The Sound Counsel - News, Reviews & Special Offers

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
pi-logo-no-strap.jpg

Power Inspired News

The replacement for the AG1500S is on its way. One of the most affordable mains re-generators will soon be back with a different cloak on. I still run the older version of one of these at home and the sonic benefits from a constant stable power supply cannot be underestimated.

VFI1000.JPG

You can view the new brochure HERE.

As yet we don't have any prices but we expect to see our demonstration unit and customer loan unit delivered before the end of the year with a fair wind.

Ill update this page as soon as I have further news.​

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
HI Dan

How do you rate the Anthem STR Pre Amplifier ? , it looks an interesting product
Hi Glenn,

In a word, excellent. I've sold a number of these since it was launched and I think it offers something different to the usual run of the mill hifi pre amplifier on the market at this price. I tend to think of it as a lite version of the Trinnov Amethyst although the Trinnov is really on a different level sonically. The STR was one of the first items on the demo kit list when we opened.

There have been a few reviews of the STR products over the last year or so, pretty much all of them positive. I think if the new AVR's sound half as good at the Hifi kit we are in for a treat.

Dan

GlennC

Hi Glenn,
In a word, excellent. I've sold a number of these since it was launched and I think it offers something different to the usual run of the mill hifi pre amplifiers on the market at this price. I tend to think of it as a lite version of the Trinnov Amethyst although the Trinnov is really on a different level sonically. The STR was one of the first items on the demo kit list when we opened.

There have been a few reviews of the STR products over the last year or so, pretty much all of them positive. I think if the new AVR's sound half as good at the Hifi kit we are in for a treat.

Dan

Dan

Many thanks for the response in the middle of a full system re-revamp to make it more oriented toward music and the Anthem STR range is very interesting as I would like a level of room correction to help with sub integration.

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Dan

Many thanks for the response in the middle of a full system re-revamp to make it more oriented toward music and the Anthem STR range is very interesting as I would like a level of room correction to help with sub integration.
Indeed, one of its strengths. We have a demo model we can loan out if you wanted to hear one. Just get in touch when you are ready.

Dan

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
sumiko.jpg

Sumiko Songbird - £899

IMG_0532.JPG

We have added to our Sumiko range on demonstration. Given the performance of the Blue Point Special EVO III, I cant wait to get this mounted and see what it can do.​

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor

Christmas and the New Year are fast approaching and as our 2020 projects will all be wrapped up this week, a festive break is in order. This year has had plenty of challenges but ours have been minor in comparison to many. We are acutely aware how fortunate we are to take a holiday and immensely grateful to everyone who chose to purchase from us this year. Almost all sectors need support going forward into 2021 but if we are to continue to have real choice of goods and move customer service forward the independent sector is vital. If you can buy from an independent outlet please do consider that.

The Sound Counsel will be on holiday from Wednesday 23rd December and will re-open for enquires in the New Year on Monday January 4th refreshed and ready to go.

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!

Nick & Dan​

Last edited:

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
unnamed.jpg

Capture.JPG

Audiovector joins The Sound Counsel

We are now official dealers for Autovector loudspeakers. These have been on my radar for years, and now, we can finally represent them in the UK which we are very excited about.

In 1979, Ole Klifoth founded Audiovector with a desire to make the perfect loudspeaker for the global high-end market. The vision of the company is still, to produce high quality and natural sounding loudspeakers for music lovers and audiophiles around the world. Mads Klifoth, CEO and owner has a great desire to honour this unique DNA and tradition. Audiovector products are handcrafted from the finest materials and hand assembled with great detail and care. Every loudspeaker is designed, developed and produced in-house to exceptional standards.

AUDIOVECTOR is a family owned company based in Copenhagen, Denmark.

We will shortly have some units on demonstration and when normality returns we would love to let you listen to them.

www.audiovector.com

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Davone.PNG

Solo in Limited Edition Teak Finish

As wood lovers, Davone always wanted to try working with teak because it has this unique orange-like glow. But teak can be difficult to work with and it can be quite extreme in its texture. By handpicking finishes at the supplier of raw veneers in Hamburg, their hand picked selection means the finish on this new limited edition is super consistent. Davone now have a limited number of teak Solo available. In the pictures above and below, the Solo to the left is shown with Walnut veneer, the Solo on the right shows the teak veneer. Because of the work involved it is not likely they will ever make speakers in teak again, so check with us for availability and pricing before they are gone. All wood finishes are from a sustainable source.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
thumb_615_default_small.jpeg

Lumin joins The Sound Counsel

One of the best reviewed streaming brands of the past few years has arrived in store. Having tested a number of streamers we found that the Lumin products didn't really wane in the face of any, and as a result it will be a brand which we will be proud to support going forward.

We currently have a D2 on demonstration with an X1 to follow shortly.

lumin.PNG

lumin2.PNG

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Capture.PNG

Roon Labs joins The Sound Counsel

If you have not tried Roon as an interface and you do a lot of streaming, you should. It really has revolutionised the way streaming music is presented and with the number of brands producing compatible devices it looks like it will continue to be the go to interface for serious digital music consumers.

roon2.PNG

Being an official re-seller means we can supply both Nucleus products to use as your Roon "core".

