The thing - special collectors edition

So where do us Brits buy this? I've only bought Scream/Shout discs from DVDWorlsUSA before. They seem to have done one.

So where do us Brits buy this? I've only bought Scream/Shout discs from DVDWorlsUSA before. They seem to have done one.
I get my Scream Factory releases from WowHD. Always cheaper than Amazon market place and free P&P.

Shocked this isn't getting a 4K scan, given how great and popular the film is, I would say it deserves it.

I'm holding fire on this one. I don't trust Shout to be honest and I suspect there will be more releases of The Thing following this. And we have no idea what the transfer will actually be like - I anticipate a lot of forumming angst up ahead!

It's usually Shout's encoding that lets the side down. As much as I like the film I can't see myself investing a decent MR player for one title. I'm sceptical that it'll be that much better than the HD DVD with a 2K scan anyway. I suppose it may be closer to the original vision etc with the DP's involvement, but even then that's no guarantee. Don't really much for extras.

I've double dipped on films I wasn't as fond of as this, so even the smallest possibility of some extra HD loveliness make it worth a punt for me.

I will double dip for good extras so can't wait for this. Hope it turns out to be a good disc. Will check out wowHD too as usually use Amazon.

I always thought that the HD dvd version always looked better then the Blu-ray!

I get my Scream Factory releases from WowHD. Always cheaper than Amazon market place and free P&P.
Great Thanks. I see SF give a release date of 20th Sept. Will this also be the Wow/Amazon release date? Any ideas on pre-order dates?

I always thought that the HD dvd version always looked better then the Blu-ray!

It does because they went and applied DNR to the BD same goes for several other Universal titles that appeared on BD after the death of HD-DVD.

Great Thanks. I see SF give a release date of 20th Sept. Will this also be the Wow/Amazon release date? Any ideas on pre-order dates?

Scream Factory are good/annoying in that if you order from them direct, you will get it two weeks early (which could be the 20th). Sadly for us not in the US the don't deliver outside of North America. Just need to keep our fingers crossed that we don't need to wait too long.

Bummer the Special Edition has sold out! Can't wait to see that Dean Cundey approved print, love his work.

I've got so many editions of this movie and I want this too.

I wish some one would do an extra that we all really want and that's a full interview with Rob Bottin?

Just seen that my steelbook version of this movie is going for silly money on Amazon US.

I've got so many editions of this movie and I want this too.

I wish some one would do an extra that we all really want and that's a full interview with Rob Bottin?
As long as its about his effects work and not real estate, which is what he does now.
Just wish he would acknowledge how many of us love his incredible work.

Got the steelbook & the HD-dvd,just wondering if they will use the same master tape :)
I'm quite intrigued by the remastered 4.1 sound.
Shame the Deluxe version is sold out. I would've loved a copy.

Maybe Arrow one day will do an deluxe one,said a new 2K scan master,same here about 4.1 master,wonder if it 3 across the front channels and just one for the back ? :)
I've had 4.1 sound DVDs before.
Isn't it stereo at the front and two rears?

Earlier 70mm tracks were three front channels and monaural surround. Think Star Wars and Alien (if memory serves).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom