The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 17th November 2009
2009’s version of The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 is a perfectly enjoyable, sometimes thrilling, sometimes dramatic movie. The high points include seeing the ever reliable Denzel Washington, in an a-typical role, facing off against a suitably psychotic John Travolta, on unusually good form. On the flipside the film is, frankly, fairly redundant, pandering to those who can’t be bothered to watch classic 70s thrillers. Still, if you haven’t seen the original, you will no doubt find this pretty original and pretty exciting. Coming to US Region Free Blu-ray we get amazing video and audio – the Director Tony Scott certainly has a flair for filming material that looks good in Hi-Def – and a decent set of extras to round off the disc. Fans would be advised not to hesitate in a purchase. As for newcomers... well the stubborn film buff in me would strongly suggest you seriously consider checking out the original first. The realist knows that this new flick is infinitely more accessible for modern generations. So, in light of that, for those who do just want to skip the 70s version, I can safely say that this film and this release will not disappoint.
Read the full review...

Thanks for the review.

I was dreading this film having been a fan of the original for years. I like the film for the most part, but as you said, we didn't need the chase at the end.

Thanks for the effort.

Any chance of reviewing Blu Ray North by Northwest. I already got a copy, and think they've done a fantastic job with the picture. Just wondered on your thoughts?

Thanks for your comment.

Yup, a North by NorthWest review, done by one of my colleagues, will be posted as and when the postal strikes let us have the disc!

Thanks for the review but I don't understand what you consider to be "completely botched" about the 90's remake that starred Edward James Olmos. Admittedly it did not have a patch on the original's sharp humour or as much strong interplay between the characters but it had edge and was watchable. Vincent Donofrio was fine as was Olmos and Richard Schiff.

Looking forward to early Jan and the release here of the latest version.

Has anyone else thought the sound quality on this disc poor on the rear effects & LF channel - i thought my system had packed in it was so quiet???

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom