The Stone Roses - who cares?

saintie1

Established Member
Reaction score
What is it about them today and the unreal amounts of press they are getting, even on the BBC and ITV news. They weren't great when they were around and they certainly don't merit the prime time coverage they seemed to have mustered.

And yet now they have more coverage :D

Actually - I care deeply.

My favourite band of the 80s. The seminal "britpop", whatever that means, band, with arguably the finest guitarist of his generation, prostituting themselves for what?

Don't do it!!!

Not too bothered really.

One pretty good and one not so good album.

Kind of filled the gap between the smiths and oasis i suppose.

wonder how much money that are getting for reforming?

whether you liked them or not, they were a major group who influenced many, not least Oasis, Charlatans, etc, and younger bands like Kasabian ... Liam Gallagher's whole frickin' stage act (the "swagger") and comedy walk owes everything to Ian Brown

Liam Gallagher's whole frickin' stage act (the "swagger") and comedy walk owes everything to Ian Brown

It helps that they both naturally resemble chimpanzees in the first place ;)

It helps that they both naturally resemble chimpanzees in the first place ;)
Agreed with the OP. Like so many 'indie' (Britpop?) bands they are over hyped and under talented.

I had the first album but only liked two tracks off it, the rest bored me senseless.

Much like Britpop itself.

Actually - I care deeply.

My favourite band of the 80s. The seminal "britpop", whatever that means, band, with arguably the finest guitarist of his generation, prostituting themselves for what?

Don't do it!!!

You obviously don't play the guitar.

Phil

I had the first album but only liked two tracks off it, the rest bored me senseless.

Much like Britpop itself.

Exactly the same here with the Stone Roses album I bought. I liked Waterfall and perhaps another track which I don't remember the name of now and the rest I never bothered with.

You obviously don't play the guitar.

Phil

was about to post something similar myself ! How anyone could say he was the finest in his generation. He could play his instrument alright, but the finest....I think not:nono:

Donnacha said:
was about to post something similar myself ! How anyone could say he was the finest in his generation. He could play his instrument alright, but the finest....I think not:nono:

Depends on what you mean by finest? Of his shoeshuffeling peers he had no equal really. Sure he's no vai or satriani and doubtfull he'd get in dreamtheatre but the dude inspired millions to pick up an axe and have a go. I'd say it's about right, generation wise. I'm not counting Jonny Marr as he was earlier :)

As for albums I actually prefer second coming, don't know why but I love his guitar on that album, self indulgent sure but kickass all the same.

Who cares? Well this forum apparently. 2 threads on Stone roses are currently at the top of the list :D

Shame some have dismissed this band, I did when they first came round, but got into them after they split, both albums are great and the guitar work is not too shabby either ;)

Depends on what you mean by finest? Of his shoeshuffeling peers he had no equal really. Sure he's no vai or satriani and doubtfull he'd get in dreamtheatre but the dude inspired millions to pick up an axe and have a go. I'd say it's about right, generation wise. I'm not counting Jonny Marr as he was earlier :)

As for albums I actually prefer second coming, don't know why but I love his guitar on that album, self indulgent sure but kickass all the same.

It wasn't me that claimed he was the finest - but maybe he was the finest within his genre? That's the thing with guitar players and trying to rate them, as each genre has absolute masters. For every Vai or Satriani, there's a Stevie Ray, for every Malmsteen there's The Edge....etc. All different styles, but equally brilliant in their field.....but its hard to say which one was The Best.

Donnacha said:
It wasn't me that claimed he was the finest - but maybe he was the finest within his genre? That's the thing with guitar players and trying to rate them, as each genre has absolute masters. For every Vai or Satriani, there's a Stevie Ray, for every Malmsteen there's The Edge....etc. All different styles, but equally brilliant in their field.....but its hard to say which one was The Best.

Agreed there, I personally think he's amazing, great technique and great songs. If there were less malmsteens unleashing the fokking fury maybe guitar virtuoso would be back on the menu. Excise my while I pop off to listen to steel panther ;)

I suppose this is the issue? What is a good guitarist? I'm no fan of Johnny Marr either, so............. as for inspiration, well, I'd rather have a few real quality guitarists having a go than millions who are into indie, and therefore can strum a few chords (that's all you need for indie), but in reality have **** all to offer. ;)

As for fret ******* like Malmsteen, you can keep em' too! :cool:

While a lot of bands can fall into the trap of standard chord strumming, a decent guitarist can make the difference and this means creative as much as anything else, for example, blur wouldn't have been half the band they were without Graham Coxon.

To say John squire 'strums a few chords' is an odd statement :) the guy can play, just listen to the second coming album or the seashores album to see he's far more capable than just cracking out 5ths. :D

To say John squire 'strums a few chords' is an odd statement :) the guy can play, just listen to the second coming album or the seashores album to see he's far more capable than just cracking out 5ths. :D
Depends what you mean by 'far more capable'. I've not heard anything Squire has done that inspires me.

As ever, 'the music has the ear of the listener'.

Reni's also an amazing drummer, Pete Townshend viewed him as the most gifted drummer since Keith Moon

... and he's a pretty good multi-instrumentalist - also did the piano parts, and Mani even views him as a technically better bassist than himself, and also quite a funny bloke who then gave it all up

Reni's also an amazing drummer, Pete Townshend viewed him as the most gifted drummer since Keith Moon

... and he's a pretty good multi-instrumentalist - also did the piano parts, and Mani even views him as a technically better bassist than himself, and also quite a funny bloke who then gave it all up
I don't think he meant 'talent wise' Krish.......... :D

I suppose this is the issue? What is a good guitarist? I'm no fan of Johnny Marr either, so............. as for inspiration, well, I'd rather have a few real quality guitarists having a go than millions who are into indie, and therefore can strum a few chords (that's all you need for indie), but in reality have **** all to offer. ;)

As for fret ******* like Malmsteen, you can keep em' too! :cool:

johnny marr is a great guitarist, but his most commonly known work on the smiths doesn't really demonstrate his capabilities, although they were a pretty tight band the smiths. i preferred his work with matt johnson and the The

i also remember johnny playing guitar onstage with george michael to faith at net aid. especially as the song panic is a response to radio one playing "I'm your man" by wham! right after the chernobyl disaster was announced on the radio news

johnny marr is a great guitarist, but his most commonly known work on the smiths doesn't really demonstrate his capabilities, although they were a pretty tight band the smiths. i preferred his work with matt johnson and the The

i also remember johnny playing guitar onstage with george michael to faith at net aid. especially as the song panic is a response to radio one playing "I'm your man" by wham! right after the chernobyl disaster was announced on the radio news
Matter of opinion. :rolleyes: I saw Marr on a 'Worlds greatest guitarist' round up show on one of the music channels and frankly it was embarrassing listening to 'Marr the virtuoso's' pathetic offerings compared with the real greats on the same show.

I like both the Smiths and The The, but that doesn't mean that Marr is a 'great guitarist'. :facepalm:

As above, Blur were a good crack, but that doesn't mean Coxon's up to much. I know this will go down like a lead balloon, but I don't rate Noel Gallagher either.

All are ok rhythm guitarists but none are great leads.

Bit like Keith Richards (another over-rated lead).

Noel has never been rated as a guitarist, mainly songwriter.

After seeing Ian Brown throw a strop at T in the Park im no longer interested:thumbsdow

martin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom