The Story of an iPhone User Switching to Android, again

Do you mean that whenever there is a new phone launched by iPhone or Samsung you buy it straightaway?

I've always refused to have anything to do with the Apple ecosystem (thanks to whoever coined that phrase). I had a Nokia Lumia 620 Windows phone which I bought because although I wanted a smart phone, and I was naively impressed by its supposed integration with Microsoft Office. I later wished that I'd spent a few minutes wondering how that was actually supposed to happen. :laugh: I hate lugging anything too large around with me and it was fairly compact, but unfortunately also rather useless.

Determined to move onto Android, after a hell of a lot of research I picked the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, which has a battery life of up to three days and runs on Android One. Something I wasn't warned about is that the Android programmers seem to have forgotten all about the primary function of a phone, which is to receive phone calls. Occasionally it works, but most of the time simply refuses to let me answer. My friends have become used to expecting me to phone them back as soon as they end the call.

I have no intention of ever relying on something that can be lost, broken or out of charge, so I have no intention of ever using it for any form of payment. I have a far superior TomTom for in-car navigation, although the phone's navigation can be useful when on foot. The camera's average at best, and I can't get used to the delay between tapping the button and the photo being taken. It's a right old faff transferring the pics onto my PC as well. Not to worry though, because I have a Nikon SLR for taking photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always refused to have anything to do with the Apple ecosystem (thanks to whoever coined that phrase). I had a Nokia Lumia 620 Windows phone which I bought because although I wanted a smart phone, and I was naively impressed by its supposed integration with Microsoft Office. I later wished that I'd spent a few minutes wondering how that was actually supposed to happen. :laugh: I hate lugging anything too large around with me and it was fairly compact, but unfortunately also rather useless.

Determined to move onto Android, after a hell of a lot of research I picked the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, which has a battery life of up to three days and runs on Android One. Something I wasn't warned about is that the Android programmers seem to have forgotten all about the primary function of a phone, which is to receive phone calls. Occasionally it works, but most of the time simply refuses to let me answer. My friends have become used to expecting me to phone them back as soon as they end the call.

I have no intention of ever relying on something that can be lost, broken or out of charge, so I have no intention of ever using it for any form of payment. I have a far superior TomTom for in-car navigation, although the phone's navigation can be useful when on foot. The camera's average at best, and I can't get used to the delay between tapping the button and the photo being taken. It's a right old faff transferring the pics onto my PC as well. Not to worry though, because I have a Nikon SLR for taking photos.
So you carefully chose a shit phone and you're unhappy with it? I assume you don't use cards or a wallet that can be lost just as easily (more so) as a phone?

So you carefully chose a sh*t phone and you're unhappy with it? I assume you don't use cards or a wallet that can be lost just as easily (more so) as a phone?
You obviously weren't paying attention. It's the operating system that causes the problems, not the phone. The phone only does what Android One tells it to. The refusal to allow call answering is a very widely reported problem.

You must have an incredibly large wallet if you think they're the size of an iPhone. I think you may have bought a clutch bag by mistake. :laugh:

Are you then saying that you would never link any payment methods to your phone? If that is the case then Respect! I am trying to keep it to minimum, but it is difficult not to have any banking or payments connected, as many of the apps I use require some sort of payments.

I use banking apps etc. very easy to use.

If your concern is someone clearing your account out by hacking into your phone… there’s lots of built in security nowadays with authentication apps etc..
Using a VPN can help you stay secure when out and about... that’s if you connect to shop WiF’s and whatnot.

If you can’t see/don’t need the benefits then don’t worry about it. But for me I can’t do without the banking apps.
It’s a future that we will all have to embrace one day, especially as more parts of our life go online.

If worried you could always visit your bank to discuss it and on how to stay safe.

Back when the Samsung S9 came out I bought that and the Galaxy 3 watch and was very happy with it. The only annoyance was not being able to use FaceTime and iMessage. Then I bought a BMW and the integration was non existent. Tried my old iPhone 7 and the difference was night and days.

For me car integration is important so I can’t see myself owning an android anytime soon.

Are you then saying that you would never link any payment methods to your phone? If that is the case then Respect! I am trying to keep it to minimum, but it is difficult not to have any banking or payments connected, as many of the apps I use require some sort of payments.
I didn't know any apps required any form of payment. Mind you, I only have Shazam two messenger apps, a BBC website link to Live League Tables, VLC, a free audio recorder, What 3 Words, something called Froglife (I forget what that is) – oh, and some kind of spirit level type thing. :laugh:
A phone's simply too bulky to carry around in the summer (I use my lovely little Nokia C1-01 for that, but then only if I'm walking out into the middle of nowhere). I sometimes carry it in the winter if I'm wearing a coat with loads of pockets.

Good old Nokia will never get old. It is perfect at what it does best - calling and texting. You cannot go wrong with it! And I am sure it will be useful when you are out alone in the woods, in the middle of nowhere and you need something nearly indestructible to defend yourself.

I've tried this experiment and after 4 months have decided to go back to iOS.

Went from a 12 Pro Max and Series 6 Apple Watch to a Z Flip 3 and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic.

I've really enjoyed the Flip, and quite enjoyed the Watch, but the pull of the Apple ecosystem is proving too strong.

Think I'll put the Samsung kit up on the Classifieds for a trade.

I tried 🤣

I can imagine. If you have been deeply embedded in Apple all your life then it is not ideal to switch to a different set-up all of a sudden (however good it can be).

My first smartohone device was android based, i have owned an Apple device, under the beleif that they were easy to use and used an ipad, however i find iOS to be anyhing but easy to use, instead it feels awkward and cumbersome , plus when using it for a while it feels like you are on rails and can not deviate too far from the out of the box look and feel.
If I get bored with the feel of an android device I can radicly change things such as the launcher and customise a fair bit more than i can with apple devices

I suppose its what you get used to, plus with android you can find it running on some awful budget devices that will give a poor first impression to some higher end better devices .
so if your first expeirience of a smartphone is a crappy budget low end android handset and then you move to an upper mdddle to high end iPhone then the iPhone will be signifficantly better than the budget android device

I switch between Android & iOS phones and tablets as well as Windows & Mac machines. I buy whatever device that appeals to me. Never understood the "it's too hard to move away from the ecosystem" reasoning. Or when people can't possibly manage without iMessage.

Easy enough to get media/files between any device nowadays. It's only hard if you make it hard.

My first smartohone device was android based, i have owned an Apple device, under the beleif that they were easy to use and used an ipad, however i find iOS to be anyhing but easy to use, instead it feels awkward and cumbersome , plus when using it for a while it feels like you are on rails and can not deviate too far from the out of the box look and feel.
If I get bored with the feel of an android device I can radicly change things such as the launcher and customise a fair bit more than i can with apple devices

I suppose its what you get used to, plus with android you can find it running on some awful budget devices that will give a poor first impression to some higher end better devices .
so if your first expeirience of a smartphone is a crappy budget low end android handset and then you move to an upper mdddle to high end iPhone then the iPhone will be signifficantly better than the budget android device
Android is a Linux-based product and is to a large degree an open-source system. Whereas, iOS is only compatible with Apple-friendly programmes. iOS's interface is not that customizable.

Your observation about iPhone may well apply to all Apple products. macOS is a very different platform comparing to Windows.

What does deleted member mean? The original thread starter was banned?
They have asked for their account and all information held on them to be deleted.
Some people move onto other pastures for whatever their reason.

So I’ve recently made the switch going the other way. Been an Android user for years and my last iPhone was the 5. I was using an Oppo Find X2, but picked up an iPhone 7 and Apple Watch series 2 in the classifieds for good prices. The watch was one of the main reasons I was thinking of moving over.
The only problems I encountered during setup were getting text messages and What’sApp transferred to the iPhone. I couldn’t figure the texts out so lost all of those, and I had to buy a bit of software to move over WhatsApp properly and keep the messages.
In general use though I’m rally liking iOS. I’ve got a work issued iPad anyway so was fairly familiar with it, but I still just needed to find my way around. It’s doing everything I want it to do though and I really like the partnership with the watch. Again that just seems to work well too.
The only issue I haven’t figured out is audio in the car. My old phone had a headphone socket so I could just plug it in, but iPhones don’t so I’ve had to dig out my old iPod. I’d rather use my iPhone as I use it for sat nav too, but my car is old so the head unit doesn’t have Bluetooth.

So I’ve recently made the switch going the other way. Been an Android user for years and my last iPhone was the 5. I was using an Oppo Find X2, but picked up an iPhone 7 and Apple Watch series 2 in the classifieds for good prices. The watch was one of the main reasons I was thinking of moving over.
The only problems I encountered during setup were getting text messages and What’sApp transferred to the iPhone. I couldn’t figure the texts out so lost all of those, and I had to buy a bit of software to move over WhatsApp properly and keep the messages.
In general use though I’m rally liking iOS. I’ve got a work issued iPad anyway so was fairly familiar with it, but I still just needed to find my way around. It’s doing everything I want it to do though and I really like the partnership with the watch. Again that just seems to work well too.
The only issue I haven’t figured out is audio in the car. My old phone had a headphone socket so I could just plug it in, but iPhones don’t so I’ve had to dig out my old iPod. I’d rather use my iPhone as I use it for sat nav too, but my car is old so the head unit doesn’t have Bluetooth.
If your car has line in/Aux in then you can add bluetooth functions with a simple bluetooth adaptor
In my old car i used a bluetooth adaptor that lived in the glovebox, all it needed was a 5 volt supply ( ie usb socket) and an Aux in port - the aux in was in the glovebox, and the usb power came from a lighter socket adapter with a wire tucked away into the glove box

You want one that turns on when the car starts, something like this Amazon product ASIN B07H5C2BQX ( others are available)
If your head unit is even older and has a cassette player you can use a bluetooth adapter like that with a cassette adapter

Or another option/ as a last resort (if you don’t want to replace the head unit with a modern one with Bluetooth) you could buy something like this.. I just grabbed from internet.. no idea if this is any good but there’s many types out there.

78286389-64AB-4658-86D0-34E7CC007152.png

When transferring app data from Android to iOS etc ..I found WhatsApp one of the trickiest to do. Everything else came across quite easily. I had everything backed up using Google services.. phone numbers etc.. and like updating to the latest Android phone the move to iOS was just as simple.

3 years in and I’m still liking iOS but people that like tinkering and changing everything about their phone may want to stay away… iOS is still locked down.

Getting data off the iOS system nowadays is easy.. just plug into a pc and copy the folder across.. no more iOS software required like the old days… this is what made me stay away from iOS .. where everything had to happen through their iTunes or whatever it was called.. luckily that’s no longer an issue.

You can buy little dongle/adapters aswell, one end is lightening connection to iPhone, and the other end let’s you plug in normal ear phones.

I’ve got one in my drawer from years ago

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom