The Story of an iPhone User Switching to Android, again. Fool or Genius?

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Do you mean that whenever there is a new phone launched by iPhone or Samsung you buy it straightaway?

TVEye

I've always refused to have anything to do with the Apple ecosystem (thanks to whoever coined that phrase). I had a Nokia Lumia 620 Windows phone which I bought because although I wanted a smart phone, and I was naively impressed by its supposed integration with Microsoft Office. I later wished that I'd spent a few minutes wondering how that was actually supposed to happen. :laugh: I hate lugging anything too large around with me and it was fairly compact, but unfortunately also rather useless.

Determined to move onto Android, after a hell of a lot of research I picked the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, which has a battery life of up to three days and runs on Android One. Something I wasn't warned about is that the Android programmers seem to have forgotten all about the primary function of a phone, which is to receive phone calls. Occasionally it works, but most of the time simply refuses to let me answer. My friends have become used to expecting me to phone them back as soon as they end the call.

I have no intention of ever relying on something that can be lost, broken or out of charge, so I have no intention of ever using it for any form of payment. I have a far superior TomTom for in-car navigation, although the phone's navigation can be useful when on foot. The camera's average at best, and I can't get used to the delay between tapping the button and the photo being taken. It's a right old faff transferring the pics onto my PC as well. Not to worry though, because I have a Nikon SLR for taking photos.

Last edited by a moderator:

dts197

Distinguished Member
I've always refused to have anything to do with the Apple ecosystem (thanks to whoever coined that phrase). I had a Nokia Lumia 620 Windows phone which I bought because although I wanted a smart phone, and I was naively impressed by its supposed integration with Microsoft Office. I later wished that I'd spent a few minutes wondering how that was actually supposed to happen. :laugh: I hate lugging anything too large around with me and it was fairly compact, but unfortunately also rather useless.

Determined to move onto Android, after a hell of a lot of research I picked the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, which has a battery life of up to three days and runs on Android One. Something I wasn't warned about is that the Android programmers seem to have forgotten all about the primary function of a phone, which is to receive phone calls. Occasionally it works, but most of the time simply refuses to let me answer. My friends have become used to expecting me to phone them back as soon as they end the call.

I have no intention of ever relying on something that can be lost, broken or out of charge, so I have no intention of ever using it for any form of payment. I have a far superior TomTom for in-car navigation, although the phone's navigation can be useful when on foot. The camera's average at best, and I can't get used to the delay between tapping the button and the photo being taken. It's a right old faff transferring the pics onto my PC as well. Not to worry though, because I have a Nikon SLR for taking photos.
So you carefully chose a sh*t phone and you're unhappy with it? I assume you don't use cards or a wallet that can be lost just as easily (more so) as a phone?

TVEye

So you carefully chose a sh*t phone and you're unhappy with it? I assume you don't use cards or a wallet that can be lost just as easily (more so) as a phone?
You obviously weren't paying attention. It's the operating system that causes the problems, not the phone. The phone only does what Android One tells it to. The refusal to allow call answering is a very widely reported problem.

You must have an incredibly large wallet if you think they're the size of an iPhone. I think you may have bought a clutch bag by mistake. :laugh:

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Are you then saying that you would never link any payment methods to your phone? If that is the case then Respect! I am trying to keep it to minimum, but it is difficult not to have any banking or payments connected, as many of the apps I use require some sort of payments.

Flynch191

I use banking apps etc. very easy to use.

If your concern is someone clearing your account out by hacking into your phone… there’s lots of built in security nowadays with authentication apps etc..
Using a VPN can help you stay secure when out and about... that’s if you connect to shop WiF’s and whatnot.

If you can’t see/don’t need the benefits then don’t worry about it. But for me I can’t do without the banking apps.
It’s a future that we will all have to embrace one day, especially as more parts of our life go online.

If worried you could always visit your bank to discuss it and on how to stay safe.

LexDiamond

Back when the Samsung S9 came out I bought that and the Galaxy 3 watch and was very happy with it. The only annoyance was not being able to use FaceTime and iMessage. Then I bought a BMW and the integration was non existent. Tried my old iPhone 7 and the difference was night and days.

For me car integration is important so I can’t see myself owning an android anytime soon.

TVEye

Are you then saying that you would never link any payment methods to your phone? If that is the case then Respect! I am trying to keep it to minimum, but it is difficult not to have any banking or payments connected, as many of the apps I use require some sort of payments.
I didn't know any apps required any form of payment. Mind you, I only have Shazam two messenger apps, a BBC website link to Live League Tables, VLC, a free audio recorder, What 3 Words, something called Froglife (I forget what that is) – oh, and some kind of spirit level type thing. :laugh:
A phone's simply too bulky to carry around in the summer (I use my lovely little Nokia C1-01 for that, but then only if I'm walking out into the middle of nowhere). I sometimes carry it in the winter if I'm wearing a coat with loads of pockets.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Good old Nokia will never get old. It is perfect at what it does best - calling and texting. You cannot go wrong with it! And I am sure it will be useful when you are out alone in the woods, in the middle of nowhere and you need something nearly indestructible to defend yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom