The Ten Commandments (1956) 4K UHD

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Links: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - Zavvi

Release date: 29/03/2021

TTC_4K.jpg

CELEBRATING ITS 65TH ANNIVERSARY THIS YEAR, CECIL B. DEMILLE’S LEGENDARY EPIC ARRIVES ON 4K ULTRA HD FOR THE FIRST TIME

Bringing to life the inspiring story of Moses in all its stunning glory, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS has withstood the test of time. To commemorate the film’s 65th anniversary in 2021, DeMille’s ground breaking cinematic triumph will be available to watch at home in time for Easter in sparkling 4K Ultra HD with High Dynamic Range.

As part of the restoration done in 2010, the film was scanned in 6K and those files were the basis for this brand-new Dolby Vision version, which shows off the full beauty of the original VistaVision negative. The VistaVision format used special cameras to feed 35mm film into the camera horizontally in order to capture a wider image spread over two 35mm film frames, giving VistaVision twice the resolution of regular 35mm film. In addition, Paramount spent well over 150 hours doing new color work and clean-up on the scan. The move to Dolby Vision created the opportunity to further improve the look of the film: blacks are enhanced and improvements were made to smooth out special effects mattes to create the most vibrant and pristine image possible.

The 4K film presentation contains an introduction by DeMille, an intermission, an overture/exit music card, and an entr’acte card, along with a DTS-HD 5.1 lossless soundtrack.

The new set includes a 4K Ultra HD disc, two Blu-ray discs, and access to a Digital copy of the film. Following is a breakdown of the disc contents:

4K Ultra HD Disc:
1956 feature film in 4K Ultra HD
  • Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of “Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments”
Blu-ray Disc™ #1:
1956 feature film in high definition (Part 1)
  • Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of “Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments”
Blu-ray Disc™ #2:
1956 feature film in high definition (Part 2)
  • Newsreel footage of the film’s New York premiere
  • Theatrical trailers, including at 10-minute “making of” trailer
  • For sheer pageantry and spectacle, few motion pictures can claim to equal the splendor of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. DeMille’s last motion picture made Charlton Heston a superstar and remains an unprecedented achievement and perennial fan favorite. Filmed in Egypt and the Sinai with one of the biggest sets ever constructed for a motion picture, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS tells the story of the life of Moses (Heston). Once favored in the Pharaoh’s (Yul Brynner) household, Moses turned his back on a privileged life to lead his people to freedom.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Currently down for release via Paramount in the US/CA on 30th March 2021
UK release expected, will update as usual once confirmed.
Can you show a link for this please, there seems to be alot of speculation about this release?

Not sure where RedDevil got his info, but I found this.

OP updated with (US) artwork and press release info.

I’m not familiar with VistaVision. What other 4K released titles are filmed in this format?

Eager to see reviews of this after they make use of the 6K scan. Have any other 4K titles been taken from a scan of 6K or higher??

I’m not familiar with VistaVision. What other 4K released titles are filmed in this format?

Eager to see reviews of this after they make use of the 6K scan. Have any other 4K titles been taken from a scan of 6K or higher??
Vista Vision was pretty much abandoned at the end of the 50s and as legend has it Lucas film found some during the making of the original Star Wars and used them for the SFX portion of the film.

Here is a list of films filmed in VV

Vista Vision was pretty much abandoned at the end of the 50s and as legend has it Lucas film found some during the making of the original Star Wars and used them for the SFX portion of the film.

Here is a list of films filmed in VV

Wow I’m unfamiliar with most of those films shot entirely in VistaVision, but the “special effects process work only” films are more up my alley.

I’m not familiar with VistaVision.

If you've seen how analogue Imax cameras use 70mm film horizontally rather than vertically to increase resolution, as I understand it Vista vision was a very similar process but using 35mm film

Hope zoom put this up as well (amazon are hopeless for pre-orders!).

Also another classic Paramount movie is Gunfight At The Ok Corral.....filmed in VistaVision & would also look fantastic as a 4K UHD Disc!

Might just get the Itunes version of this and watch it on my tablet.

Oh my gosh I totally missed that I thought you were being one of those annoying trolls with you iTunes and your tablet. It's a pretty damn good joke :clap::clap:

I thought it might be a bit subtle 😄. Should have gone with the old ... .

Again this is another one where I'm glad its being released for those that want it but I can't help but think of many other films from the same period that are way better...
The transfer was already to go in the early 2010s is why its getting an easter release as its always been a massive catalog title for Paramount! So many Hollywood studios are sitting on 4K masters from the early 2010s which have yet to be released in any form:

Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan & Star Trek 6 TUC were both given 4K HDR masters in 2015-6 with director Nick Meyer but so far only ST2 has had any release (iTunes only for now). All they need to do is slap them on a disc with minimal effort but most likely they are waiting until the other ST movies are done (STMP is having some sort of 4K remaster but its very slow progress due to the high cost & Paramount being willing to pay for it!).

20th Century Fox allowed some film tech company to do a 4K restoration of 1968s Planet Of The Apes back in the very early 2010s but then the company went bankrupt sometime later & the stunning results (they used to have a website showcasing the incredible differences making it look like a new movie!) have yet to resurface as no-one knows what happened to the 4K masters (most likely tied up in the bankruptcy process).

Paramount appear to be going through their entire back catalog & the more commercial films are getting some form of disc release (1953 War Of The Worlds is rumoured to get an EU 4K Disc release sometime this year!).

Ordered from Amazon. £20 not bad at all

Never seen this. Might give it a rent

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom