could be alienating for some.

I wanted to like Da 5 Bloods for all the reasons you mention but it turned out such a colossal mess, and such a disappointment after Spike's excellent Blackkklansman. I just couldn't get invested in it. I think The Dead Presidents did a better job expressing the black Vietnam experience, but then I wasn't there, man.

I wanted to like Da 5 Bloods for all the reasons you mention but it turned out such a colossal mess, and such a disappointment after Spike's excellent Blackkklansman. I just couldn't get invested in it. I think The Dead Presidents did a better job expressing the black Vietnam experience, but then I wasn't there, man.
It's not as if I went into this film with high hopes. I thought it would just be an art house piece but nothing special. So I was pleasantly surprised with coherent and emotional story I witnessed. Maybe there is sub-text I'm getting? But unlike Black Panther this seems pretty surface to me so I maybe missing something about the shared experience Spike is able to make me feel. I'm used to watching crappy movies and accepting them. This just didn't feel like that to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Da 5 bloods was pretty rubbish, no real redeeming features.

Parasite was very enjoyable and a good film but I still don't think it's some work of genius (no matter how many times people insist it is)

Let Him Go was a very good watch. A slow burner but with great performances and atmosphere. Only let down by the fact that the plot was very unoriginal.

So glad i read your comment ref Parasite, i thought i was being delusional or missed something! i really didn't like it or at least didn't see the hype at all. I thought it tried to be so many things but failed on them all. an average film for me .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom