1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Specified network name is no longer valid - your ideas please!?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Monty Burns, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi Guys

I appreciate that this is not really the forum to post this question but sadly I have very limited web access at the moment: limited to work premises only and an over zealous web proxy :suicide:

I'm trying to setup a new media server for someone (just using xp pro) but im getting an error when trying to access various files of diferent lengths from one of the clients, be it either a laptop which shows "The Specified network name is no longer valid" or the Xbox which just freezes (its error handling isn't as advanced as windows ;) .

After acknowledging the dialogue on the laptop client I can then re-open that browse box fine with no delay or issue - i still can't copy the offending files though.

As said, this only happens on *some* files. For example I have copied all of XBMC (a few thousand files of various lengths, a few bytes to 5 meg) and one of the couple of files that won't copy is only 132k in size!

Now here's the details:

The files which get stuck are of diferent types and lengths and just will not network copy using smb.

The files are not corrupt and can be copied/deleted/viewed/edited on the server. Its not an NTFS security issue. Event logs show no information regarding to this on either the media server or laptop.

It's all running over a Linksys 54g network and all other network functionality appears to be fine.

The Xbox is using XBMC. The laptop and server are both XP Pro SP2 patched up to the very latest levels.

I've run this through google and technet without any luck. Two MCSE's and I can't solve it, so i'm looking for a self-taught guru with a stroke of genius to save me (and my hair!).

:lease: Please, someone save me! :D

2. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think what's happening is that the wireless connections are silently dropping and reconnecting. You need to improve the wireless range as it must be pretty bad. I only used to get this on very large files.

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Nope. Full signal connecting at 54g (Excellent).

Why would this be the case if its doing it to some files at 132k and yet others are over 5 meg and copy fine, all the time. After a lot of work i finaly found out its always the same files. Xbox font files called .XPR are griefing me. They fail to copy EVERY time over WiFi either FTP or SMB but copy every single time when plugged in (ethernet). Now just to confuse matters more, i also found out that an ISO image (of a vcd) also failed! Yet others are fine.

Im thinking its something to with the file itself, maybe a byte inside it (or combination) that my router is failing on. I know this is VERY unlikely but ...... <shrug>

A friend of mine has also suggested that it may be that the packet size needs to be dropped to less than the frame size. He said he has encountered issues (with HP equipment) where the router had issues repackaging the packet from a wifi packet to an ethernet packet. Again unlikely but worth a try.

At work now but I will be trying both when I get home.

Cheers for the thoughts though :)

4. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Oh and when I watching the VCD that failed the network was only streaming around 300K/s, I frequently see it running at around 1800k/s fine.

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    Monty, I was just about to suggest the packet size reduction myself.. I'd def. give this one a go..

6. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hey dude :hiya:

Interstingly I did play with this last night before my friend spoke to me today in my own vain efforts to try n resolve this.

I *think* the default packet size was 2346 and I dropped it to 2048. This did reduce a lot of errors and the network obviously speeded up somewhat. Im gonna try this first, see if it works, if it doesn't then last ditch effort of a router firmware upgrade.

(tbh, the firmware upgrade will go on it anyway, just would like to see if the packet size fixes it first!)

If it doesn't then im gonna get his CCNA rear end out here and fix the Linksys (Cisco) gear! :rotfl:

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    try dropping the RTS value to something along the lines of 1000 or less, and see what happens..

RTS/CS is a godsend if you've got multiple clients communicating with each other wirelessly... a nice low value should avoid all collision/retrans problems, but will add some overhead to performance... start off nice and low, and if it helps things, just increment the value until you get network performance back without problems.

See if you can adjust RTS threshold to a matching value on your Wlan NICs too, though not always possible..

At the default value of 2346, RTS/CS is turned off.. ;)

8. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hmmm also interesting ideas Dude, cheers!

Didn't get to try them last night, got distracted by the GF ;-)

Will have a go tonight instead.

9. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Is there any pattern in the length of the filenames that fail? I know there is a limit to the number of characters the xbox filesystem can handle, I think it's 42 characters.

10. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Sadly not Rob, and even worse, it also fails from Pc to Pc. Nice idea though!

11. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Well Guys, i finaly cracked it last night.

I dropped the packet down to 1000. No joy. I played with the RTS. No Joy. I was about to give up and think this is never gonna work when I remembered the firmware which, by the way, had NOTHING in the readme notes about network packets/traffic etc.

I applied this, the router rebooted itself and coolio! All worked! It now copies the offending files.

I guess Linksys do more than what they suggest they do in the readme notes.

Cheers for your help guys and suggestions! :thumbsup:

*edit* Oh yeah, its also back to its default settings for things like packet size etc and still getting around 1800k/s.