The way back
Sorry we missed you
Saint Frances
The invisible man
The Gentlemen

Honourable mentions;
The rental
The devil all of the time

Color Out of Space tops my favorites for 2020. We saw about 300 movies this year and it owns the top tier, not even close. My favorite film experience, though, was re-watching the 50s version of The Swiss Family Robinson, the first movie I went to the theater to see as a child by myself.

I've seen roughly half of those on the list and didn't particularly rate any of them. What do I know...

Color Out of Space was my film of the year, same as the chap above. Far from a masterpiece, but it was distinctive and frequently creepy.

Unhinged and The Invisible Man were the two worst in my opinion. I'd probably throw Tenet in there too, but that's purely because I'm just so tired of the Nolan sycophancy.

...& I'd rather sit in a used litter tray watching Cats on repeat than sit through I'm Thinking of Ending Things again...

Wouldn’t have Tenet, would have Babyteeth though which is the movie that had the most impact on me this year.
Let him go is a fine movie and I’d also have 1917 but that seems like a long time ago now. Surprised Parasite is on there, watched it in a plane 15 months ago, that’s what happens when release dates are all over the place.

First of all: That's a very cool list of movies and it inspired me to watch "Parasite" and "The devil all the time" as soon as possible.
Before i saw the trailer of Parasite, i thought it was a remake of the Anime known Parasite but it isn't (and that's good.). Idk but the trailer captivated me so i have to watch it. Has anybody other recommendations for new films with a plot twists in it or thrillers ? Thank you in advance :)

I'd honestly struggle to find 10 films I really liked for 2020.

I loved Parasite (as did most people), Invisible Man surprised me (in a good way), Colour Out of Space disappointed me massively - big Lovecraft fan but the worst casting in the history of bad casting.
Lovecraft is all about slow, subtle horror and Nic Cage is the least subtle man on the planet :p

As much as it pains me to say it, it didn't disappoint me quite as much as Bill and Ted Face the Music.

At 1 hour 59 minutes, I thought 1917 was about 1 hour and 58 minutes too long.
A technical masterpiece to be sure but oh so dull.

The Gentlemen was pretty entertaining, over the top and fun.

Honourable mentions for Freaky, a great twist on body swap comedies, and Sputnik.

I'd honestly struggle to find 10 films I really liked for 2020.

I loved Parasite (as did most people), Invisible Man surprised me (in a good way), Colour Out of Space disappointed me massively - big Lovecraft fan but the worst casting in the history of bad casting.
Lovecraft is all about slow, subtle horror and Nic Cage is the least subtle man on the planet :p

As much as it pains me to say it, it didn't disappoint me quite as much as Bill and Ted Face the Music.

The Gentlemen was pretty entertaining, over the top and fun.

Honourable mentions for Freaky, a great twist on body swap comedies, and Sputnik.
All good and correct opinions

A pretty dreary year for films for the most part. Thankfully the TV shows were less depressing.

Next year should be a bit better for films as a lot of movies got postponed for release until 2021.

In no order whatsoever, mines are:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Parasite
Uncut Gems
Saint Maud
His House
The Vast of Night
The Invisible Man
Relic
Lynne + Lucy
Small Axe: Mangrove

I really liked Onward, Uncut Gems, Parasite and The Gentlemen.

Tenet was a mess, at times excellent and at times awful.

Invisible Man and Da 5 Bloods were poor.

Roll on next year :)

The way back
Extraction
Greenland
They are top of my list. Especially The way back is a treat if you watch with a good projector. I liked Greenland that I watched recently and was a good movie and would recommend it

Many of the best films released in the UK in 2020 (Parasite,The Lighthouse, Vivarium) I saw at the cinema in 2019.
My favourite for 2020 was undoubtedly NOMADLAND which I saw in October, followed by Kelly Reichardt’s FIRST COW (US Blu-ray import). Loved POSSESSOR at the cinema, as well as SAINT MAUD, Relic (on Blu) HIS HOUSE (cinema) and HONEYDEW (Frightfest online).

I've still to see some (looking forward to Mank). But my favourite this year (so far) is Uncut Gems.

Will try and put together some sort of list tomorrow ! Not sure I’ll be able to scrape 10 titles though.

One movie I’d definitely add to my top 10 is The Vast of Night that you can find on Amazon Prime. First time director who received a ton of plaudits for his take on something akin to the twilight zone. Set in small town 1950’s America spanning one evening and the paranoia induced by hearing potential noises from UFO’s. A great debut from a director who’ll no doubt be going places.

One movie I’d definitely add to my top 10 is The Vast of Night that you can find on Amazon Prime. First time director who received a ton of plaudits for his take on something akin to the twilight zone. Set in small town 1950’s America spanning one evening and the paranoia induced by hearing potential noises from UFO’s. A great debut from a director who’ll no doubt be going places.
Agreed, it was a great, engaging Movie. Shows you don't have to spend Millions on special effects to produce a creepy feal.

Just a polite heads up for those considering watching The Vast of Night. You’ll need to prefer style over substance (I like that sometimes in a film) and also possess a very high tolerance for ceaseless mumbled/unintelligible dialogue (I was beaten into submission in under 30 minutes).

Last edited:
Just a polite heads up for those considering watching The Vast of Night. You’ll need to prefer style over substance (I like that sometimes in a film) and also possess a very high tolerance for ceaseless mumbled/unintelligible dialogue (I was beaten into submission in under 30 minutes).
Subtitles my friend, been using them ever since the Dark Knight Rises. It doesn’t help that my hearing isn’t great in one ear anyway but find they do help me concentrate on a film in these days of distraction.

but they forgot
jumping in a river does not advance the earths clock from middle of the night to over 1 hour after sun up

Thanks just what is needed with Lockdown and Tier 5 around the corner...

Is there any way to know which service they are available from, can't see it in the write up... Netflix/Prime/Sky etc

Or are these mostly Cinema only?

Added. Mostly Netflix, and all but a couple are available from some streaming provider or another.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom