The Strypes - Snapshot

JonnyTester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Irish R'n'B band The Strypes have released their debut album on Virgin/EMI and its a wee belter. From the opener "Mystery Man" to the finale "Rollin' & Tumblin''" (or "I Can Tell" on the deluxe version) its R'n'B the way it should be - gritty, raucous and brilliantly executed. Sometimes poppy ("Blue Collar Jane", "You Can't Judge A Book...", sometimes punky (What A Shame") and sometimes just down 'n' dirty ("Angel Eyes, "I Can Tell"), the originals bolstered by a handful of covers including Lieber and Stoller's R'n'B staple "I'm A Hog For You Baby", Nick Lowe's "Heart Of The City, Bo Diddley's "I Can Tell" and "You Can't Tell A Book By Its Cover".

Produced by Chris Thompson of "Never Mind The Bo**ocks..." fame, its a fine debut that'll have you tapping you toes and the steering wheel. They play Belfast tomorrow night (September 18th) and I can hardly wait. They've come a long way since their first Belfast show in January 2012.

HOTLINKED IMAGE REMOVED BY MOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Great album Curly. I got a chance to share the stage with them in January 2012 when my band did a three-header with them and Dublin band ReSoul. We were on last (we were the local band :D) and they were a very hard act to follow even then.

Nice, I saw them on "Later with Jools" a while back and liked what I heard, tried to buy their 7" releases at the time but always found them always sold out. I did think the album would be mainly covers, how wrong I was, it has just the right amount of new and old songs, it really does have that 60's/Yardbirds vibe which I do like :cool:

JonnyTester what sort of music does your band play? have you got any links?

Curly

I was speaking to Niall (Josh's dad) after the show and he was saying they're in Dublin tonight and then they've to shoot a video for "You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover" which is to be their next single. If the crowd reaction to it last night is anything to go by, it'll be number one. Then they're off to Japan before the end of the year and the US next year.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom