• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The Thing HD-DVD

Deeez Nuuutz

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I want to order The Thing on HD-DVD but i'm not sure where to order from.

On highdefdigest its reviewed as a combo disc and states a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/thing1982.html

However at Movietyme they have the one sided disc version and state a 1.85:1 aspect ratio.
http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33570

Its also stated as being in 1.85:1 at dvdworldusa.
http://www.dvdworldusa.com/shopexd.asp?id=49115

Does anybody have this on HD-DVD that can vouch for the aspect ratio please as i'm a little confused where the best place to order from and whether there is more than 1 version avaliable ? :confused:

easycure

Established Member
Don't worry, it's just a misprint on the disc packaging. It states 1.85:1 but its displayed in it's OAR (2.35:1).

I ordered it from Movietyme, btw. Took about a week for it to arrive. Looks lush.

Deeez Nuuutz

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I'll order from MT.

:)

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
i'll bet the scenes in the snow look great.

easycure

Established Member
i'll bet the scenes in the snow look great.
Indeed they do. The darker scenes don't look too shabby either, tho.

I swear, given the number of times I've watched this film over the years, I even picked up on subtle details that I've never noticed before. For a film thats over 20 years old its an exceptional transfer. Deffo worth the upgrade.

The only slightly disappointing thing for fans of the film is that the extras, as good as they are, have just been ported over from the standard dvd release.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Mines on its way along with many other hd-dvds :blush:

Hopefully the xmas post won't delay it much longer

babybearbarker

Prominent Member
This may sound obvious - I assume there is no region lock for importing region 1 HDDVD discs?

Thanks
Tony

hillster

Established Member
I swear, given the number of times I've watched this film over the years, I even picked up on subtle details that I've never noticed before. For a film thats over 20 years old its an exceptional transfer. Deffo worth the upgrade.

Funny you should say that, I watched it earlier and picked up on things I'd not noticed before.

easycure

Established Member
Funny you should say that, I watched it earlier and picked up on things I'd not noticed before.
Sad I know but I let out a little shriek of "you've gotta be ******* kidding" when I spotted that the doctor was sporting a pierced nose. Never ever noticed that before.

easycure

Established Member
really? I even noticed that on vhs :eek:
I'm serious. I just assumed the doc had a runny nose or something. I'll never be able to look at the doc in the same light again.
I bet the autopsies are stunners on HD
I was upgrading from the standard non-anamorphic (r2) dvd release so upgrading to the HD-DVD version was a massive step-up in the PQ department for me.

I hope I haven't bigged up the HD version too much. I don't want people camped out by my front door with pitch forks if they don't notice any significant improvement with the HD-DVD version.

Saying that I do think anyone upgrading will be suitably impressed. Just don't forget to watch it with the lights dimmed for full effect. Honestly, you're in for a treat.

Kevo

Prominent Member
I was upgrading from the standard non-anamorphic (r2) dvd release so upgrading to the HD-DVD version was a massive step-up in the PQ department for me.

I'm in the same boat and am really looking forward to the 'step up' from R2 non-anamorphic.
I've ordered it from loaded247.com and it's out of stock until early Jan :(

ditto Field of Dreams.

Blade Runner is another, if and when it gets a HD-DVD release.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom