The Thing (2011) prequel (with spoilers for The Thing)

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
I *think* that one of the shots of the dog running towards camera with the chopper in the background was from the original.

Just watched it and what a dull film. I don't tend to be a CGI basher and think that the effects in the original look a bit dated now, but much of the CGI in this is really bad. Mary Elizabeth Winstead, though too young for the role, makes a credible heroine and she is the only reason this is even remotely watchable. As this is so close to the original and yet far inferior, it's pretty much a pointless exercise.

J1mbo

Novice Member
Just watched it and what a dull film. I don't tend to be a CGI basher and think that the effects in the original look a bit dated now, but much of the CGI in this is really bad. Mary Elizabeth Winstead, though too young for the role, makes a credible heroine and she is the only reason this is even remotely watchable. As this is so close to the original and yet far inferior, it's pretty much a pointless exercise.

I completely agree. An exercise in futility that simply attempts to ape the original with much less impressive results. And the CGI is jarring in the extreme. I can't believe they dropped so much of the practical work.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Yeah, the practical stuff seen in that youtube vid looked beyond awesome, but the powers-that-be decided to add a load of CG over top of it.

Indiana Jones

That is brilliant lol

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom