The Top 10 Best Movies of 2020 & Comments

Great list! Thank you... I'll definitely try to check out some more of these.

I agree. I too think 'LET HIM GO' was the best film I've seen this year (and for quite some time).
A truly mesmerising film with an edge of the seat finale.

DIANE LANE should definitely be in with an Oscar chance come awards season for her lead role in it. If you still get a chance to see it... do so, it's sooooo much more than it sounds!

Thanks Tom. This definitely helps me plan some future viewing, lest I forget some Gems. Glad to see Uncut Gems & The Lighthouse getting honourable mentions

My top ten of this weird year, no particular order:

1. The Invisible Man
2. Let Him Go
3. The Decline
4. The Platform
5. Mother (Korean)
6. The Chambermaid
7. Beanpole
8. Extraction
9. The Devil All The Time
10. The Way Back

Surprised that Pixar's Soul didn't make that top 10.

the only one of those i have seen or started watching was the Da 5 Bloods and that was such an amateurish mess i gave up half way...not a patch on Lee's earlier works........really what passes for good films these days is very poor.
sadly Soul which i watched the other day is the only original film i can think of recently that was enjoyable

Surprised that Pixar's Soul didn't make that top 10.

The list was put together long before Soul came out, as it is Let Him Go barely made it in. I think the plan was to have it done before Christmas, and Soul came out Christmas Day. Agree though, it likely would have been a strong contender.

Tough gig this year, not many to choose from, so I suppose the selection is easier than usual!!

I thought Da 5 bloods was pretty rubbish, no real redeeming features.

Parasite was very enjoyable and a good film but I still don't think it's some work of genius (no matter how many times people insist it is)

Let Him Go was a very good watch. A slow burner but with great performances and atmosphere. Only let down by the fact that the plot was very unoriginal.

Interesting list Tom. Working on my own 2020 thread too, just a couple more stragglers I want to check out (Possessor, Vivarium) but in the meanwhile here's my loose top 10:

1609244324822.png

My top ten of this weird year, no particular order:

1. The Invisible Man
2. Let Him Go
3. The Decline
4. The Platform
5. Mother (Korean)
6. The Chambermaid
7. Beanpole
8. Extraction
9. The Devil All The Time
10. The Way Back

Japanese :)

Some controversial choices overlooked for me there Tom, but nice write up nevertheless :thumbsup:

In a strange way I'm finding it tougher with less films to choose from this year. For sure I'd have Uncut Gems in the 10, The Lighthouse I think too. Also think I'd go with Lucas and The Gentleman as well.

I'm not even sure Tenet would breach the top 20 for me. The Invisible Man definitely wouldn't make the 20, I thought it was bloody dreadful.

But as always it's nice seeing differing opinions.

I'm not even sure Tenet would breach the top 20 for me.
It was a toss up for an honourable mention but, as a personal thing, the cinema experience (to be a bit of a snobby d-bag about it) has always been really important to me and it was just about the only movie this year where I was able to get it. Setting aside it's numerous numerous faults, I really appreciated the experience it delivered.

The Invisible Man....I must have watched a completely different film, as the one I saw at the cinema was bloody terrible, a truly painful watch, dull, boring, nothing to ever consider it even remotely entertaining let alone top 10 of the year.

Soul would be in there for me, Extraction, Underwater, Tenet took me a couple of watches, Bill & Ted while a cash grab I did enjoy the memories it brought back lol.

It was a toss up for an honourable mention but, as a personal thing, the cinema experience (to be a bit of a shabby d-bag about it) has always been really important to me and it was just about the only movie this year where I was able to get it. Setting aside it's numerous numerous faults, I really appreciated the experience it delivered.

Good shout. It is one of the few I've seen at the cinema this year, and for pushing boundaries it certainly deserves some brownie points.

As I type this though I'm actually looking at the Bluray to the side of me and I haven't even taken it out the wrapping yet. Normally I'm chomping at the bit, but just not sure I can be bothered jumping in again. Although I know I need to.

Couple of others I would recommend:

Hillbilly Elegy
The Trial of the Chicago 7
The Hunt
The King Of Staten Island
Underwater
Mank
#Alive
Cadaver
Mortal

Personally, I think it's been a poor year for movies, TV series have taken over the mantle.

Nothing on the level of Parasite, Uncut Gems and Joker from 2019!

Last edited:
Obviously it's purely subjective - hard to disagree with the selections, with the exception of Da 5 Bloods which I thought was utter dross.
Probably best to remember Chadwick Boseman in the excellent Ma Rainey's Black Bottom than one of Spike Lee's off days.

Soul would be in there for me, Extraction, Underwater, Tenet took me a couple of watches, Bill & Ted while a cash grab I did enjoy the memories it brought back lol.

i forgot that Extraction was this year! i really enjoyed that , great old fashioned actioner

Pretty sure we could title this article "2020, was a pretty bad year for films... here's the top ten of a pretty bad bunch".

I watched Parasite the other night and am probably the only person alive that thought it was merely "good". Maybe I was expecting too much as it was high up in most lists.

I guess the year it is makes it a rough year, not loads to choose from. Must say I really enjoyed JoJo rabbit but not sure if that was 2019 or 2020

Interesting list Tom. Working on my own 2020 thread too, just a couple more stragglers I want to check out (Possessor, Vivarium) but in the meanwhile here's my loose top 10:

View attachment 1431365

Nice to see The Gentleman on that list , unfortunately the cinema I watch it at almost ruined the experience for myself as the PQ was an utter disgrace, fortunately the UHD BD is tip top.

Devil all the Time was a big highlight of the year for myself but Let Him Go pushes it pretty close. On the action side I really enjoyed Extraction but the biggest disappointment for me was Tenet. The Gentlemen was a return to form from Guy Ritchie .

Honorable mentions for another couple I watched this year go to Colour of Space and Ready or Not that both surprised me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom