The Sting 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the Review Simon. Interesting about the choices made to achieve a real period look to it.

unground

As much as I love the film, I fear I might be frustrated with soft focus and changing grain structures on a 4k disc. Sounds like the cinematography might have been over-thought. Too much of a good thing and all that. Is it apparent enough to be off-putting?

flashf1

As much as I love the film, I fear I might be frustrated with soft focus and changing grain structures on a 4k disc. Sounds like the cinematography might have been over-thought. Too much of a good thing and all that. Is it apparent enough to be off-putting?
Agreed. I am going to rent it on itunes first for €3.99 - this will tell me if I want to buy the disc or not

gadget man

Watched this for the first time, what a fantastic movie, excellent picture quality i see no issues was filmed this way. Shame no original mono but this is now my favourite 4k disc this year.

encaser

OK. So once it gets going proper it is much improved and/or fine PQ wise.
As this is one of the first films I saw at the cinema (and can remember at 5), I'll be checking this out for sure.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Definite pick up for me at some point - shall I put it in the old digibook though?

terencejames

I remember laying on the sofa, one hungover Sunday afternoon, flicking through the channels the first time I saw this. It actually got me sitting upright and fully focused before the final credits rolled. I can't pay it a bigger compliment than that! Two genuine, A-list movie stars at the top of their game along with Robert Shaw. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
It’s not off putting. It is noticeable however. But it’s not anything to put me off from watching this over and over again during my life lol.
It’s not going to look better and the picture foibles are just what they are. The film is so good you can look past these, least I can

Would have loved the mono track and surely not better disc/version to include it. But the sound is decent enough and as mentioned the dialogue is very nicely centred without it feeling unnaturally so.

I thoroughly recommend picking this up. If you have means of renting and knowing you’ll continue to watch, then buying on disc after, depending on your thoughts of PQ is a good route.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I understand the obsession with crisp razor sharp clarity, understand but don't get it. True classics like this should be viewed in the way it was intended with the clearer scenes adding to it as the author says. But overall I don't want an over processed piece, I want some character and feeling of the period in movies like this.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
I understand the obsession with crisp razor sharp clarity, understand but don't get it. True classics like this should be viewed in the way it was intended with the clearer scenes adding to it as the author says. But overall I don't want an over processed piece, I want some character and feeling of the period in movies like this.
I don't think it's an issue and definitely don't want overly processed pictures, but the thing with UHD restorations and their earlier Blu Ray or DVD releases was the fact that while a film has always looked the way it has, the added resolution and work done on the restoration show's the creators intent more so than ever before. Sometimes this can just take you aback a bit.

But reading a review is one thing, seeing the film is the only way to judge if any "issues' bother you. You can clearly see the changes in The Sting, but seeing them as intended, makes for a fine experience that doesn't always come across as well when reading about it.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
That’s true and a good point

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom