The Story of an iPhone User Switching to Android, again

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
So I’ve recently made the switch going the other way. Been an Android user for years and my last iPhone was the 5. I was using an Oppo Find X2, but picked up an iPhone 7 and Apple Watch series 2 in the classifieds for good prices. The watch was one of the main reasons I was thinking of moving over.
The only problems I encountered during setup were getting text messages and What’sApp transferred to the iPhone. I couldn’t figure the texts out so lost all of those, and I had to buy a bit of software to move over WhatsApp properly and keep the messages.
In general use though I’m rally liking iOS. I’ve got a work issued iPad anyway so was fairly familiar with it, but I still just needed to find my way around. It’s doing everything I want it to do though and I really like the partnership with the watch. Again that just seems to work well too.
The only issue I haven’t figured out is audio in the car. My old phone had a headphone socket so I could just plug it in, but iPhones don’t so I’ve had to dig out my old iPod. I’d rather use my iPhone as I use it for sat nav too, but my car is old so the head unit doesn’t have Bluetooth.
Regarding WhatsApp, it is probably best to use iCareFone or Move to iOS.

Perhaps, I could help. What audio inputs have you got and how do you like to listen to your music?

dandeedan

Novice Member
A long time ago, I once switch from Apple to Samsung and it lasted all of 1 week. Biggest mistake I ever made!

I'm stuck with Apple now, there's no switching...ever!

ColinJM

Novice Member
The only Apple device I've used was an iPad 2.
It was ok at the time but I run no other Apple kit so got rid of it.

I've been content with my Android devices but have been curious about variations between suppliers

• After years of crappy company phones I bought an HTC
    Loved the speaker sound quality & usability
  • Moved to Samsung. Most recent one was a Galaxy S7
    Generally everything worked ok
    There was quite a bit of bloatware pre-installed (a bit like buying a Windows PC) but once I got rid of it, things ran ok
  • Last year I got a Google Pixel 4a
    That worked fine and as I got used to the camera & software, found it was great for walkabout photos
    But I dropped it down the toilet.....
  • An insurance claim paid enough to replace it with a Pixel 6
    I rubbed my hands at the thought of using an up to date model
    But so far, I've not really noticed much difference in performance or usability :(
Two final points:

I've been intrigued on people's comments about "auto"
All my recent Android phones have tried to launch something when I use them in my car. This seems to do.....absolutely bugger-all userful!!

Whilst I find Google maps fine for car navigation, I've always been amazed how crap it can become when walking.
The number of times I've been walking round an unfamiliar city and the cursor seems to be about 50 yards away, or pointing in the wrong direction.
On each replacement phone, I've hoped for an improvement, but no :(

Does anyone else find this when walking with Google Maps?

Dorset Dog

Banned
I intensely disliked the Samsung OS - my favorite is plain vanilla Android.

That said I am stuck with an iPhone due to needing WiFi calling and I couldnt get that to reliably work on my android..:D

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Don't you think that is is not necessarily up to the operating system? I think that the wi-fi calling reliability may be influenced by the brand and model you are using, software. I am not mentioning the internet connection if it works fine on an iPhone.

Dorset Dog

Banned
The trouble is that wifi calling on android is very dependent on the make (and model) of phone and what version of android you have - with iPhones it all you have to have is the latest ios update.

So in my case it was just easier to go with the iPhone that was guaranteed to work. But personally I would prefer to still be using android.

Flynch191

My old Sony Xperia phone had wifi calling on EE. worked great. Still with ee but now on iPhone and wifi calling still working great. :smashin:

ColinJM

Novice Member
The trouble is that wifi calling on android is very dependent on the make (and model) of phone

I only started using WiFi calling last autumn and it's been fine on a Pixel 4a and Pixel 6. My home Wifi is pretty reliable and of course, these are very similar devices.
I've never tried this with other phones, or had problems with WiFi calling so can't challenge your findings.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
The trouble is that wifi calling on android is very dependent on the make (and model) of phone and what version of android you have - with iPhones it all you have to have is the latest ios update.

So in my case it was just easier to go with the iPhone that was guaranteed to work. But personally I would prefer to still be using android.
I've done a lot of wi-fi calls over the last years. Mostly operating on Androids. Apart from a few unlucky events, I encountered close to no problems.

If you are an Android enthusiast, would it it be easier for you to stick to what you like and find a different Android phone that is compatible with the software you are using?

Dorset Dog

Banned
I needed a new phone and as iPhone was guaranteed I just took the easy way out and went with them.

what put me off taking a chance on a new Android was that the list of compatible phones on the website seemed pretty short and model specific - for example only 2 Nokias listed, latest Motorola phones not listed etc..

Phones not listed may well have worked but I simply did not want to take a chance having already tried (and failed) to get 2 previous androids working.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Sure, I get your point. The wi-fi calling (unless through an app like WhatApp), could be challenging at times as both your phone and carrier must support it.

Flynch191

The only problem with Android is:
There are soo many Android phones out there.. lots of cheap crap Android phones that just don’t work/are cheap crap.
Apple are expensive but that’s because they are good phones. Expensive Android phones are also good phones but the choice here is huge… thus some people buy cheap ones and wonder why they have problems with them. You get what you pay for.
The question is what do you want to do with your phone.. is it just a phone to talk to people?
The ones that want to use their phone like a computer or camera need to spend more money.
I guess it comes down to…do your research.. but like everything in life there is cheap rubbish.. great bargings.. bang for Buck… then there’s the expensive bling.
As you get older and wiser you learn this.

Dorset Dog

Banned
The only problem with Android is:
There are soo many Android phones out there.. lots of cheap crap Android phones that just don’t work/are cheap crap.
Apple are expensive but that’s because they are good phones.
I think they are as good as any other premium brand but I do feel you pay a lot extra for the name.

Flynch191

I think they are as good as any other premium brand but I do feel you pay a lot extra for the name.
Agree. There are many Android phones that are as good as, if not even better than an iPhone and they can cost the same or more.

Unlike iPhones, Android phones go down to £50 and for that price, your experience of Android may be a negative experience.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom