The Stand Season 1 Premiere (Starz) TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I wasn't going to bother with this but you and the 'new' pandemic lockdown are drawing me in, no doubt, to yet another King weak ejaculation of a finish, Cas - there's a horror image for you.
Johnny Depp must be so pleased for his sane ex Amber.
4K , so shouldn't be too dusty.

Thanks Cas,
Finished ep3, not has strong as previous two... not quite hit the heights of the The Outsider just yet, momentum is slowly building as we now see more of Flagg.
I read the book like many decades ago and at the time and still is a classic, the double VHS set in the 90s was also quite good too.
Irony watching this in the times we currently reside in don't you think..........................

Is it the StarzPlay channel Cas? It's currently 99p p/m for 3 months for Prime members, but that offer ends 06/01.

Is it the StarzPlay channel Cas? It's currently 99p p/m for 3 months for Prime members, but that offer ends 06/01.

Yes that's it. That offer has been running on and off for a year now, so if you miss it, it should come around again. But yes, defo consider the 99p one a great deal considering some of the exclusive content.

Thsi is my favourite King book, even to the point I enjoyed the old miniseries, flaws and all. It's just a great story. I'm all over this! Thanks for the review, Cas.

Thanks Cas,
Finished ep3, not has strong as previous two... not quite hit the heights of the The Outsider just yet, momentum is slowly building as we now see more of Flagg.
I read the book like many decades ago and at the time and still is a classic, the double VHS set in the 90s was also quite good too.
Irony watching this in the times we currently reside in don't you think..........................
I can only see one episode available?

I remember favourably the original series so combined with your review I might have given this show a chance. Even if you have been much more charitable than other reviews and audience scores I've seen. But with a well known abuser involved, there's no chance.

I remember favourably the original series so combined with your review I might have given this show a chance. Even if you have been much more charitable than other reviews and audience scores I've seen. But with a well known abuser involved, there's no chance.

It probably helps I've only seen/reviewed one episode. Who knows where it might go. But I want to see more, so that bodes well.

As for Amber, she hasn't popped up yet so it didn't really bother me, I only just picked up on that after reading the review and it doesn't (so far) change the property for me. Understand your reasoning, but I'd still consider watching the first episode to see if you like it.

The original series was great, and I thoroughly loved recently revisiting it, but I do like the tone they've taken with this, and it is a lot more polished than what we got in the 90s lol.

Yeah, I thought the opening episode was strong. Great performances all round and some pretty heavyweight names in there too. Feels like the showrunners really love the material, you can feel that. And everyone is bringing their A-game. Very promising!

Yeah, I thought the opening episode was strong. Great performances all round and some pretty heavyweight names in there too. Feels like the showrunners really love the material, you can feel that. And everyone is bringing their A-game. Very promising!

Yeah there are plenty of unexpected cameos - hell even the President's "voice" is a well-known name.

Can't say no to JK Simmons (Still frightens me from Whiplash) :D

The original series was great until that massive National Lottery Hand moment....

This is weak in so many areas . The flash forward and back structure is deeply annoying offering little in the way of following a character's development arc. I counted 5 separate time frames for a single character in one episode.

The actors seem hopelessly miscast and performances are dull.

The cinematography is bland and cramped in the extreme. It looks worse than the previous serious and eveb more set bound and hokey

The jump scares are so predictable , the pandemic feels like its over and done in a day. I really don't think I can stick with this and I'm a big fan of the book.

Even the music is off kilter and not in a good way. Just feels amateurish and pointless . Really disappointing.

Cheers Cas, was wondering whether you or Tom would be on this one :)

I'm looking forward to it, and I know I've said in the other thread already that it's got a different ending to the book, and that is why I'll be sticking around on this one regardless.

Perfect viewing for what's currently happening in the world as well. Although some may disagree there.

This is weak in so many areas . The flash forward and back structure is deeply annoying offering little in the way of following a character's development arc. I counted 5 separate time frames for a single character in one episode.

The cinematography is bland and cramped in the extreme. It looks worse than the previous serious and eveb more set bound and hokey

The jump scares are so predictable , the pandemic feels like its over and done in a day. I really don't think I can stick with this and I'm a big fan of the book.

Even the music is off kilter and not in a good way. Just feels amateurish and pointless . Really disappointing.
The onle thing I will concede to this is that I agree that the flashback/flashforward structure takes a lot more away from the story than it provides. The Stand is definitely better told as a linear narrative that moves between characters, but not between time periods.

I thought all the performances were great. And cramped cinematography? Well. It's a TV show... so... ;)

Watched the first three episodes, and I'm not convinced. Yes it seems to be hitting all the right plot points, but just something feels off about it. Big big fan of the book and enjoyed the 90's TV series (with all of its many faults), but so far... not loving it.
It's non linear time lines seen very off putting, some of the casting seems odd (Amber completely phoning it in, and M-O-O-N Tom Cullen is completely miscast), and for all that the budget must be pretty hefty, the 90's series shows the after effects of the pandemic in a much more realistic manner (empty streets / towns / roads etc).
I'll watch it (being possibly my fave book of all time), but not as good as I was expecting.

This times 1000. Not joking I made it through less than 20 mins on Episode 1 and turned it off. I love The Stand as source material but every single aspect of the production from the editing, writing to the acting is what I hate about shows that have the feeling of a standard US network tv drama.

Yes that's it. That offer has been running on and off for a year now, so if you miss it, it should come around again. But yes, defo consider the 99p one a great deal considering some of the exclusive content.
I thought this Channel is coming to Disney+.

The trailer looked good but it’s been done before and the way it’s done looks suspect. The fact no decent networks in the U.K. picked it up says a lot to me. Maybe I’ll catch it on my next long haul plane flight

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom