The Ten Commandments 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Watched this and concur. Splendid disc

Yep, great films that looks incredible in 4K. Not sure about 8/10 though?

I love how UHD Blu Ray has breathed new life into these old epics. The likes of Lawrence Of Arabia, Spartacus and this have shown what a vital resource it is for showcasing these movies in all their glory.

Bit of a relief that this 4K disc managed to score 1 more out of 10 than that modern classic/epic that is Wonder Woman 84.

Interesting that the previous 1080p blu-ray was spread across 2 BD-50 discs, whereas this 4K UHD is on one BD-100. Obviously PQ upgrades aren't just about bitrates, but still interesting. Advances in compression codecs must account for some of this.

Defo be picking this up, 4k remasters from this era of true epics are a must have.

Surprised the picture was so good considering it was only 35mm.
However.... a quick check on Wiki explained that the Vistavision format ran horizontally and the actual width of the film was 8 perfs. So quite a large negative area compared with normal 35mm which is 4 perfs vertical.

In my all time top ten. Epic film. And considering it’s been there so long I’ve only just realised I have two Charlie Heston films in there 😂
Planet of the Apes being the other.

I love Epic, so will have to see this for sure!

Interesting that the previous 1080p blu-ray was spread across 2 BD-50 discs, whereas this 4K UHD is on one BD-100. Obviously PQ upgrades aren't just about bitrates, but still interesting. Advances in compression codecs must account for some of this.
Two different codecs x265 is very efficient, plus two dual layer Blu-rays = 100GB, 1 triple layer BDXL = 100GB. So the same amount of space as two Blu-rays and a more advanced codec.

Any sign when this will come out in Europe?
Watched a bit some days ago on regular cable and would like to experience this in the best format for my first watching.

This is currently £7.99 on Apple 4k tv box for those that are cheap skates like me.

Last time I saw this was Easter around 30 years ago, watching it in the A&E waiting room after a friend had shot a soggy bit of chewed up paper from a pea shooter directly into my ear!! 🤣

Watched the 4K disc this afternoon and the picture truly is stunning. The HDR just makes it so much better.

I agree with all of that review aside from the score of 8 for the film itself. It's a Top 10 film for me and gets a perfect 10. Even as a hardcore atheist, I never tire of watching it. One of the best fantasy films ever made :thumbsup:

This type of epic reminds me of Sunday Roast at my nans at Easter.

Same as the carry on films which are still on at Easter or bank holidays even after 40 years!

Saw the Review Now Own it on 4k Very Nice.
I did see it on the Shelf with the other 4k s and thought it would not be
worth buying as it is an old Title , What can they do with such an Old Movie ?
Well the Colours Pop and all the Costumes Look Fantastic Viewed on a LG 89" TV.
There were some traces of seeing Foreground and Background Overlay on this
Massive TV But Very Good overall .
Am very Impressed , Even my Friend Bought a Copy.

I finally got around to watching this movie last weekend in the 4K format.

It was a movie that my mother (who is sadly no longer with us) always told me I should watch and it was one of the greatest movies of all time. I pushed backed in my younger days as I thought it was a religious topic I did not necessarily want to delve into but it always stayed in the back of my mind that I should watch it.

Well, after watching it for the first time last weekend, I could not stop from myself and paused it very rarely for the odd snack.

I would have never known that I would have a new on-screen crush called Anne Baxter ! xD What an amazing performance from her and all the cast involved.

10/10 for the movie and 4K release.

I finally got around to watching this movie last weekend in the 4K format.

It was a movie that my mother (who is sadly no longer with us) always told me I should watch and it was one of the greatest movies of all time. I pushed backed in my younger days as I thought it was a religious topic I did not necessarily want to delve into but it always stayed in the back of my mind that I should watch it.

Well, after watching it for the first time last weekend, I could not stop from myself and paused it very rarely for the odd snack.

I would have never known that I would have a new on-screen crush called Anne Baxter ! xD What an amazing performance from her and all the cast involved.

10/10 for the movie and 4K release.
I concur , a must have Movie being an Old release.

I watched this last week on 4k UHD disc. First time I've seen the film, so to watch it on my projector was a treat. It looked absolutely epic and the picture was fantastic for an old film.

I was really enjoying the film up until the point where Moses went all religious....after that he became quite a boring character, in my opinion, despite the task he had. Yul Brynner and Ann Baxter were great and their acting wasn't as hammy as Charlton Heston's, again in my opinion.

Very pleased I've now watched this film and it must have been an amazing spectacle on first release.

I have a LG OLED monitor and Sony 4k / Blu-Ray player. I bought this 4k of the Ten Commandments and from time to time the image becomes too dark. You have to rewind back to a time in the movie when the image was still bright like it should be and then fast forward to where the image became dark and the image is bright again, for awhile. Several minutes later the image goes dark again and you have to reapeat the same procedure. I figured this was just a defective disc as other 4k like Alien, Bridge On The River Kwai, The Shining etc that I have played ok. But now I just bought the just released 4k box set of the Universal Monster movies and played Frankenstein. Same problem as the Ten Commandments. So can anybody suggest what the problem is? Do I have buy a more expensive 4k / Bl-Ray player? Does the type of monitor make any difference? Have their been reports of defective 4k releases with the problem I've described. If I can't solve the problem I guess I won't be buying any more 4k releases.

Sounds like your tv is dimming the brightness level to protect your screen. Do you have "energy saving" enabled? I have read that can cause a problem as well. I don't have an LG (or oled) but think I read somewhere there is a way of defeating ABL. Perhaps better off asking in the LG OLED threads.

I have a LG OLED monitor and Sony 4k / Blu-Ray player. I bought this 4k of the Ten Commandments and from time to time the image becomes too dark. You have to rewind back to a time in the movie when the image was still bright like it should be and then fast forward to where the image became dark and the image is bright again, for awhile. Several minutes later the image goes dark again and you have to reapeat the same procedure. I figured this was just a defective disc as other 4k like Alien, Bridge On The River Kwai, The Shining etc that I have played ok. But now I just bought the just released 4k box set of the Universal Monster movies and played Frankenstein. Same problem as the Ten Commandments. So can anybody suggest what the problem is? Do I have buy a more expensive 4k / Bl-Ray player? Does the type of monitor make any difference? Have their been reports of defective 4k releases with the problem I've described. If I can't solve the problem I guess I won't be buying any more 4k releases.
Try another HDMI cable or if you don't have another cable you could try disconnecting and reconnecting your current cable. Just reseating the cable can sometimes solve some weird problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom