The Sweet Hereafter - it's sheer brilliance

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An oldie (1997) but I watched this last night after having read good things about it everywhere and was not disappointed at all. In fact, it exceeded my expectations.

The movie concerns a terrible tragedy that occurs in a small snow-covered town and focuses on the repercussions on the community at large, individual families and their interactions.

The real treat of this movie are the characters and the dialogue (both of which are fantastic), but along the way the movie deals with a number of 'relationship' issues, some of which make for very uncomfortable viewing and all of which is totally engrossing from start to finish.

Ian Holm turns in an incredible performance as the lawyer seeking to represent all the families (who in turn has issues of his own to deal with), and Sarah Polley (blonde girl from 'Go') stars too.

The R1 transfer is pleasing to the eye and ear. Video is anamorphic 2.35:1 and is crisp and clear throughout. For a movie that predominantly involves dialogue, I was surprised to find good use made of all DD5.1 channels which didn't feel artificial with many natural effects coming off the side and behind. Even the sub gets down to some very low frequencies that will cause a rattle or two. There is an isolated music track on the DVD as well which I was overjoyed about as the music used throughout is both full of, and evokes such, emotion and is so fitting given the location and story content.

Because of the tragedy itself and the various issues arising, this film is not easy viewing but it's so captivating it has to be worthy of your time and money and will certainly stand up to multiple views.

The movie was nominated for 2 Academy Awards in 1997 (Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay) and also won the 1997 Cannes Film Festival 'Grand Prix'.

8.5/10 from me :smashin:

IMDB page is here: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120255

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And... it's Canadian! :D

Sorry, there's just so few good Canadian flicks that people have actually heard about. Very good film.