The Third Day (HBO/Sky Atlantic) September 14, 2020 / September 15, 2020 (Sky Atlantic)

mafaa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jude Law Set to Star in HBO/Sky Drama 'The Third Day'

Jude Law is set to star in HBO and Sky's six-part limited series The Third Day.

Set on a mysterious island off the coast of Britain, The Third Day tells the story of Sam (Law) who encounters the island's secretive inhabitants and their strange rituals. Fantasy and reality began to blur for Sam, triggering past traumas, and brings him into conflict with the islanders

The Third Day will shoot in the U.K. in July and will air next year on Sky Atlantic in Europe and HBO in North America

Last edited:
The writer/director/composer team behind Utopia (currently rewatching having purchased the German Blu-Ray double pack).

I'm all in.

The series will tell three, stand-alone but interconnected stories. Two of them will form part of the show’s six-episode run, while the third will take place in the UK as an innovative live event.

The first part is “Summer,” written by Dennis Kelly and directed by Marc Munden. Told over three episodes, “Summer” follows the story of Sam (Law), a man who is drawn to a mysterious Island off the British coast where he encounters a group of islanders set on preserving their traditions at any cost.

Following “Summer,” viewers will get the chance to become part of The Third Day world at a major immersive theatre event. Created by Punchdrunk and directed by Felix Barrett, audiences will inhabit the story as it happens, live. Places will be limited, so audiences will also be able to follow the events online.

The Third Day concludes with “Winter”: told over a further three episodes. Written by Kit de Waal, Dean O’Loughlin and Dennis Kelly and directed by Philippa Lowthorpe, it follows Helen (Harris), a strong-willed outsider who comes to the island seeking answers, but whose arrival precipitates a fractious battle to decide its fate

The Third Day tells three, stand-alone but interconnected stories, not only on screen but also in a live, immersive event. The first story, titled Summer, tells the story of Sam, a man who is drawn to a mysterious Island off the British coast where he encounters a group of islanders set on preserving their traditions at any cost. Following Summer, viewers will get the chance to become part of The Third Day world at a major immersive theatre event.

The final story, titled Winter, follows Helen, a strong-willed outsider who comes to the island seeking answers, but whose arrival precipitates a fractious battle to decide its fate. Both Summer and Winter will consist of three episodes. Each story can be experienced separately, with Summer and Winter working together as a complete series – but all three parts together describe a larger narrative, creating a unique experience for those who seek it. The Third Day is produced by Sky Studios in association with HBO, Plan B and Punchdrunk and stars Jude Law and Naomie Harris. The scripts are being penned by Dennis Kelly, Kit de Waal and Dean O’Loughlin. Marc Munden and Philippa Lowthorpe are directing.

thethirdday1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Watched this on sky last night...loved it!
really intriguing story, was getting midsomar vibes, a lot, mysterious & very gripping.
jude law was very good too.
I’m not sure how this is working though in terms of episodes, is it 3 eps or ??? I know there’s supposed to be a live episode or something?

1st part - (3 episodes) completed, enjoyable :laugh:

suspected Jess, she extremely at ease with the people & the place

Last edited:

From 9.30am, Saturday 3rd October , Sky Arts will be showing a 12-hour ‘live episode’

Following three episodes of ‘Summer’, viewers will be immersed in the world of The Third Day through a theatrical live event

‘Autumn’ – to be broadcast as live on Sky Arts and online.

Featuring members of The Third Day cast – including Jude Law and Katherine Waterstone – viewers will follow the events of a single day in a cinematic broadcast that invites viewers deeper into world of The Third Day

The episode is created by theatrical innovators Punchdrunk and co- directed by founder and artistic director of Punchdrunk Felix Barrett and Marc Munden.

What is Punchdrunk?

An immersive theatre company, Punchdrunk has been creating innovative experiences since 2000.

The company creates environments where the audience is free to choose what to watch and where to go.

On its website, it says: “We fuse theatre, film, TV, art and gaming into atmospheric experiences that defy categorisation, and which leave intriguing spaces for audiences to explore.

“In the world of Punchdrunk, you get to decide what to experience, and what to carry home as an enduring memory…”

Do I need to watch 12 hours worth? :eek:

I was just about to start Ep. 1 later and been looking forward to it, but I can't be doing with 12 hours of a live show as well. Which is basically another 12 episodes.

^
Jude Law's story was finished by the end of episode 3 so you will be ok with the first 3 episodes for that season, this Autumn episode is more like experimental tv by the looks of it, I will keep coming back and catch glimpses of this during the day and see what happens in the last hour most probably, it's all extremely weird at the minute.

Last edited:
I tell you though that Jude Law is a hell of a grafter he been digging a hole while it's been pissing down for the last 30 mins, and he's still at it committed or what.
Well, we knew that, after his breath holding in Pope's titles.
Aw, shucks. What a guy,

I've been watching some of the live show today, bits over a few hours... you'd need a pretty big bag of weed to get through 12 hours of this. It's perfect lockdown TV for anyone that hasn't been out and about much over the last 6 months, though. It's a bit like the old Big Brother live feed from yesteryear but with a bit more of, what looked like, trying to drown dudes in mud

Winter
After that crazy live weekender things are back to a bit of normality if you can call it that, a new family a new season and a new set of bizarre events are happening on the island, and once again I'm left gobsmacked on just how brilliant this series is.

So is there anything on Sky/NowTV relating to that live episode? Like highlights or anything? Do we need to be aware of it for the new episode?

I'm a bit perplexed by all this to be honest :laugh: Gonna box off The Comey Rule and then have a look at this anyway.

^
@richp007
Honestly mate I wouldn't worry about the live event I only caught glimpses of it and the last 20 mins it's not affected my viewing of the latest episode at all, if I was you I'd watch the first 3 episodes then just flick through the last hour of the live show on youtube then carry on from there.

The episodes so far have been (IMO) the best TV I have seen in eons. Great plot, some fantastic shallow DOF photography, and that 12 hour live event was totally mesmerising. Jude Law deserves a Bafta at the very least for his performance, but the whole cast during the live event was an absolute triumph. Some of the sequences were really dangerous, and had me on the edge of my seat, watching it live. Am still trying to figure out how it was filmed. Some must have been on a steadycam, but not all. This really ought to be on a 4K disc, at some point. It's that good.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom