The Ten Commandments 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Watched this and concur. Splendid disc

FevreDream

I love how UHD Blu Ray has breathed new life into these old epics. The likes of Lawrence Of Arabia, Spartacus and this have shown what a vital resource it is for showcasing these movies in all their glory.

Fake Shempz

Bit of a relief that this 4K disc managed to score 1 more out of 10 than that modern classic/epic that is Wonder Woman 84.

amita

Interesting that the previous 1080p blu-ray was spread across 2 BD-50 discs, whereas this 4K UHD is on one BD-100. Obviously PQ upgrades aren't just about bitrates, but still interesting. Advances in compression codecs must account for some of this.

SMeister

Defo be picking this up, 4k remasters from this era of true epics are a must have.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Surprised the picture was so good considering it was only 35mm.
However.... a quick check on Wiki explained that the Vistavision format ran horizontally and the actual width of the film was 8 perfs. So quite a large negative area compared with normal 35mm which is 4 perfs vertical.

Gambit1977

In my all time top ten. Epic film. And considering it’s been there so long I’ve only just realised I have two Charlie Heston films in there 😂
Planet of the Apes being the other.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
I love Epic, so will have to see this for sure!

zantarous

Distinguished Member
Interesting that the previous 1080p blu-ray was spread across 2 BD-50 discs, whereas this 4K UHD is on one BD-100. Obviously PQ upgrades aren't just about bitrates, but still interesting. Advances in compression codecs must account for some of this.
Two different codecs x265 is very efficient, plus two dual layer Blu-rays = 100GB, 1 triple layer BDXL = 100GB. So the same amount of space as two Blu-rays and a more advanced codec.

SonoriusMaximus

Standard Member
Any sign when this will come out in Europe?
Watched a bit some days ago on regular cable and would like to experience this in the best format for my first watching.

peahead

This is currently £7.99 on Apple 4k tv box for those that are cheap skates like me.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Last time I saw this was Easter around 30 years ago, watching it in the A&E waiting room after a friend had shot a soggy bit of chewed up paper from a pea shooter directly into my ear!! 🤣

Nostromo71

Watched the 4K disc this afternoon and the picture truly is stunning. The HDR just makes it so much better.

I agree with all of that review aside from the score of 8 for the film itself. It's a Top 10 film for me and gets a perfect 10. Even as a hardcore atheist, I never tire of watching it. One of the best fantasy films ever made :thumbsup:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
This type of epic reminds me of Sunday Roast at my nans at Easter.

Same as the carry on films which are still on at Easter or bank holidays even after 40 years!

Delta38

Saw the Review Now Own it on 4k Very Nice.
I did see it on the Shelf with the other 4k s and thought it would not be
worth buying as it is an old Title , What can they do with such an Old Movie ?
Well the Colours Pop and all the Costumes Look Fantastic Viewed on a LG 89" TV.
There were some traces of seeing Foreground and Background Overlay on this
Massive TV But Very Good overall .
Am very Impressed , Even my Friend Bought a Copy.

Madakaii

Standard Member
I finally got around to watching this movie last weekend in the 4K format.

It was a movie that my mother (who is sadly no longer with us) always told me I should watch and it was one of the greatest movies of all time. I pushed backed in my younger days as I thought it was a religious topic I did not necessarily want to delve into but it always stayed in the back of my mind that I should watch it.

Well, after watching it for the first time last weekend, I could not stop from myself and paused it very rarely for the odd snack.

I would have never known that I would have a new on-screen crush called Anne Baxter ! xD What an amazing performance from her and all the cast involved.

10/10 for the movie and 4K release.

Delta38

I finally got around to watching this movie last weekend in the 4K format.

It was a movie that my mother (who is sadly no longer with us) always told me I should watch and it was one of the greatest movies of all time. I pushed backed in my younger days as I thought it was a religious topic I did not necessarily want to delve into but it always stayed in the back of my mind that I should watch it.

Well, after watching it for the first time last weekend, I could not stop from myself and paused it very rarely for the odd snack.

I would have never known that I would have a new on-screen crush called Anne Baxter ! xD What an amazing performance from her and all the cast involved.

10/10 for the movie and 4K release.
I concur , a must have Movie being an Old release.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom