The Third man (Carol Reed - 1945) - NEW 4K Restoration coming to UK Blu-ray Disc 20th July

Probably top of my top ten. Pained me to sell the criterion but the Italian edition was a worthy replacement. Very very excited by this though. Hope they do it justice.

So happy about this one of all time favourite films which still pains me for missing that Criterion release but hey all good things and all that.

Roll on the summer.

Interesting!

Anyone want the Criterion release for a mere £90? :D

Interesting!

Anyone want the Criterion release for a mere £90? :D
You haven't noticed I liberated it from your collection yet?

Great news! Never bothered getting the Studio Canal version as the picture quality didn't look up to scratch but at 4K, this can't go wrong.

Great news! Never bothered getting the Studio Canal version as the picture quality didn't look up to scratch but at 4K, this can't go wrong.

Oh yes it can!

But I hope, and suspect, it won't.

To be frank, even if it's only 'as good' as the Criterion, that'll be great for people who don't want to shell out a fortune for one of those, and don't want the Italian option.

Steve W

I can see one member with a titled fruit name getting this.

Yep, Mr. Strawberry. He loves this film.
I was thinking more of the Kings Peach.

For those that don't know its really member called Mr Lime.

Did someone call? :)
Too late its out of stock:laugh:
But as recompense a series that made Harry a hero even Dr Smith and even The Master in it.

Hmmm.

I have decided to wait for a remake. They are always so much better, what with the lovely colours and everything. :)

Review:

http://www.filmwerk.co.uk/2015/07/03/the-third-man-4k-review/

Of note:

"But what makes this edition stand out is the 4K remaster.

Having seen the previous disc release of The Third Man we had something to compare to, and it is simply shocking how long the film has gone without a patch job. The film has been cured of cracks, cuts, dirt and anything else that didn’t belong on the film in the first place. This new restoration is covered in detail on one of the extras. And it is made clear that the primary focus was on cleaning the image. It is also made as clear that the restoration job was not focusing on any of the grain that may bother some more modern users looking for the sharpest image possible with the smoothest surfaces."

Steve W

This chap thinks it look strange:

"If a theater advertises a 2K restoration of a film, don’t bother; you could get the same quality watching a DVD on a computer screen."

Really?

Steve W
And he can't spell 'theatre' correctly

Yeah, he's taking the piss. Probably just doing a little bit of trolling. Can't wait to get this.

TuJw8qH.jpg

image: @theraygun

Had a look at this today -beautifully finished box set for sure. Got it for £19 via Flubit. If you were building your house out of Blu-ray boxset cardboard slip cases these are the ones you'd want.

The picture quality is eye popping they've done an amazing job.

The Blu-ray plays in a US setup so it's not locked B. They have fudgeed up though with some of the extras as they are PAL or something else that an NTSC setup would struggle with.

Noticed the the lack of liner notes for the people who put the package together.

Such a beautiful film.

Any rumour of LionsGate remaking it with Nic Cage™ and Liam's Nissan have been denied.

I'm just watching this film, which I have recorded from broadcast TV recently.

I'd love a Blu Ray of this. The cinematography is incredible.

Was this filmed before the invention of the spirit level? ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom