1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Time Machine 1960 R2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Timh, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I recently had a chance to watch the original Time Machine from 1960. Its been about 20 years since i last watched this Movie, Rod Taylor always looked like this old guy when i saw this film as a child, :eek: he looks pretty young now, he was only 30 when he made this film, me being 38 makes me look like an old guy now :(
    I viewed the Movie on my Panasonic AE100 lcd projector on a 80" widescreen from a Toshiba sd-510 dvd player connected via componant (interlaced for the techies) The film has been reframed to Widescreen 1.85:1 Anamorphic (16:9) and Dolby digital 5.1 sound.
    The picture quality overall was very good for such an old film, just the odd fuzzy scene and scratch on the film, not too grainy, good colour an contrast IMHO, it would probably look mint on a normal TV.
    The sound was also quite dynamic for such an old film, even some good base on occasion.
    Anyone over 30 should know this film quite well it had many showings in the 70's and 80's, not so much now:(
    It was only let down by some really poor speciel effects, well, painted backdrops really.
    There is a 48 minute feature starring Rod Taylor filmed in the early 90's, he comes across as being very excited at being connected to this 60's classic, it even contains a new scene he filmed with Filby where George returns as an old man to stop his friend from going to war, as he gets killed.

Quote from play
    Here today, gone to tomorrow. When George (Rod Taylor) sits at the controls of his new creation, he has all the time in the world. He's invented a Time Machine that whisks him from 1899 to war ravaged moments of the 20th century and into 802701. In that far-off era, passive Eloi face a grim future as prey to the glowing subterranean Morlocks...unless the time-traveling stranger from the past intervenes.

Well... thats my first attemp at a review, i tried to keep it simple.

p.s Even my 11 year old Son enjoyed it, I wonder if I could say that when we have watched the remake?

Film 4/5
    Picture 4/5
    Sound 3/5

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    Thanks for that Timh, I think I will put it on my list of DVD’s to get. It is one of my favourite films, and I like Rod Taylor he always seem to give a likeable performance.:) I remember when he was more popular with the Time Machine, The Mercenaries (a.k.a., Dark Of The Sun), Nobody Runs Forever and the TV series The Bearcats.
    Timh by re-framing do you mean the top and bottom have been cropped?

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Garrett

Its been formatted to fit a 16:9 screen, so yes the image has been cropped.
    You can get the r1 version for £12 from play or a special addition r1 for £42 from here
    You should find the extra features quite interesting it follows the search for the original chair, and then its restoration.
    I used to think Rod Taylor was the ranger in Skippy, but it was Ed Devereaux, a slight resemblance.

jrwood

I was going to order the new version, but its been slagged off that much i have decided to rent it instead.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    Timh

Well he is Australian, but I think he only appeared in one Australian production, which was Long John Silver, the TV series (with Robert Newton). But he did appear as an Australian in Nobody Runs Forever as Scobie Malone.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Garratt

Do you know if Rod Taylor is in the remake? There is usually a cameo in remakes.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    No I do not think so, can’t understand why I’m sure he would if possible. But I can inform you Alan Young does have a part in it, he was Filby in the original (he was born in England).

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    By the cringe, Timh I have just been for a look at the SE it looks nice but £30 extra!

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    Hi Timh I saw the new one last night, and I’m in the process of doing a review of the film, to add below, the film is not as good as the original, neither is my review compared to yours so far.

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Garrett

I look forward to your review, I hope didn't go and buy it before buying the original ;)

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    Review of the latest The Time Machine DVD.

I was lent as copy of this DVD for the night, as for the reviews I had heard it was not up to much. Also I viewed it with some prejudice having been a fan of the original.

The story was loosely based on the HG Wells novel (the original George Pal film far more close).
    I found the acting emotionless the main actor hardly showed any emotion throughout the proceedings ((good grief this was the guy who was absolutely brilliant as Ed Exley (Guy Pearce[​IMG]) in LA Confidential he also looked somewhat dawn)), the best performance came from the girl getting on her pushbike all 30 seconds, (bests looking as well:) ), and in best part of the film. The reason for Alexander (the main character) to build the machine, and execution could have been a lot better. Both my mate and I was guessing correctly from second to second what was going to happen next, at this part of the film.
    The part of the film where the journey into the future was the most enjoyable part of the film with some good special effects. The rest I wished I had a time machine that I could have gone in to the future to the end of the DVD.
    I the future I thought the Eloi were less than the meek willing apathetical fodder for the Morlocks than the original. The Morlocks looked very mechanical.
    If you have seen neither of the films and are thinking of buying one read Timh’s review above. The one he saw will be the one I will be buying, it has a charm, and I felt more for the characters than the remake and Rod Taylor was simply brilliant in it; I will also have to read the book again (word of warning, an other author did a sequel to the original, once again I wish they had left things alone).:(
    For spotters who have seen the original, look out for Alan Young (Filby in the original) as the Flower seller in the shop, he is in for about 10 seconds.
    The film was in DTS and 2.35:1 anamorphic.
    In all I would try, and view before buying, it a shame there seemed so much going for it, but most of it never came off.

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Garrett

Thanks for the review, sounds like it might be worth renting just for the girl getting on her push bike :D
    It sounds like Guy Pearce should have stook to Neighbours ;)
    How come the main charactor was called Alexander and not George?

P.S I spotted the game Thief for the pc for £3 at a car boot, should I have bought it?
    I ended up getting Emperor Battle for Dune for £5 for my Son.

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    Hi Timh

There was a lot I wanted to go back and take a look at the DVD again, but I had to hand it back in the following morning, there was a point in the film when, Alexander was in the near future, where he visits a museum and he talks to a hologram and he is talking to it about time travel and he mentions 4 authors on the subject Alexander, HG Wells and two others (wanted to go back but forgot). George in the first film was from the G in HG Wells. (But I suppose you knew that).
    Everyone was on about Samantha Mumba but both my mate and I did not think she was that brilliant.

Thief can now be bought for £4.99 new or in a 3 for £9.99 in some shops including Game. How old is your son, the game is rated 15. There is a Thief Gold which is hard to get hold of (3 extra levels, available in short supply at Amazon £14.99). The game is my favourite.
    Just thought you could get Thief, Thief II and an other game for £9.99 wow what a bargain.:eek:
    For a review try. http://www.pcgamer.co.uk/games/gamefile_review_page.asp?item_id=1252

13. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :eek: what a bargain, I will have a look next time I go down Town.
    My Son is age 11, quite an old age 11 ;) Thief was for me :)

Cheers

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    Hi Timh
    I was in game today and they had tons of Both Thief (The Dark Project) and Thief II (The Metal Age). They seem to be in and out of stock at all times so do not get panicking if the have nether in when you go shopping, the more than likely be back in stock soon.
    I was reading a review of Thief II in PCW only today and the said it was reprehensible to miss it the first time but at a fiver a crime the second time. Reviews at http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/apr00/thief2.html and http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=thief2
    If you are stuck for the third game (that’s if you fancy both Thief games) Heroes III of Might and Magic is not a bad fantasy turn bases strategy game, it won’t put much demand on the graphic card. I had a mate over at Christmas and let him borrow the game, a big mistake I hardly ever saw him he was playing it till 3 and 4 in the morning some days and one day he played it for 24 hours.

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :eek: :eek: he needs help!
    hopefully I will be popping into Town this weekend, I will take a look in Game.

Cheers

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    Hi Timh

Guess what I bought today?
    I got it from HMV for £9.99:D :D I hope to be watching it tonight.:)

Oh and the four persons mentioned (in the second Time Machine film) with time travel, one was Alexander himself.

17. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    What a Bargain :D
    Spooky your posts match the year, i bet that never happens again.
    Unless ;)

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    Just seen a big chunk of the Time Machine documentary, I liked the little bit they did in the reunion. Did you know Whit Bissell died in 1996, he was looking frail in the documentry, he must be one of those that never where a star but was constantly in demand.
    Yes the spooky guy deleted some of my post so it’s the second time here. How are you didaling with that thing that is better answered about in the video game section.

19. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Garrett

I haven't been on it much this week :( I am a bit stuck in the prison's in the mine. I will keep trying though.

I will be watching Grease tonight.
    Dum de dum de dum de dum [​IMG]

20. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    I watched 1960s The Time Machine last night and found the restoration of it very good, the whites were dazzling and the blacks were coal hole. Un-like Timh I watched it on a 32inch set rather than with a projecter, and having watch the film numerous times on TV and noted how dirty the prints were, but this was clean s a whistle. The only bad part in the quality was near the end of the film where George is making his way back to the sphinx there is a great big black vertical mark in the sky. I also notice the painted back drops especially in the caves.
    I must say though I enjoyed every second of this film.

21. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I think you need a projector ;) 80" width does it for me :)
    Just think, get yourself an infered mouse and keyboard and Thief would never look the same again :D

22. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :eek: your post count is down again :eek:

23. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Garrett

I have just finished watching the new version of Time Machine.
    I can see where you were coming from regarding Guy's acting, especially before he time travelled :eek: My Mrs thought he looked like a monkey in it.
    Overall I found the film watchable but not buyable, it was ok and not as bad as I expected, content I only rented it.
    Oh and yes, the best scene was the girl getting on her future bike ;) not sure about her bike lock though, I bet Garrett could get past that one :D

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    :D Both my mate and I said at the same time, get in there.

Did you spot Alan Young?

My mate said the main female reminded him a bit of a monkey (meant the like from the planet of the apes).

25. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yes, I know what you mean. :D

No I missed Allan Young, he was in the flower shop but I forgot to check him out.