The Summerhouse Cinema

PsyVision

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is to document the build of my summerhouse cinema. We live in a conservation area and therefore have had to submit a planning application. This is now with the council and we are awaiting a decision.

This is the site location:

QaLiOY0.png

And to the left side of the plot, on the boundary with No. 12 we are going to build this:

fundKuc.png

The build will consist of trench foundations with a blue brick plinth and concrete floor, similar to house foundations. The frame will then be 150mm thick with 75mm offset studs. Inside will be two layers of soundproofing plasterboard with the famous green glue. The building will then be timber cladded. There will be a sloped EPDM roof.

A photo of the plot at the start of the build. This has already had a huge amount of clearance carried out, although more to be done. We will use a digger to level the land and then construct a retaining wall.

01Nwjuv.jpg

The idea is to have a dual use building that is part man-cave and part cinema. The window on the south elevation will have desks in front of it for my computer and 3D printers etc. The rest of the room will be a cinema. The view from the desk will be of the following:

5tsNmW1.jpg

We have started to remove the old foundations and block work from an old greenhouse:

7iwU3Sq.jpg

Fc2fx87.jpg

This is where we are today. We have a tree-surgeon booked to remove two of the apple trees but are also awaiting the council to approve the works under a separate planning application.

Hi @PsyVision - finally about to start hey.. good luck and subscribed

At last yes! We've got a wedding to pay for too (June) so that may steal some funds and slow things down but still looking to crack on :)

Good luck with the build hope everything goes well. Subscribed

M

The council have allowed the removal of 4 trees, 2 of which to make way for the build. These should be removed in a couple of weeks.

Three weeks left until the target decision date on the summerhouse planning.

OY! Summerhouse cinema... what a dream project! :love:

Awesome garden! :smashin: Best of luck with this!

Tree surgeons are in today to remove the trees. Two weeks left on the planning application *fingers crossed*!

Aside from soundproofing -

Do you intend on implementing the walls/corners/ceiling of this cinema room with acoustic treatments from the ground up? To make it a 'perfect' sound environment for your cinema? After all, a dedicated spot like this has so many possibilities! :) (compared to most living rooms, for example :()

I've not thought about that side of things so far. The room will be compromised due to the windows and doors but it will be good to apply some acoustic treatment where possible and sensible. To be honest I don't know much on the subject.

I am currently thinking about the speaker placement and possibilities. I would like to go for an Atmos setup:

Fronts: I've been looking at AT screens, if I'm going that route it seems a lot of people would build a baffle wall. I currently have floor standing speakers (684s) although I would like to buy new equipment specific for this room.

Sides: I like the idea of in-wall as they are more compact but I wonder whether my wall design (offset studs) is really suitable for this ?

Ceiling: The roof will be constructed "warm roof" style and is solid. I will then have a soffit around the room with spotlight down lighting and LED up lighting (similar to a lot of designs on here). I would like to have in-ceiling speakers for Atmos here and I think I will need to build a dropped ceiling to allow this to be a possibility?

Rears: These may double up as a 2.0 setup with my desks at the back of the room but will probably be in-wall or wall mounted either side of the window at the back.

I'm going to put chaneled electric blackout blinds on the windows and door. I'm currently looking at the Sony VPL-HW40ES or maybe the 55 for the projector. An AT screen will allow me to get a nice big screen size too, seating will be about ~3m (10ft) from the screen.

Seating will be a really comfy sofa :)

Last edited:
^ All sounds really exciting! Lots of options!

I would most definitely recommend that you consider proper room acoustic treatment, perhaps via a professional, as it will most certainly make a huge difference. This may also depend on whether or not you go with in-wall speakers and so forth, but with a dedicated room like this you really ought to have the possibility for great acoustics. Don't miss out on that! I have a 'normal' living room space and thus sadly cannot house that much acoustic treatment as I would like.

Dedicated rooms are perfect for this reason!

What about on-wall options for side and rear surround duties? Have you looked at speakers from Arendal Sound, M&K Sound, Procella Audio, XTZ Cinema, Teufel THX etc? These are awesome makers of speaker systems for theater rooms in general. Especially if you plan to place the trio of front speakers behind the projector screen and on-wall for the rest. Not sure they all have specific ceiling models for Atmos, but wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Looking forward to following your progress...! :)

Before:

HYBNSfM.jpg

After:

qSx9Oko.jpg

Obviously the huge conifer by the treehouse has gone but more importantly the two smaller apple trees over to the left have gone, this will give more room around the summerhouse and allow the other apple tree to do better.

What about on-wall options for side and rear surround duties? Have you looked at speakers from Arendal Sound, M&K Sound, Procella Audio, XTZ Cinema, Teufel THX etc? These are awesome makers of speaker systems for theater rooms in general. Especially if you plan to place the trio of front speakers behind the projector screen and on-wall for the rest. Not sure they all have specific ceiling models for Atmos, but wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Yes I think on-wall may well be the way to go. I have eyed up XTZ and M&K in several other cinemas and think they could be suitable. Not heard them in person so definitely need to arrange a demo somewhere, and some PJ demos too! Maybe once I start getting the framing up :)

I will do some research into the others, thank you.

Yes I think on-wall may well be the way to go. I have eyed up XTZ and M&K in several other cinemas and think they could be suitable. Not heard them in person so definitely need to arrange a demo somewhere, and some PJ demos too! Maybe once I start getting the framing up :)

I will do some research into the others, thank you.
Please feel free to get in touch if you would like an MK demo. pm sent

Regards

Rich

Thanks Rich! St Albans isn't too far on from my folks house so I may well swing over your way.

So the planning application due date is tomorrow but I haven't a clue what's happening as the planning officer won't reply to me. Frustrating :(

I'm sure it'll be fantastic once finished!

May I ask though, given the size of your plot why didn't you extend the house to build a dedicated room? This would obviously have a convenience factor for use and also probably add to the value of your property.

Anyway, I'm sure you have your reasons.

Do have a listen to the XTZ cinema series. They're perfect for mounting behind an AT screen and will work out cheaper than MK 150 series speakers and sound as good if not better imho.

Good News!
Planning consent has been given. Now to order a digger :D

@indus - In short, the summerhouse will be part cinema, part man shed but with the re-landscaped garden around it with a patio will make for a nice outdoor area. We are considering a loft conversion in the long term to expand inside space.

Good News!
Planning consent has been given. Now to order a digger :D

@indus - In short, the summerhouse will be part cinema, part man shed but with the re-landscaped garden around it with a patio will make for a nice outdoor area. We are considering a loft conversion in the long term to expand inside space.
Remember to pre wire for everything, even if you don't think you will want additional speakers, put the cables I place and you can never have too many plug sockets.

It may well be worth considering in wall speakers if you have the cavity space.

Dan's build is great, his woodwork skills are top notch!

This weekend will be clearing the ground. Digger, dumper and skip are shortly to be booked in for the 20th.

Great news about the planning permission. Looking forward to your updates. Good luck.

M

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom