The Top 10 Best Games of 2018 (Q1) & Comments

Add to that Far Cry 5 and God Of War ;)

Yeah Far Cry 5 should definitely be in there...

...but NOT God of War, but only because, as the Title of the thread suggests, it wasn't released in Q1 of 2018.... i'm sure it'll be the top of the list come Q2 2018! ;)

...but NOT God of War, but only because, as the Title of the thread suggests, it wasn't released in Q1 of 2018.... i'm sure it'll be the top of the list come Q2 2018! ;)
Fussy bugger! :D ;)

Far Cry 5 was one of the top 10 games of Q1 in my opinion - maybe let down by the 'Arcade' section but the main game was a lot of fun.

I do agree that God of War is not eligible as its a Q2 release - It should certainly be in the top 10 next quarter and likely to be in the top 10 of the year. I don't think its 10/10 as a lot of reviewers are saying - its not 'perfect' but is excellent (although I am only 20-25hrs in s far) and with RDR2 coming in Oct, may not be the Game of the Year either.

Fussy bugger! :D ;)

I can't wait to play GoW, it looks amazing and though i've tried to avoid reviews due to spoilers, I have noticed some excellent scores and headlines coming from the ones I've not been able to avoid.

As soon as i've finished Assassins Creed Origins (an amazing game), i'll be buying GoW...

what about Hellblade Sensua's Sacrifice,just out on Xbox One etc,okay it was already out a while back on Pc/Ps4,seems pretty good,

I think kingdom come deliverance will be like an album that is seen to be influential in the future but not rated at the time. I suspect it never even crossed av forums mind.

Great read, looking forward to the next few editions of this, Q3 & Q4 looks to have some major titles coming out.

FarCry 5
Slay the Spire
Monster Hunter world

I've no doubt God of War will also make the list when I get around to buying and playing it.
God of War now struck off the list after finally playing it. What a beautiful but, repetitive pile of boring crap it is. I was under the impression that GoW had gone open world, like Horizon. Nope, it's still the same old railed, button mashing combo rubbish that it's always been. I lasted about an hour before stopping, just after the monotonously long house caller fight, in fact. I get that some people like this kind of thing but, goodness me - I am genuinely gobsmacked to still be served mindless stuff like this when Atlus, who produced the extraordinary Demons/Dark Souls nearly a decade ago, kicked the genre on.

Maybe I'm getting old and my tolerance levels for mindless combo fights is no longer what it was but, honestly, in the last 12 months, we've seen some stellar titles and I'm astounded that GoW is being lauded as one the greatest games ever.

Last edited:
Is the recent Zelda offering on the Switch not to many people's tastes? Or was it a 2017 release?

Is the recent Zelda offering on the Switch not to many people's tastes? Or was it a 2017 release?

That was last years game and one of the best Q1 releases of 2017

Far Cry 5. Best game I've played since RE7 and Fallout 4.

If you had to choose between Fallout and God of War which would it be?

If you had to choose between Fallout and God of War which would it be?
I'm assuming you mean Fallout 4? I'd choose Fallout 4 because it is immense. God of War (now I've finally played it) is, to put it mildly, a repetitive bore fest.

Apologies to hijack this thread somewhat, but I have a question about 'Fallout 4'.
This game I acquired as part of a recent XBOXOne-X bundle. I haven't actually played any of the previous three nor have I opened it up yet (Still sealed). So my question is.. Do you need to have played the previous 3 to get what's going on? Or can you just jump straight into '4' and enjoy without knowing any prior potential back stories?

Will this game require consuming a lot of my time given I am currently regularly playing FIFA 18 for 1-2 hours every other night & occasionally breaking that up with a bit of ROTTR..??

Thanks

Apologies to hijack this thread somewhat, but I have a question about 'Fallout 4'.
This game I acquired as part of a recent XBOXOne-X bundle. I haven't actually played any of the previous three nor have I opened it up yet (Still sealed). So my question is.. Do you need to have played the previous 3 to get what's going on? Or can you just jump straight into '4' and enjoy without knowing any prior potential back stories?

Will this game require consuming a lot of my time given I am currently regularly playing FIFA 18 for 1-2 hours every other night & occasionally breaking that up with a bit of ROTTR..??

Thanks

Its not important to play the previous games - you start off with creating your own character and its set in a different region too. The only benefits is that you will have more of an understanding of the lore and the situation by playing other Fallout games but its not like some games that 4 follows on from 3 which continued on from 2.

These games are full open world RPG games - like Skyrim for example with a different setting. Like other big RPG games, these can be very time consuming and take 'hundreds' of hours and unlike games like Fifa where you get pretty instant feelings of accomplishment - like beating a level, winning a match etc, these can feel very slow if you only have an hour - barely get started, not open up much of the map (if any).

I'm assuming you mean Fallout 4? I'd choose Fallout 4 because it is immense. God of War (now I've finally played it) is, to put it mildly, a repetitive bore fest.

i felt the exact opposite i found fallout 4 a repetative bore fest

i felt the exact opposite i found fallout 4 a repetative bore fest

I do agree in part. For me, Fallout 4 seemed very much like Fallout 3 with some clunky base-building bolted on. Granted its a bit more colourful and slightly better looking but not as good as other games this gen. It also released months after the Witcher 3 which made it feel more dated.

Its a game that doesn't provide the more instant gratification of linear story games like God of War and a lot of it can be wandering around almost aimlessly looking to stumble upon something of interest. It can also be quite tense and overwhelming at times too. With so much to do, so much freedom, its story can get lost. That being said though, its such a massive game with so many different quests, storylines etc that it can take 100's of hours to see everything the game offers - even then, you may need multiple play throughs to literally see everything, see how different situations can play out etc.

God of War is much more focused but you can 'platinum' the game in 50hrs or so and have seen basically everything the game has to offer. Not saying that is bad and Fallout is good because of that - God of War is a fantastic game and also a significant step up for the franchise in a lot of ways, where as Fallout 4 felt more of the same. You wouldn't compare say Witcher 3 to Uncharted 4 as both are different genres, offer something very different to gamers etc. This is similar so its more down to what the gamer prefers - if you have a preference. Whether you want that more focused and structured format (ok so GoW does give a 'bit' freedom in some areas) or whether you want much more 'freedom' and choice.

Personally, I think GoW is the 'better' game and one of the best games in its genre where as Fallout 4 is 'good' but there are better games in the genre and games that pushed the genre much further. As I alluded to above, God of War isn't as linear as Uncharted and offers more choice and 'character' builds - almost given it an 'open world' action RPG feel and still retaining that focused story that we have come to associate more with linear gaming. I know the recent Tomb Raider reboot also offers something similar too of course.

I liked fallout 3 and new vegas but i didnt like fallout 4 much. the repetitive nature of it constantly re spawning enemy's, endless settlement attacks really got to be a chore.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom