1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The strange case of the shrinking screen....

Discussion in 'TVs' started by MOVIEMANIAC, Dec 26, 2004.

1. MOVIEMANIAC

MOVIEMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HELP!!!

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but our TV picture has been shrinking into the middle of the screen over the past couple of days now. It's as if everything is being shown letterboxed, albeit in a extremely distorted fashion with the odd face and head stretch going on..!!! :eek:

I reckon that this could be tube on its way out, but I'm hoping that it could just be a problem with my connection to the Telewest cable box. If the tube was ready to go bye-bye, wouldn't the picture just disappear completely? :confused:

And this is kinda strange too :when I turn the TV set on after it's been off for some time, the picture that first appears is pretty awful with lots of creases running over it. These soon disappear, but the image I'm left with doesn't fill the full screen and just keeps to the centre, rather like letterbox, only it doesn't look right. :suicide:

What's going on?? :lease:

Cheers!

David

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Moviemaniac (welcome to the Forum :) )

You don't say what make/model/type your TV is, but it sounds as if you've got a timebase fault. :thumbsdow

Best to call in the local expert, I'm sorry to say.

3. MOVIEMANIAC

MOVIEMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya.

Cheers for the welcome aboard. :hiya:

Sorry, it's a TOSHIBA 2805/2505DB, Nicam Deluxe with Dolby Surround. I bought it in 1991. I had the tube replaced in 1996/97. The whole picture went then, though and only a blinding white line was left running horizontally across the screen. :rolleyes:

Peter

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On a tv set of this age (assuming it has had 'normal' usage) I am pretty certain you are suffering from aged electolytic capacitors - it's quite common on tv's of this age - it's a combination of time and heat. Very unlikely that the crt is faulty although after this length of time it probably isn't as bright as it was originally and the geometry/registration/focus are also likely to be impaired. Easy enough for an engineer to sort out given a capacitor checker (or indeed it may be a 'standard' fault in which case only a few capacitors would need to be replaced) The worse case scenario would be that many capacitors may need changing and that would be a time consuming and therefore expensive task. Given the money you may be looking at at this stage I think you should give serious thought to putting that cash towards a more modern tv set?

If you do think about having someone look at it please don't take to the shop who 'changed' your crt in 1996 -the fault you describe as no picture except a bright horizontal 'white line' is not a symptom of a faulty crt but a faulty transistor in the vertical time base generator - if they have ripped you off once, they will do it again. Regards, yt.

5. MOVIEMANIAC

MOVIEMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanx for your help, it is very much appreciated. :smashin:

The firm which "sorted out" my problem first time around are no longer in business so I guess that says it all. :censored:

I'll ring round in the next couple of days for some free estimates. The set itself owes me nothing if I'm honest about it, so, if the repair work required is expensive, I'd be far better off treating myself to a new model. I may even be lucky in the sales. Anyone happen to know of any exceptionally good deals on just now in any of the stores? I'm only concerned with replacing my TV, not the VCR or DVD, so I wouldn't be interested in a video-and-dvd-for-free package. The bigger screen the better. :D