1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The time is nigh

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by breakdown, May 26, 2005.

1. breakdown

breakdown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the next week or 2 I will be purchasing a phillips 32pf9986 for somewhere around the £1800 range. The question I have is is there anything anyone can say that would disuade me from purchasing this screen? Also, if there are any other screens out there (must be 32") that offer similar levels of performance for less money then don't be shy please let me know.

I have been viewing these forums for a while now and the phillips would appear to be one of the best screens about at the moment.

thanking you in advance for your help.

2. Plamff

Plamff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ........and I'm holding on, I want to be your no.1..... :D

3. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've been holding on for so long, why not hold it off a little longer and wait for the Philips 32pf9830 to be released? :thumbsup:

This is going to be Philips' flagship model, and it's due out in July. Just do a search on this forum for this model and you'll see why. Price is going to drop very quickly, will start at £2000-£2200 and will probably settle around £1600 mark.

Since it will be directly replacing the 9986, the 9986 would probably drop in price just before and after the 9830 is released. So if you decide to go for the 9986 at that point, it will probably be cheaper.

Having said that, you'd probably find that stocks of the 9986 around that time will probably dry up pretty quickly.

Ben

4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,395
    And iy you insist on getting the 9986. And have an egg card, you'll pick it up for around £1525 at Curry's (online) if you purchase ON Bank Holiday monday. With said credit card of course. :thumbsup:

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are a couple or three of the Forum members who are thinking of changing their 9986's for 9830's. I reckon you could pick up a nicely run in one for £1400 if you just asked....

Jimmy

6. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,395
    I'm still waiting to buy my new tv :(

Still trying to find somewhere else to live first.

Got to admit though, if someone was crazy enough to part with one for £500 i'd be very tempted ;)

7. CosmoKramer79

CosmoKramer79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone would part with their 9986 for 500quid, they really should be hospitalized as soon as possible... For their own sake!!!

8. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    There are a plethora of new models hitting the market in the next few weeks, including the 500 series from Panasonic which will be HD Ready - that is the model I am waiting to audition. In fact I am going to have a home trial of both the LCD and the Viera Plasma as well, which proves I have a completely open mind - some may say vacant.

9. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Open to Panasonic only I see :smashin:

Ben

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    No not really, but I have looked at just about every model going, however, I knew these particular models were due out and I been waiting to audition them for some time. I will either add them to my wish list or delete them, surely that's what research is all about?

11. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Faust....when is all of this happening? I am interested in your results especially as you are yet to be won over by flat panel tv's!!

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Not until around August as I have some motoring in France to do first. It's not that I need to be won over to flat panel t.v. as I do like them, aesthetically at least, what I cannot get used to is all the digital processing, smearing etc. I know that broadcasters share some of the blame for this, however, it is the viewer that has to pay the price.

13. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I have similar concerns that prevent me at the moment to jumping in, I am currently waiting to judge all of the new models out around August, with the Panasonic being the one I am most keen to see.