ROON WEBSITE HERE

Last edited:

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Anthem MRX & AVM

Anthem.JPG

We still have very limited stock of MRX740 & AVM70 from our first batch if anyone is still on the lookout. First impressions of our demonstration units are positive and I hope to have my initial thoughts on paper shortly.
Dan

drop us an email at - [email protected]

Last edited:

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor

Ascendo-Immersive-Audio-Scotland-logo.jpg

We really like Ascendo not just for their crazy huge subs but also for the speakers and more modest sized subwoofers. Getting on the ladder with the Ascendo sound is now that much easier with the all new SV-12. The new subwoofer still uses a 12″ drive unit so not quite as discreet as some units but when you marry the output to articulation the SV-12 is one serious package. Factor in the price and this should be the most popular Ascendo subwoofer yet. On paper the SV-12 is not hitting the lowest of frequencies but the ones it does hit can all be delivered with real power and control behind them. No point in going really low if all the sound nearby is reduced or fuzzy, give us a call if you wish to discuss bass.

SV12-front-web-500x500.jpg

The ASCENDO SV-12 subwoofer @ £899 sets the standard for bass output, low distortion, and affordability. With chest thumping bass that plays deep down the SV12 subwoofer unleashes cinema level volume, with the ability to convey and articulate the subtle nuances of music.​

Last edited:

nigelk1

View attachment 1394122
MRX & AVM 2020/21

View attachment 1394120

Nick and I have been working with Anthem since before the launch of the original MRX300, cutting our teeth on the mighty impressive D2V back in 2006 at The Home Cinema Centre. As one of the UK’s longest standing Anthem dealers we have high expectations of the new range and where would a key product launch be without an attractive opening gambit? If you have purchased an AV amplifier or processor from us at The Sound Counsel we will give you 100% of its purchase price* against any upgrade to the new Anthem MRX or AVM products. For those who have shopped with us before but not at The Sound Counsel we are offering a great returning customer promotion and for anybody looking for a new dealer with years of experience and a different approach to service we have plenty to offer you as well. Contact us for a tailored package.

*The amplifier must be in full working order with remote​
Wow, I wish the dealer I bought mine from had offered this.

nigelk1

Sorry I didn’t type my message properly. What I meant was I wish fhey were offering this sort of deal so I could trade my avm60 in for an avm70.

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Sorry I didn’t type my message properly. What I meant was I wish fhey were offering this sort of deal so I could trade my avm60 in for an avm70.
Have you got the original receipt, I might be able to get close for you?

Dan

nigelk1

I'm trying to get a copy of it from Hifi Corner, as I was having problems with the Lexicon RV-9/MC-10 at the time, and ended up with the AVM60 instead. So I have a few receipts and payment requests, but looks like I didn't get a final one for the AVM60.

I paid £2994 in April 2020.

Is there a rack mount kit available for the AVM70, or does the AVM60 version fit ?

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor

I'm trying to get a copy of it from Hifi Corner, as I was having problems with the Lexicon RV-9/MC-10 at the time, and ended up with the AVM60 instead. So I have a few receipts and payment requests, but looks like I didn't get a final one for the AVM60.

I paid £2994 in April 2020.

Is there a rack mount kit available for the AVM70, or does the AVM60 version fit ?
It might be best to continue this on PM but I can surely help you, I think we can extend the same offer to you on upgrade almost as if you did originally buy it from us. Let me know.

Dan

Last edited:

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Anthem MRX740 Review – Is it any good?

Capture.JPG

Our first thoughts are up on the Anthem MRX740, I will likely do a follow up in a month or two but overall the results were very positive.

Read it HERE

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Opening Hours

Capture.JPG

A quick note that we will be closed this Friday, re-opening on Tuesday of next week.

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Capture.JPG

The start of Velodyne's new range subwoofers are here The Deep Blue (DB) series is a brand new subwoofer platform development based on Velodyne Acoustics technologies with a modern styling, unmatched performance with a dynamic and accurate output. Velodyne have been as good as it gets for bass for some time and have been a firm favourite with us for a number of years, having run in our range of new Deep Blue subwoofers it would appear that this tradition continues. We expect to see a further two ranges in the coming year with some really special bass weapons in the offing.

DB Range.jpg

DB Range side.jpg

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
CEC logo.JPG

We are now stockists of some of the best digital CD playback systems in the world, from mythical manufacturer C.E.C. To put is very simplistically C.E.C produce very analogue sounding digital devices, packed with soul. This comes from their unique deployment of a belt drive for the mechanism.

The development of the CEC Belt Dive System started on the technical premise that in their basic form, analogue turntables and digital CD players are fundamentally the same. Although the speed of a CD varies, the change takes place in tiny increments. In other words the speed during a certain time period can be seen as constant.

Based on this result CEC developed a completely new CD playback system, which is free from acoustic feedback, has a higher signal to noise ratio and eliminates jitter. For this development CEC has worldwide patent rights.

Test reports in international magazines as well as the testimony of our satisfied customers worldwide confirm that they have achieved music reproduction on its highest level.

DSC00989.JPG

DSC00992.JPG

DSC00993.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom