The Tomorrow War (Amazon) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Not sure if it was our signal, but the image broke up a couple times. And the voiceover at
the end of the film sounds horrible and tinny. If that's how it's supposed to be, the studio need to check their quality confrol.

Have seen majorly polarising reviews for this but I trust Cas, plus it ticks all my boxes. Roll on the weekend.

When I saw the trailer the first thing I thought of was a poor man's Edge of Tomorrow.

I'm no fan of Pratt either outside the MCU, but seeing as it gets a 7 and it's easily acquired on Amazon I'll give it a whirl.

Sounds good, so thanks for the review. :thumbsup:

This year we have seem to have had more "worth" out of Prime Video for films than we did for Now - which is why we dropped the latter service a few months ago. Our measure of "value for money" is watching a couple of films and a TV series a month so Amazon just about manages that consistently.

Glad this looks OK, I'd seen many-a-youtube-pundit saying how bad this must be to have been dumped on Amazon with next-to-zero-marketing, plus next-to-release-date review embargos.

Better than expected a 7.5 for md

This year we have seem to have had more "worth" out of Prime Video for films than we did for Now - which is why we dropped the latter service a few months ago. Our measure of "value for money" is watching a couple of films and a TV series a month so Amazon just about manages that consistently.

Amazon still sits above the rest for content imo. And at a cheaper price than the others as well. Plus these 99p deals they do on other channels is a good bargain when you can nab them.

Agree thats why ive dropped netflix for time being as lack of content i'm interested in.

This is right up my street and with last months, suprisingly good, the outpost i'm liking amazons drop at least one new good film each month.

I'll have a break from preacher S2 to watch this.

Hopefully this continues.

Yay! I had just put my Friday evening beers in the fridge and was wondering to watch tonight. Bingo!

Thanks for the review, it sounds enjoyable.

The Tomorrow War (2021)

1625251001689.png

"I hate to agree with conspiracy Santa..."

Based on some very lacklustre trailers, tepid promotional artwork, and it's direct to streaming nature, this had me sharpening my critical knives prior to viewing. I'm unexpectedly happy to report that it's more than worth your time if you're a fan of the genre. Although it never gets much beyond it's premise of Chris Pratt Vs Aliens, it never takes itself too seriously and has more than a bit of fun with it's other obvious cinematic references. There's a whole host titles which have material plundered from them including Stargate, Edge Of Tomorrow, Aliens, Apocalypse Now and (of course) Independence Day. If you're to borrow from elsewhere, that isn't a bad selection to go with. Elements of wishy-washy sci-fi flick Battle : Los Angeles are also present and correct, but fortunately this is streets ahead of the Aaron Eckhart misfire.
The action setpieces are sporadically very impressive, and you can't fault it's ambition as it has very a global feel to the proceedings. The rousing score by Lorne Balfe is a nice addition, and doesn't get lost in the mass of explosions and gunfire.
Director Chris McKay handles himself well given the super generic nature of things, ensuring that it's always anything but dull considering it's 138 minute running time.
The Dolby Atmos track is used to great effect during the more combat heavy moments, and as beasties screech and military hardware flies overhead. ,
Chris Pratt is, well Chris Pratt, but it's a definite step up from his vanilla raptor whisperer Owen Grady, with less wisecracks, and way more badassery. Speaking of which, J.K. Simmons, looking twice his usual size, gets to make his presence felt, despite having limited screen time. He's a joy to watch, and genuinely looking like he could wipe the floor with characters twenty years his junior. Nice to see 24's Mary Lynne Rajskub pop up in a supporting role too.
It's certainly all very silly and is never very taxing on the old grey matter. Any kind of detailed analysis, and it falls apart. One exposition scene at a high school had me chuckling away at it's outrageousness.
I thoroughly enjoyed the first act as the dread builds with characters being conscripted to fight, up against completely unknown factors, with the odds stacked against mankind. The film surprises with a strong second act, and it's sudden shift into different territory with it's third. It all works a treat though, and ;left me smiling as it got suitably (and inevitably) bonkers. There's a particularly glorious death scene for one character that stays in the mind, and makes full use of some heavy cg work. There's also a little world building late on, and I'd happily watch a sequel, but as a standalone adventure, it works to a tee. The title is still lame, but then it's still preferable to the original choice - Ghost Draft.
Make no mistake, this is all far from high art (and has some very unsubtle political messages), but as a big budget action sci-fi, it delivers on spectacle, thrills and I wouldn't have felt short changed from a cinema visit.

7.5/10

Last edited:
Enjoyed it. I think 7/10 is fair.

Just watched this and pleasantly surprised, a 7.5/10 from me

Yup 7 is a fair score for this , it has some major LFE going on in the action scenes . It does though create a slew of a time paradox that is hard for one to push past , or indeed present and future ;) . I tried turning that part of my brain off but could not quite manage to shift it into sit back and forget it .

Last edited:
Yup 7 is a fair score for this , it has some major LFE going on in the action scenes . it does though create a slew of a time paradox that is hard for one to push past , or indeed present and future ;) .
Every Amazon release seems to have excellent LFE

I thought this was a pretty inconsistent 4k image. Loads of shots were distractingly soft...

How many thousands of rounds do those assault rifles fire per clip? 😂

With exactly the same shit muzzle flash effect every time!

The Tomorrow War (2021)

There's a whole host titles which have material plundered from them including Stargate, Edge Of Tomorrow, Aliens, Apocalypse Now and (of course) Independence Day.
Yeah, I was thinking Starship Troopers, Aliens, Edge of Tomorrow in parts, but not nearly as good or memorable as any of them. I think I'm going to be a little harsh and go 6.5/10.

Thought this was decidedly average, wouldn't give this more than a 6/10

The alien design wasn't particularly inspiring and there was nothing that memorable about the whole thing.

Yeah, I was thinking Starship Troopers, Aliens, Edge of Tomorrow in parts, but not nearly as good or memorable as any of them. I think I'm going to be a little harsh and go 6.5/10.
Ha! I forgot Starship Troopers! Pratt could have sure used one of those shoulder mounted nukes.

Perfect review/score 7 from me also.

Enjoyable film nothing original but great to watch on a Friday night, great Dolby Atmos and thumping bass.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom